~150$ EDC Knife Combination?

check out both the Spyderco Persistence and the Ambitious. they are the smaller versions of the Tenacious. Same exact knife, just smaller versions of. i'm like you, i need medium or small EDCs for my life. Love my ZT 0350 as a knife, but it's too big for EDC for me. So was my Tenacious.

+1 on the Buck Vantage Pro (S30V steel version). really like the low-rider clip, great lock-up. sits nice and low, secure and low-key compared to other blades b/c of that clip's location.

i really like the ergonomics (and looks) of the Spyderco Native. the native is the 'love it' or 'hate it' knife of the spyderco world. see if it appeals to you. great handle / hold / blade-style / comfort for me personally, i really like the looks. others don't. plus it's a size down from the manix or the sage, and a small step down in price too, unless you go with the newest full flat grind version. That one will blow your whole $150 all at once.

if it helps, my current EDC rotation choices:
1) couple neckers, not what you're looking for.
2) mediums - Persistence, Vantage Pro, Native, Benchmade Mini-Barrage, and a CF-handled Spyderco Phoenix i had modded just for me (that's my baby of the rotation)
3) smalls - Spyderco Dragonfly, Al Mar SLB, Kershaw Baby Boa, Spyderco Ambitious, and a CRKT Tiny Tighe plain edge. don't judge me on that CRKT, it's my guilty pleasure.:eek:

christ i wrote a novel, sorry about that.

Wow... I can't thank you enough. This is exactly what I was looking for. I want to carry small to medium EDC knives. I also want them to have a low riding pocket clip in order to keep them out of sight and low key. I guess I will get the buck vantage pro (Do you mean the small or the large version?) and either the Persistence or the Tenacious. I will look into the Spyderco Native, although it might look too dangerous for the sheeple. I really like the Benchmade mini-barrage because of it's assisted opening feature.. But it's like 115$.

So I guess here is what I have so far:

- Buck Vantage Pro -Small- 54$ Large- 64$ (Don't know which one to get)
- Spyderco Tenacious/Persistence -40$... Or maybe even Centofante 3. Many people seem to prefer the Centofante over the Persistance for EDC.
- Kershaw Scallion - 37$

That leaves me with a bit more to spend on whatever I want.. Like a lanyard or something.

What do you guys think of that?

Last edited:
spyderco sage 1 all the way, best folding knife i own and very much worth the money, and trust me you will want to use it

spyderco sage 1 all the way, best folding knife i own and very much worth the money, and trust me you will want to use it

I really like the Spyderco Sages, although they are slightly over my budget. I also find the carbon fiber handles too slippery compared to g10 and frn

Edit: I have found that tons of people really love the Sage for EDC. I am going to look more into it

Last edited:
Good selections; I totally endorse the Buck Vantage.

On the Native, I carried it for quite a while wit no comments from onlookers. And it's an amazingly comfortable knife.

Later on, when you're looking to spend more money, I strongly endorse the idea of a Mini Bone Collector. It's my edc now, and far and away the best handling knife I ever had.

Good luck and have fun with all your knife purchases.

Wow... I can't thank you enough. This is exactly what I was looking for. I want to carry small to medium EDC knives. I also want them to have a low riding pocket clip in order to keep them out of sight and low key. I guess I will get the buck vantage pro (Do you mean the small or the large version?) and either the Persistence or the Tenacious. I will look into the Spyderco Native, although it might look too dangerous for the sheeple. I really like the Benchmade mini-barrage because of it's assisted opening feature.. But it's like 115$.

So I guess here is what I have so far:

- Buck Vantage Pro -Small- 54$ Large- 64$ (Don't know which one to get)
- Spyderco Tenacious/Persistence -40$... Or maybe even Centofante 3. Many people seem to prefer the Centofante over the Persistance for EDC.
- Kershaw Scallion - 37$

That leaves me with a bit more to spend on whatever I want.. Like a lanyard or something.

