~150$ EDC Knife Combination?

Hey guys. I am currently switching up my EDC knife between the Delica 4 and the Leek 1660. However, I just want to buy more knives (I'm addicted at this point)... I want to add them to my collection, but I would also like them to be used for EDC. Here is a list of what I've been thinking: (I also threw in a flashlight in there... I don't necessary need one, but I guess it could be cool.)

- FENIX PD10 r2 - 55$
- Kershaw Scallion - 40$
- Kershaw OD-2 - 20$
- Kershaw EnerG - 64$
- Kershaw Blur - 75$
- Spyderco Tenacious - 40$
- Spyderco Endura 4 - 80$
- Spyderco Manix 2 - 80$
- Buck Vantage Pro - 60$

Let me know what you guys think. I just want to get the best balance of quality and quantity for the value of 150$

Also, if you have your own combination that you would like to suggest to me, feel free :)

Last edited:
Hey guys. I am currently switching up my EDC knife between the Delica 4 and the Leek 1660. However, I just want to buy more knives... I want to add them to my collection, but I would also like them to be used for EDC. Here is a list of what I've been thinking: (I also threw in a flashlight in there... I don't necessary need one, but I guess it could be cool.)

- FENIX PD10 r2 - 55$
- Kershaw Scallion - 40$
- Kershaw OD-2 - 20$
- Kershaw EnerG - 64$
- Kershaw Blur - 75$
- Spyderco Tenatious - 40$
- Spyderco Manix 2 - 80$

Let me know what you guys think. I just want to get the best balance of quality and quantity for the value of 150$

How big of a knife do you want? The Manix 2 is the nicest knife on that list and is a good heavy duty use folder. I would get that for sure and then get a scallion as a smaller size knife to round out your EDC choices. Figure out something else to do with the other $30.

Or you could get just one knife and go with something from the ZT series or one of the higher end Spydies. :D

Sterile blemished ZDP-189 blur and a manix 2. you will be inundated with suggestions for the manix 2, and so i am just going to get on the bandwagon first. blur is just an awesome knife, and ZDP is awesome, and the manix 2 is weird and different, while still seeming to be halfway decent.

Disclaimer: I do not own the manix, and so this is going off the recommendations of other people.

How big of a knife do you want? The Manix 2 is the nicest knife on that list and is a good heavy duty use folder. I would get that for sure and then get a scallion as a smaller size knife to round out your EDC choices. Figure out something else to do with the other $30.

Or you could get just one knife and go with something from the ZT series or one of the higher end Spydies. :D

I realize that the Manix 2 is the biggest knife on my list but it's just so nice XD. I don't think I will be able to EDC it though.. which is the main problem. Unless I see it in person I wouldn't be able to really picture it. My hands are quite small so the Manix 2 might prove a problem for me. That's why I'm posting my list here, to get your guys's opinions

Sterile blemished ZDP-189 blur and a manix 2. you will be inundated with suggestions for the manix 2, and so i am just going to get on the bandwagon first. blur is just an awesome knife, and ZDP is awesome, and the manix 2 is weird and different, while still seeming to be halfway decent.

Disclaimer: I do not own the manix, and so this is going off the recommendations of other people.

Isn't the Blur a bit big for EDC? I also don't really know what blemished means lol. If it means what I think it means, then the retailer I'm buying my knives from does not sell blemished blurs. I live in Canada, so my retailers are quite limited

I realize that the Manix 2 is the biggest knife on my list but it's just so nice XD. I don't think I will be able to EDC it though.. which is the main problem. Unless I see it in person I wouldn't be able to really picture it. My hands are quite small so the Manix 2 might prove a problem for me. That's why I'm posting my list here, to get your guys's opinions

Check out this link. 3.25" assisted opening ZT knife in your price range. Amazing for the price.

http://www.sonomacutlery.com/store/product.php?productid=17516

Check out this link. 3.25" assisted opening ZT knife in your price range. Amazing for the price.

http://www.sonomacutlery.com/store/product.php?productid=17516

I find Zero Tolerance knives to be way too wide for my EDC tasks. I mean.. I find the Kershaw blur and the Manix 2 to be a little to big for EDC, and the ZT350 is bigger than both of them. I have seen many people use the ZT350 for EDC though... I guess they just don't mind the size or the weight of 6.2 ounces

You have a Kershaw and a Spyderco already. If you're going for a collection, try Buck Vantage Pro (large) for around $60. Blade is 3.25" of S30V steel. Not too large nor heavy for EDC.

You have a Kershaw and a Spyderco already. If you're going for a collection, try Buck Vantage Pro (large) for around $60. Blade is 3.25" of S30V steel. Not too large nor heavy for EDC.

Good Point, That's an amazing price for an S30V blade. I added it to my list :D. Thanks!

the manix is quite thick in the pocket. it doesn't ride snug to the back, it fills a fair bit of the pocket opening.

I'll throw another suggestion into the pile: Spyderco Sage 1. Great value, excellent fit and finish, good ergos, and a good blade shape. They can be had for about $100US. Then, you can spend the extra $50 on a decent flashlight. For flashlights, I like 4Sevens.

I'll throw another suggestion into the pile: Spyderco Sage 1. Great value, excellent fit and finish, good ergos, and a good blade shape. They can be had for about $100US. Then, you can spend the extra $50 on a decent flashlight. For flashlights, I like 4Sevens.

