165OT Woodsman/UH Prospector ramble

Codger_64

The Schrade Old Timer 165OT Woodsman is my favorite classic Schrade pattern. The OT version was first introduced in 1967 and produced continuously for twenty four years, nearly a quarter of a century. It was produced for six years with the Schrade Walden stamp (1967-73), then for eighteen in with the Schrade tangstamp (1974-91). (Schrade moved to Ellenville, New York circa 1958, but the company name and stamp did not change until mid 1973).

The Woodsman has brown sawcut delrin handles held to the full tang by three nickle silver flat head rivets, and a 1 1/8" nickle silver Old Timer shield. A two piece pinned brass contoured guard seperates the handle from the 4 5/8" sabre ground 1095 carbon steel blade. It weighs in at 8.8 ounces, a full half pound without the sheath. A really stiff blade, the bladestock is nearly 3/16" thick, and remains nearly full thickness from the butt of the exposed full tang to within 1/2" of the tip, where the sabre grind rises to the point.
There are some small distinctions between the Walden knives and the later ones from Ellenville. These are relatively minor engineering changes, but help to distinguish the chronology of production.
Earliest production was not marked with a "PAT. PEND." tangstamp or blade etch as was the earlier introduced 15OT Deerslayer, at least not that I have seen. Perhaps this led to some complications with production and stocking the 15OT's. The 165's were, however, serialized. So far, the earliest serial number I have seen is #9,xxx. The first tangstamps were parallel to the blade on blade left with SCHRADE over WALDEN over 165. The serial number was imprinted on the left tang parallel to the guard.
Sometime after serial #18,xxx, the tangstamp was moved to blade right and then the serial numbers were discontinued. Later Ellenville blades all have the tangstamp on blade right and as far as I have seen, were not serialized. Interestingly, I have never seen the "OT designation added to the "165" on a tangstamp, but the Uncle Henry'd do have the "UH" designation added.
The Walden knives have a slightly convex curved front edge on the lower guard matching the concave curve on the back edge for finger relief. Ellenville knives do not. The front edge is left flat, saving a casting detail, or machining step.
Only four sheath designs have been found so far, not really enough of a sampling to establish an accurate chronology. One used in 1969-70 was a tubular sheath with long belt hanger, sewn with four rivets added. Another is a basketweave tooled sheath, flat sewn. This one could be aftermarket. And an early one, perhaps the earliest, flatsewn with a short belthanger, and a rivet at each side of the throat. The most common, naturally is the later flatsewn with a third ply added to the center protecting the stitching from the blade. Then the stone pocket sheaths, original issue with the 160OT Mountain Lion (1990-95) and the 153UH (1974-04) appear with the later 165OT's, though these may be replacement sheaths.
Early success of the 165OT inspired Schrade to issue an Uncle Henry version of the knife. The UH version, named the Prospector, made a short two year production run at Walden (1969-70) and was revived in 1994 for a four year run in Ellenville, retiring again after 1997. Later, the pattern was produced for limited editions and private issues from time to time.
The differences between the first and second issue knives are minor. One unique feature does stand out on the Walden issue, besides the obvious tangstamps and serial numbers. The top of the tang has eight thumb rest grooves.
Other than the thumb rest grooves on the first issue, the 165UH bore all of the trademark features of it's Old Timer brother with the following exceptions. Staglon replaced the sawcut delrin, the shield was brass with the Uncle Henry signature the handle rivets were brass, and the UH designation was added to the 165 tangstamp.
My own interest in these knives, though discontinued ten years now and made by a company no longer existing, began more than thirty years ago when I purchased one for my hunting and camping adventures. The serpentine handle and heft have become so familiar that it is difficult to use and carry another pattern. The blade sweep is etched in my memory so that I can use it in near total darkness without loosing blood. I'll continue my quest to dig out obscure facts and details on the 165's. Not that anyone cares, but I find it personally interesting.

Any corrections and additions to this missive are expected and most welcomed!

Codger

What do you mean, nobody cares? Ramble on anytime, Mike. When I was having fun with all my SS627 knives, you mentioned you simply collected one model. Now that would be interesting, getting one of every special issue of these things made.

