1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

153UH Golden Spike Research

Discussion in 'Schrade Knives Collectors Forum' started by Codger_64, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Codger_64

Codger_64 Moderator Moderator

Oct 8, 2004
    No sin in owning a user. And cleaning up one that has been neglected is a good thing. 1095hc is good steel with good heat treat and cryo quench. Keep it clean and sharp, don't abuse it and it can last several lifetimes.

B Griffin likes this.
  2. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    It was an Old Timer Woodsman I bought in the early 80s and Schrade Golden Spike that I bought in the mid 80s, and the time I spent wadering the wilds alone with them, that are at the core of how I ended up having a centerfold sort of display of my own knife designs in the Schrade catalog. But just like the SCHF1 I bought and took out and tested almost 12 years ago , which also critical played a critical role in my Schrade designs happening, all of my designs are among the few Schrades that are manufactured in Taiwan in the same shops that p[roduce high quality knives for several US based knife companies. And from the results I've seen so far over the last ten years, of a much better quality than any of the Chinese Schrade stuff I've tested. It was a conversation with Morgan Taylor about several things, including the huge difference in quality and workmanship between the Taiwan and Chinese pieces, that led to my first Schrade design. The SCHF9 was the first Schrade knife made of 1095 steel and not made in China in several years at that point. Funnily enough, Morgan at first argued against my use of 1095 and the country of origin, saying we would make more money from it being made in the lower costing manufacturing plant in China from a different steel. Only to watch as the knife went viral on You Tube with people beating the snot out of it and it actually living up to the Extreme Survival moniker that Morgan had started that I actually design the SCHF9 Wilderness to live up to. Only to later try to copy that success story after the SCHF9 had done so well globally by having other models he had come up with made in China, and allegedly of 1095, but with first the failure rates of those models the steel quality is rather questionable, so who knows what it is. I still have an old Golden Spike I still carry more than a lot of people would likely imagine.
    [​IMG]

3. bladecollectorr

bladecollectorr

Oct 7, 2017
    Schrade hasn't made a catalog since 2004. Taylor Brands and BTI have made catalogs that have the word "Schrade" in them.

I just made a post with the word "Schrade" in it but this post isn't made by Schrade either. Canal Street Cutlery is/was a worthy successor to the original Schrade only because they had so many former Schrade workers.

I usually avoid anything that has "gone viral". I was going to check out these "viral" rave knife reviews but I got side-tracked by even more important "viral" info so I watched ten hours of "must see" cats acting like cats. I think the cats in Taiwan are of much better quaity than Chinese cats.

I'm glad you have great memories using the fine Schrade USA products you bought in the '80s. That's kinda what we are about around here.

I'm glad you have personally found success as a knife designer but I will never buy one. These knives will always be imposters to me. It's just no fun collecting knives made by a nameless sub-contractor somewhere in China or Taiwan even if they are heavily marketed by their designers.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 10:44 AM
    koldgold likes this.
  4. koldgold

koldgold

Jul 2, 2010
    Even when Imperial Schrade started to use China to make some of their knives, in 2004 - Their commitment to quality was still clearly shown, down to the "Schrade China" tang stamp.... Ken.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 7:43 PM