What do you guys think of that?

I would prefer the Centofante over the Persistance with the better steel and the thinner blade spine profile which will make it a better food slicer for EDC.

I would prefer the Centofante over the Persistance with the better steel and the thinner blade spine profile which will make it a better food slicer for EDC.

I have gotten a bunch of suggestions for the Sage lately...
It's going to come down to:

Buck Vantage Pro -50$, Spyderco Centofante III - 60$, Kershaw Scallion - 32$ or EnerG - 50$

OR

Spyderco Sage 1 - 115$ and a cheap Kershaw under 40 bucks

Is the Sage really worth it in this case?

I would check out the Sage 3 if you think the carbon fiber is too slippery.

Also the Paramilitary 2 would be great.

Instead of the Fenix, I would check out the Quark mini 123 for about $35

I would check out the Sage 3 if you think the carbon fiber is too slippery.

Also the Paramilitary 2 would be great.

Instead of the Fenix, I would check out the Quark mini 123 for about $35

Paramilitary 2 is too big, and the Sage 3 is wayy over budget for a single knife. I think I'm going to get a Buck Vantage, Centofante 3, and a Kershaw Scallion

Hey guys. I am currently switching up my EDC knife between the Delica 4 and the Leek 1660. However, I just want to buy more knives (I'm addicted at this point)... I want to add them to my collection, but I would also like them to be used for EDC. Here is a list of what I've been thinking: (I also threw in a flashlight in there... I don't necessary need one, but I guess it could be cool.)

- FENIX PD10 r2 - 55$
- Kershaw Scallion - 40$
- Kershaw OD-2 - 20$
- Kershaw EnerG - 64$
- Kershaw Blur - 75$
- Spyderco Tenacious - 40$
- Spyderco Endura 4 - 80$
- Spyderco Manix 2 - 80$
- Buck Vantage Pro - 60$

Let me know what you guys think. I just want to get the best balance of quality and quantity for the value of 150$

Also, if you have your own combination that you would like to suggest to me, feel free :)

I totally hear you on the knife addiction... I've had to write multiple post-it reminders telling myself to stop buying knives after dropping $140 on a Benchmade 943 a few weeks ago.

Anyway, I like to diversify my collection when I buy new blades (different knives available for different tasks), so I'd look at getting a larger blade (since your Delica 4 and Leek have the ~3" category covered) like the Endura 4 (get it in FFG if you can). It might be pushin' it size-wise for EDC, but it's better to have the blade and not need it, than the other way around.

Also, I'd get a smaller blade like the Spyderco Dragonfly2 (not on your list, but I think its designed purpose is similar to the Kershaw Scallion, but you get way better blade steel for only a few $$ more) for "dressier" occasions or even as a secondary/backup EDC blade.

P.S.: If you have money left over, put it towards a 4Sevens Quark Mini 123 flashlight. Very compact (you'll forget you're carrying it until you need it) and absurdly bright.

Last edited:
I totally hear you on the knife addiction... I've had to write multiple post-it reminders telling myself to stop buying knives after dropping $140 on a Benchmade 943 a few weeks ago.

Anyway, I like to diversify my collection when I buy new blades (different knives available for different tasks), so I'd look at getting a larger blade (since your Delica 4 and Leek have the ~3" category covered) like the Endura 4 (get it in FFG if you can). It might be pushin' it size-wise for EDC, but it's better to have the blade and not need it, than the other way around.

Also, I'd get a smaller blade like the Spyderco Dragonfly2 (not on your list, but I think its designed purpose is similar to the Kershaw Scallion, but you get way better blade steel for only a few $$ more) for "dressier" occasions or even as a secondary/backup EDC blade.

P.S.: If you have money left over, put it towards a 4Sevens Quark Mini 123 flashlight. Very compact (you'll forget you're carrying it until you need it) and absurdly bright.