The thumb grooves for me, on that knife. I like 'em.

Phil

Larry has a very good picture of his showing the thumb rest grooves. Perhaps he could be persuaded to share it here? It is amazing how much the Staglon handles dress up a working class pattern like the 165OT. The coloration variety is interesting too. He has pictures of one quite dark, as well as his lighter one. From an engineer's curiosity, I wonder if the dark plastic was sprayed inside the mold before the lighter plastic was injected, then hand rubbed to reveal the stag pattern. Some might have just been coated heavier, or rubbed differently by different workers.

I have seen a few gems that have had to pass on in the last few months, though I am sure eventually they will come around again. One was a Sears Craftsman 165 pattern with brown Delrin handle, CRAFTSMAN USA tangstamp, blank shield, and black leather Craftsman sheath. A very interesting private issue. Another was a DU issue, which I usually avoid. DU collections can be a monetary abyss! This one had the gold filled etch and called my name. Luckily, at the time, I resisted.

I am looking forward to getting the forum knife, though I already have a couple of the "sweetenings" (from an unnamed source), so I'll tell you which ones. The spares then can go to a later subscriber. You did a commendable job on it. Continue with the name change project, and we will begin discussions on the 2006 Forum knife. Hopefully I can be of more help on it than on this one!

Codger

I have "and am very proud of" a orange handled 165 Deerhunter . It is my favorite fixed blade tho I don't use it much . My 2 cents .

Brown Delrin, black Delrin, Staglon Delrin, and orange Delrin. Anyone ever seen a 165 with green delrin? The last Copenhagen issue I saw was black delrin with a tangmark SCHRADE over COPE. I would not be too surprised to find one in cream delrin with a scrimshaw. I have seen one with factory wood handles. Cocobolo? something besides the light oak of the '02-'03 Ducks Unlimited issues. Anyone seen another variation?

Codger

I just got one of the orange handled 152OT which arrived today because I just had to have one. (also done to relieve the constant urging, pleading and nagging of one of our other "Lost Souls")
IMHO they are the fugliest handle color Schrade ever decided to use. Maybe the blue used on the TPR knives is a close second but the 152 does come with one of the best fixed blades Schrade made. High carbon steel and all.
I can see the orange handle usefulness in the darkness of the underbrush. Im gonna test it for glow in the dark tonight. :D I'll also do a geiger counter test for radioactivity to see if its use over long term will have any effects.
This 152OTO will surely add a lot of color to my collection of 152's. :p

I will post a pict of the old 165UH that Codger mentioned without the orange handle. It is a beauty that needed a lot of tlc when it arrived.

TTYL
Larry

Larry, I have found a 158OTO for you. I think it comes with batteries. :D Please post both pictures if yo can (both of the 165UH's that is). Does Delrin come in lime green?

Codger

165 & 165UH Both Schrade Waldens.

165-BS.jpg

I can see the reasoning behind the orange handles. Many moons ago I mislaid my knife after field dressing a deer. I did not miss it until I was back at camp. Winded, thirsty, tired, and in a hurry to get the deer checked, skinned, cut up and in the freezer. I finished the job with my sharpfinger, but the deep cuts took a while and removing the tenderloins was not as easily done as with the trusty Woodsman 165OT. I returned the next morning intent on just walking up to the right stump in a clearcut and retrieving my knife. A clearcut by definition has few or no standing trees, just stumps. It took a while, and a bit of circleing and backtracking, but I finally found my knife. Had it been orange, it would have stood out like a surveyors flag, not looked like the wood left in the clearcut. I then developed the habit of wiping the knife and returning it to it's sheath immediately, never laying it down or, in this case, sticking it up in a stump. Then again, had it been orange, I might have just left it. This was, after all, in the days when Schrade was an ongoing concern and a new 165 was as close as the local hardware shop or gun store ( no Walmarts then), and cost a whopping $22.00.

Thanks for posting the Woodsman and Prospector pictures Larry.

Codger

Yep, I've left good hunting knives in the woods as well. With all the coyotes in Michigan, a gut pile quickly vanishes, making it all that more hard to find the knife. But yeah, Ugly As Hell.

