• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

16 Fixed blades by Sylvrfalcn (Sarge)

Svashtar said:
Sarge, you're a real artist and all around great guy. It's easy to donate money, but the time you spent on this is amazing. You have some _serious_ good karma coming your way! :thumbup: You too Steve!

Norm
Plus, they know how to throw one hell of a party! Thanks, Steve & Sarge...

Somebody better take that #13 quick or I swear I'll make even more of a pig of myself...:eek::D

Svashtar said:
Sarge, you're a real artist and all around great guy. It's easy to donate money, but the time you spent on this is amazing. You have some _serious_ good karma coming your way! :thumbup: You too Steve!

Sarge, what can you tell me about the wood on #16? The handle and sheath are kind of plain compared to a few of the others, but it looks like a very stout blade, and a useful one. About 6" long?
Thanks for any info.

Regards,

Norm

Bolivian rosewood Norm. Yup, it's kind of plain looking, but stout and sharp, and handle feels good in the hand. Just a basic camp/kitchen knife, with more attention paid to grind, temper, etc., than appearance. Figure a knife meant to be worked hard don't need to start out too purty.

Sarge

If you don't mind, Sarge, what's the story behind the seax? I am a celt myself.

And what kind of pretty wood on number 17?

Just wondering. :p Thanks.

Wholly cow, these blades sold *fast*.

Mike

Tx for the quick answers!

As of 11:37 PM Eastern time, # 5,7, 10 still available. Thanks to all! Will ship everything out on Tuesday.

Thanks, I'm gonna hit the sack!

Steve

Sylvrfalcn said:
Bolivian rosewood Norm. Yup, it's kind of plain looking, but stout and sharp, and handle feels good in the hand. Just a basic camp/kitchen knife, with more attention paid to grind, temper, etc., than appearance. Figure a knife meant to be worked hard don't need to start out too purty.

Sarge

Thanks Sarge! I got #1 for just a beautiful example of that style, and #16 for a strong useful camp knife. Win/Win today. :)

Ad Astra said:
If you don't mind, Sarge, what's the story behind the seax? I am a celt myself.

And what kind of pretty wood on number 17?

Just wondering. :p Thanks.

Wholly cow, these blades sold *fast*.

Mike

That there particular seax is Anglo Saxon, the scramaseax being primarily favored by the Germanic tribes like the Saxons, Franks, Danes, and Norse. A common and popular northern european knife style, they were in wide use for several centuries.

The pretty wood on #17 is curly maple. I like maple, it's got a warm, friendly, feel that belies it's strength and durability. Then again, I like rosewood, and ebony, and boxwood, and ash, and just made a couple with Brazilian cherry that I like pretty good too. ;)

Sarge

So I ended up with #3 and #13. What kind of wood are those. They both look quite nice and I'm excited to finally have some of your handywork, Sarge. Thanks so much for doing this.

And thanks to Steve for all the work. I know how much work it is to keep up with all the sharks and then keep all the packages straight and the money thing and etc.etc. But it is worth it for sure.

Thanks to you both!!!!:thumbup: :)

As I recall the ancient Saxons got their name from their use of the Sax knife (i.e. Seax.) Any scholars here to chime in?

Sylvrfalcn said:
That there particular seax is Anglo Saxon, the scramaseax being primarily favored by the Germanic tribes like the Saxons, Franks, Danes, and Norse. A common and popular northern european knife style, they were in wide use for several centuries.

The pretty wood on #17 is curly maple. I like maple, it's got a warm, friendly, feel that belies it's strength and durability. Then again, I like rosewood, and ebony, and boxwood, and ash, and just made a couple with Brazilian cherry that I like pretty good too. ;)

Sarge

Everyone of these is a winner Sarge. I'm normally not this enthusiastic, but there is so much creativity and variety here I'm psyched! I was just admiring #8 as well, with that clip point and spike.

Thanks again.

Norm

mamav said:
So I ended up with #3 and #13. What kind of wood are those. They both look quite nice and I'm excited to finally have some of your handywork, Sarge. Thanks so much for doing this.

And thanks to Steve for all the work. I know how much work it is to keep up with all the sharks and then keep all the packages straight and the money thing and etc.etc. But it is worth it for sure.

Thanks to you both!!!!:thumbup: :)

Gin, #3 has a handle of apple wood from a 40 year old apple tree up in Wisconsin (donated by that sneaky deer murderer with the not right dog). It's a very simple and straightforward old style puukko, and will make a good EDC/kitchen knife. #13 has a handle of mountain ash (think Louisville slugger) and is a fairly accurate copy of an 18th century French Capouchadou (peasant's dagger from the Aveyron region). It's pointy and stabby, but cuts surprisingly well. In fact, that knife works so well that you'll note a bit of wear and patination to it and it's scabbard, it's one I was quite fond of toting. Nothing at all wrong with the knife, but if the "broke in" look of the scabbard bothers you, let me know and I'll stitch you up a new one.

Sarge

Steve, if I wasn't told different, I'd of guessed rosewood as the handle on #5 too, but it's actually Bocote. Reckon if I'd used my noggin at all I'd of labeled 'em for you the way kamis sometimes do on the khuks.

Sarge

Broke in is just fine with me. The problem I'll have is keeping them in the kitchen and not the kids room:rolleyes: Her favorites are daggers and puukos. She has some really nice ones. Now if she'd just learn to like to cook............:rolleyes: :D

Got #6, was talking myself into trying for #9 after I sent for #6, but it was gone by the next screen refresh. Now if I can just figure out what it was about #6 that jumped out at me...

Sarge no need to tell you why I wanted number twelve . Its one I hope to hand down to my daughter . That and maybe a thousand arrows with a couple of bows . Could you tell me what kind of wood it is and anything you care to about the blade ? Now I have to scare up some thick wool socks to house it .

Snagged #15. I (eventually) chose it over #3. Figured mine will make a good karda replacement. What can you tell me about #15, Sarge?

Bob

Kevin the grey said:
Sarge no need to tell you why I wanted number twelve . Its one I hope to hand down to my daughter . That and maybe a thousand arrows with a couple of bows . Could you tell me what kind of wood it is and anything you care to about the blade ? Now I have to scare up some thick wool socks to house it .

Kevin, that there's a good little sgian dubh, big enough to do some cutting, but not so heavy it'll flop around in your sock. Handle is African blackwood, with a brass hilt plate. That one's got a real purty jimp on the blade's spine, I call it hi-lo jimping. The sheath is a Sheffield style, wet molded, single seam. I like those, because the back side of the scabbard lies flat against your leg, while the seam running down the front acts as a vertical rib to help keep your knife straight up in your sock.

Sarge

Big Bob said:
Snagged #15. I (eventually) chose it over #3. Figured mine will make a good karda replacement. What can you tell me about #15, Sarge?

Bob

That's a good one Bob, ash handle with a ferrule of mild steel, blade like a sgian dubh with a jimped spine. Great cutter and slicer for it's size. Scabbard is wet molded single front seam, embellished with a Turk's head knot done in rawhide lace.

Sarge

hi sarge a big thank you to you guys on this i was very pleased to be a participanti was wondering if you had any info on the #8 i got ? thanks again and ill be watching ted

They were all gone by 4:28 A.M. !!!!

Heck, most were gone in a few hours, Steve just got tired last night and waited until this morning to post the last sales.

Great knives, great buyers, great sale for Ram's education...and great knife maker...and, if I may say so...some truly lovely sheaths by Sarge, which took a helluva lot of work by themselves.

Nice crowd, knowledgeable about value and values.

Be well and safe.

Back