I think that the Endura is a little large for my edc, and I'm not even sure if it's legal to carry it in my city. I do have a Cold Steel Recon 1 though which I keep in my collection. I will look into the Spyderco Dragonfly if my budget allows it... The dragonfly does seem quite a bit better than the Scallion.

Blemished = factory seconds, which can be ordered through a seller in the dealer section of this forum, might be worth checking if he'd ship to Canada. Blurs are a great EDC, not too big at all. Overall I'd place them as a medium+ sized folder, not large, fits your whole hand on the handle comfortably, but doesn't leave much handle at all past your pinky (at least for me). Very high quality knife for the money, and a tremendously solid EDC/working knife.

If you want a smaller knife, I can't recommend the Scallion enough, EDC'd one for years, then picked up another after I broke and lost that one, and eventually wore out the liner of the replacement and never bothered sending it into Kershaw (since gave it away) Great knife design with a lot of cutting ability for the size, and will handle 95% of knife tasks for most people.

I have bought from KershawGuy on this forum. He has some excellent prices on blems. I got two blems and couldn't even see where the blems were.

I have bought from KershawGuy on this forum. He has some excellent prices on blems. I got two blems and couldn't even see where the blems were.

Unless KershawGuy lives in Canada, I'm out of luck... The knife would have to pass through customs and it would probably get stopped for a bit and I will get charged duty on it.

Unless KershawGuy lives in Canada, I'm out of luck... The knife would have to pass through customs and it would probably get stopped for a bit and I will get charged duty on it.

He sends them from a street address, and so it should be relatively easy to get through customs. he also packaged the whole thing up in this box that was covered in what seemed like a half a roll of packing tape. it would probably be too big of a bother to get open.... even so, you could ask him to put some random stuff in there, just to make it look innocuous.

my $0.02:

get a 4-7's Quark AA^2 flashlight (~$60) and a Fallkniven U2 folder (~$80'ish).

He sends them from a street address, and so it should be relatively easy to get through customs. he also packaged the whole thing up in this box that was covered in what seemed like a half a roll of packing tape. it would probably be too big of a bother to get open.... even so, you could ask him to put some random stuff in there, just to make it look innocuous.

I will consider it. I would really just rather ordering all my knives from one place since I am actually ordering about 6 knives total and splitting the shipping with a friend. It just makes things less complicated.

I have actually gone back to consider the Spyderco Sage 1 - 113$ and a Buck Vantage Pro small 50$. This way, I would probably have to drop the third knife and flashlight, but SO many people have recommended the Sage to me, I can't really ignore them.

my $0.02:

get a 4-7's Quark AA^2 flashlight (~$60) and a Fallkniven U2 folder (~$80'ish).
No offense, but because of its looks, I wouldn't even consider the U2. Also, I'm unable to get any Quark Models from the Canadian distributor that I'm dealing with. I don't think I'l have enough money for a flashlight anyways, since I'm probably going with a Sage 1 + Buck Vantage Pro Small

Then, you can spend the extra $50 on a decent flashlight. For flashlights, I like 4Sevens.

Great idea. 4Sevens makes some really nice stuff at very reasonable prices. I just picked up a Spyderco UKPK on sale for 87 bucks on the Spyderco site. Orange G-10, wire clip, and S30V blade. Wasn't sure how I'd like a knife like that without a lock, but on that particular model, you don't even notice it. Its a great knife that I have no problem pulling out around non-knife people (a task I usually left for my SAKs). That and a Quark mini from 4Sevens and you'll even have a few bucks left for some Timmies.

instead of getting multiple cheap knives, try one really good knife for $150-200 with super steel thats not too bad to sharpen but keeps an edge for 3 times as long as the steel on most of the ones you've picked. spyderco have a lot of sprint runs with these types of steel.

This thread was ended more then 6 years ago...
I hope by now he found what he was looking for.

Reactions: Mo2
Back