Thanks for the pics, Larry

As a matter of fact, the Orange Delrin 165OTO I saw does have a shield bearing the name "DEERHUNTER". I do not know what the tangstamp is or the years produced. Anyone know?

Codger

My 165 Deerhunter is stamped SCHRADE U.S.A. 165 . I bought this knife a couple of years ago and then contacted SCHRADE asking for info as to how old it was . I got a reply saying that the orange handled 165's were made in 1991 and that 2500 were made .
I like the look of the orange handle myself .

Thanks Grateful. I ran across your thread about this knife in another forum, one of your first posts. I take it from the tangstamp that your knife is carbon bladed, not stainless? Did Schrade refer to it as a 165OTO, or is that just an assumed model name from consumers? And if it came with the factory sheath, what style was it? Nosey, ain't I?!!!

Codger

Mine is carbon steel and SCHRADE refered to it as a 165 deerhunter . My sheath is I believe the last style "?" made . No attached sharpening stone and the sheath is a three layer construction with the middle layer protecting the stiching .

Grateful,to me, the 165 pattern is the epitimy of functional design of a knife as a tool, in spite of the quips about the bright color we have made. In fact, the Deerhunter is in a way proof of the point. The orange handle color was well thought of by the War Department when they accepted the paratrooper's knife, and in fact, that design and color was used at least through the mid seventies in pilot's kits both by the Navy and Air Force. Perhaps the color should be refered to as "Utility Orange".

Sure, there are "prettier" designs, both of handle material and shape, and blade material, decoration and pattern, but the beauty of the 165 OT is in it's usefulness.

Thanks for the interesting information! I'll add it to my notes. Anyone else have something I should know?

Codger

I contacted our Old Timer Uncle Henry expert, Robert Clemente about this knife had he confirmed that this is, in fact, a 165OTO. A bunch of these were made for SMKW and offered in matched sets with an orange 152OTO--it was a "father and son" set with deer head etchings on the sheaths. . . SMKW claims an exclusive to the orange handles but he suspects the factory made extras, and now some of those are surfacing. He has one of these sets and I have asked him to send me a photo of them.

That they would have been made as a set seems like a natural to me. I have owned and used a Sharpfinger almost as long as the Woodsman. It is a great companion to that knife when doing skinning and butchering chores. They also made a 158OTO and I could swear that I remember seeing a 154OTO. They both could have just been Schrade's way of using up excess material. I am pretty sure that the scales were injection molded elsewhere, and represented a sizable investment in material. Just think of all the non-scrimmed scrims that have shown up since last fall.

Codger

Edit: Robert just sent me a picture of his OTO knives and they include a 15OTO, 165OTO, 152OTO, and 158OTO.

Ok, just located a sharpfinger 152OTO on ebay. This ain't bad at all.

Edited to add: In fact, I just went back and bought it. Only a couple of posts ago, I was ragging on how ugly it was. Funny how discussing something with others can change your mind about something.

Now did someone say there is a matching 165OT?

Phil

Attachments

• schrade orange.jpg
    schrade orange.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 76
I have corrupted yet another Schradeophile with the inclusion of a University of Tennessee knife! You do know their mascot is an old hound dog named Smokey, right? :D

Yes, one orange 165OTO is on ebay right now, but it is paired up with two ther knives which one must be willing to buy to get it. Might not be a bad deal depending on the resale value of the Buck.."General"? I think it is. The other is a used Ellenville 15OT which should go for around $40-60 right now depending on actual condition and seller hype. All three have good used sheaths.

The shields of the OTO group owned by Robert are as follows:
15OTO = LIMITED EDITION
152OTO = LIMITED EDITION
165OTO = DEERHUNTER
158OTO = OLD TIMER

It would not surprise me to see any of these finished out as last stock and bearing the Old Timer shield, or blank shields for that matter. Quite a few "mix-n-match" knives have emerged from the "Schrade bins" recently.

Codger

Here are Roberts photos as mentioned above:

Attachments

• 1 165oto.jpg
    1 165oto.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 1  2 in the stheaths.jpg
    1 2 in the stheaths.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 1  2 more.jpg
    1 2 more.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 51