I really like the sage, but I find it a little too expensive for me. I am limited to only a few Canadian online retailers, so I won't be able to find really good prices on knives. I know I'm being picky, but i feel like if I bought a knife for over 100 bucks, I would be too scared to use it

If your on a limited budget I would buy a lightly used example. I'm in Canada too so I know what you mean about the prices and availability :( I bought a Benchmade 890 torrent from a great guy in the CPF market place. (He was in the states so you do have options) It was about half the price of a new one when you factor in the taxes and such.

For a new light/knife I personally would try to buy the best I could afford. You can only carry so much at one time and I've learned from experience that 10 cheap knives are not as good as 1 nice one ;)

Before I bought a really nice knife I didn't think I would want to use it for work for fear of damaging it. Once you start using it though you won't want to go back to cheap stuff. To get you over that you could buy a quality knife thats been used a bit. It will be cheaper that way and since it's already a little scratched it's not that big a deal.

Last edited:
Isn't the Blur a bit big for EDC? I also don't really know what blemished means lol. If it means what I think it means, then the retailer I'm buying my knives from does not sell blemished blurs. I live in Canada, so my retailers are quite limited

Blemished = factory seconds, which can be ordered through a seller in the dealer section of this forum, might be worth checking if he'd ship to Canada. Blurs are a great EDC, not too big at all. Overall I'd place them as a medium+ sized folder, not large, fits your whole hand on the handle comfortably, but doesn't leave much handle at all past your pinky (at least for me). Very high quality knife for the money, and a tremendously solid EDC/working knife.

If you want a smaller knife, I can't recommend the Scallion enough, EDC'd one for years, then picked up another after I broke and lost that one, and eventually wore out the liner of the replacement and never bothered sending it into Kershaw (since gave it away) Great knife design with a lot of cutting ability for the size, and will handle 95% of knife tasks for most people.

I have a spyderco tenacious and Manix 2 and love them both. You get a lot of knife for your money with either of those.

check out both the Spyderco Persistence and the Ambitious. they are the smaller versions of the Tenacious. Same exact knife, just smaller versions of. i'm like you, i need medium or small EDCs for my life. Love my ZT 0350 as a knife, but it's too big for EDC for me. So was my Tenacious.

+1 on the Buck Vantage Pro (S30V steel version). really like the low-rider clip, great lock-up. sits nice and low, secure and low-key compared to other blades b/c of that clip's location.

i really like the ergonomics (and looks) of the Spyderco Native. the native is the 'love it' or 'hate it' knife of the spyderco world. see if it appeals to you. great handle / hold / blade-style / comfort for me personally, i really like the looks. others don't. plus it's a size down from the manix or the sage, and a small step down in price too, unless you go with the newest full flat grind version. That one will blow your whole $150 all at once.

if it helps, my current EDC rotation choices:
1) couple neckers, not what you're looking for.
2) mediums - Persistence, Vantage Pro, Native, Benchmade Mini-Barrage, and a CF-handled Spyderco Phoenix i had modded just for me (that's my baby of the rotation)
3) smalls - Spyderco Dragonfly, Al Mar SLB, Kershaw Baby Boa, Spyderco Ambitious, and a CRKT Tiny Tighe plain edge. don't judge me on that CRKT, it's my guilty pleasure.:eek:

christ i wrote a novel, sorry about that.

not sure if you're ok with smaller near 3" blade
I find buck/strider 881 a good combo of sturdiness + compact, plus 4.1oz

again if you dont mind a smaller size knife

Hey guys. I am currently switching up my EDC knife between the Delica 4 and the Leek 1660. However, I just want to buy more knives (I'm addicted at this point)... I want to add them to my collection, but I would also like them to be used for EDC. Here is a list of what I've been thinking: (I also threw in a flashlight in there... I don't necessary need one, but I guess it could be cool.)

- FENIX PD10 r2 - 55$
- Kershaw Scallion - 40$
- Kershaw OD-2 - 20$
- Kershaw EnerG - 64$
- Kershaw Blur - 75$
- Spyderco Tenacious - 40$
- Spyderco Manix 2 - 80$
- Buck Vantage Pro - 60$

Also, if you have your own combination that you would like to suggest to me, feel free :)

buck vantage pro ($60)
kershaw skyline ($30-$40)
spyderco tenacious ($30-$40)

and for a light, i suggest trying the ITP A2 ($25), it's a real good light and great value. i edc an ITP A3.

A Benchmade 15020 Bone Collector, a thumbhole deployed 3.36" x .125" D2 blade with an AXIS lock, is a great EDC. A choice of contoured G10 handles including black, black & green (-1), and walnut (-2) combined with an MSRP of $145 make it an affordable choice. My local store had them at $100... a local store! If you want that knife a bit smaller, consider the 15030 variant - 2.95" x .115" D2 - MSRP $130. A great way to spend the remainder of the moola on a knife would include a Victorinox ALOX handled Farmer SAK.

If you really want a knife and a decent flashlight, consider the following: The Buck #347 Vantage Pro in S30V for $65 is a deal. My early production example is still perfect. A great flashlight bargain today can be had, believe it or not, in a Surefire - their 6PX Pro - $79 MSRP! It puts out a great 15 Lumens on the first click; 200 Lumens on the second. It's two CR123 diet isn't so bad if you order a box of Surefire CR123's for $21/12 with it. The Al cased light is also available in a plastic case. The aforementioned are all made in the USA, save the Swiss-made Farmer. Of course, the aforementioned prices are US $ - don't know what Canadian prices might be. Good luck!

Stainz

Back