15" Villager did a great job today.

This is my first khukuri! I was surprised how strong this little villager is. I filled my truck with limbs and it was still very sharp at the end of the job. Great hard working knife! I originally bought it for my wife but I fell in love with it. Mine now...

Last edited:
I have a couple villagers. The older ones were pretty close to one ounce per inch ratio, which makes them perfect for almost everything except heavy chopping. I recently picked up one of Kumars villagers and in addition to being flawless and having a more western-sized handle, it is heavier and could perform some chopping too. Although I would always fall back to an M43 or CAK for really heavy stuff. Thats a great knife you (um your wife) has there.

Nice job Eric! Beautiful Villager. I think you got the right idea. If you buy Khuks for you wife she cant get mad at you for having too many eh?

You combine this with a SILKY saw and you can clear a forest - with no gas fumes or excessive noise and a low sweat equity. :thumbsup: :)

I enjoy reading your (wife's) enthusiasm for the HI Khuks!!

Ray

You combine this with a SILKY saw and you can clear a forest - with no gas fumes or excessive noise and a low sweat equity. :thumbsup: :)

I enjoy reading your (wife's) enthusiasm for the HI Khuks!!

Ray
Time to upgrade from my folding Bahco saw. I LOVE! Hand-saws.. I've been known to cut all kinds of stuff with my Bahco (Portugal) Bow Saw, when sane people use chain saws...hmmmm....

I love them, truly. I'll have to learn more about 'silky'.

See that vise being put to good use?! :D :D

I enjoy a clean sharp bow saw very much and it definitely has its place! Gotta keep it clean, sharp and set tho and it will cut like nuthin else cept maybe a good Khuk! I used one for building log cabins long ago and it worked wonderfully. I didnt know what a Khuk was then...too bad:) Thing is you dont have to keep your khuk sharp and it will still cut and it packs much easier. I think tho if I had to build a cabin today id still go for the bow saw. After the cabin was built id live with a Khuk from then on.

Ive built two and a half of them by myself with a bow saw but I wouldnt do it again without my Stihl and some help. The third one I got about six feet high and declared id never do it again and I stuck to my guns. I put a pitched roof and three bunks in that one and never again!!! The fourth one was underground with a shovel and had three rooms and a fireplace and same goes again...never again without a backhoe:D

Sounds like a lot of work. I like the idea of the underground one. Do you have pictures of any of them?

Last edited:
Ive built two and a half of them by myself with a bow saw but I wouldnt do it again without my Stihl and some help. The third one I got about six feet high and declared id never do it again and I stuck to my guns. I put a pitched roof and three bunks in that one and never again!!! The fourth one was underground with a shovel and had three rooms and a fireplace and same goes again...never again without a backhoe:D
nuts... you are

If you have any, I would love to see a picture of those cabins.

No pics. That was over 40 years ago. I do have witnesses tho! The underground one was more notable. There were tunnels between the rooms. I had dugouts in the walls lined with aluminum foil and candles to light the place but the great room with the fireplace was the best room. Snakes and critters sure liked it when we were gone during the week tho. We rode dirt bikes up to it and had to hide them under brush so my brothers and their friends wouldnt see them if they just happen to be riding by. If we found each others "forts" they usually got wrecked by each other so they were pretty well hidden if we could help it. We werent very nice to each other. Sibling rivalry you might say. Thats why we made log cabins. They are kinda hard to wreck unless you set them on fire. They never found the underground ones and they dont burn:D We always had our shotguns with us tho so good thing we were not old enough and dumb enough to use them on each other yet. If someone wrecked my house now id shoot em no problem! Life was much more rational when you were young eh?

Dang. Too bad no pictures. You should take up painting and post one of the cabin. That is one heck of a story, I mean... childhood? No wonder you are the kind of character that likes to hang out here.

Thats not a VUK is it? Looks like a Kumar villager AK. ...uh scratch all that. After looking at the second pic it does look like a KVUK.

Last edited:
Thanks. At the time of this post I just thought it was simply a "villager model". I didn't know there are VUK, KVUK, KLVUK, amongst other villagers. But this 15" Kumar Villager Utility is still my favorite and a tried & true worker. Yangdu is having Kumar make a 25" Kumar Villager Gelbu Special for me. I really look forward to it.

Last edited:
25" Kumar Villager Gelbu Special! Now that will be a very fine knife! Maybe she will make two of them?
I got an update on the 25" Kumar Villager Gelbu Special he is making! Yangdu thinks it will be here in about a month. Now I'm catching a bad case of TBAS. Triangle-Box-Anticipation-Syndrome.

Back