18" Keffeler Sword (K18), AKA The KOD Piece

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
After the TV show Knife Or Death we were talking about what would be an ideal piece to take on that show. A small sword with some length (but not too much length) with a stout primary edge that could go through some of the harder targets and a thin sharp spine that could reliably sail through softer targets. A neutral balance to be used with one hand but designed to accommodate two handed grips for power cuts. Evil Genius and world acclaimed sword maker and competitive cutting champion Dr. Dan Keffeler came up with this:

wtlTnGd.jpg

It's actually pretty big. Other knives folks are familiar with for scale:

Wu1ZaDe.jpg

18" Blade, 29" total length, Delta 3V, ~.200", ~ 2lbs, 14 oz. CG 1" in front of the guard, green Terotuf, no sheath, as machined (on our new Mori) ground as necessary and tumbled. Front edge probably 22 DPS, rear probably 18 DPS and very thin.

Dan is still doing development but we have a pretty good idea of the final geometry. The design will change a little as we finish our homework. The prototype you've seen at Blade Show is not the final version.

Price will be $1,175

All of the steel machining for the chopper pre-orders is complete. The UF are on all three of our primary machines now. I'm looking for what's going on next and if we're ever going to do this piece now is the time to get it into queue.

I'm going to open the pre-order for it on Friday. I'm hoping there are orders for 80, but we need for there to be 50 in order to start the run. I calculate that as our break-even point. If you ever wanted a CPK/Keffeler sword, this will be it. The pre-order opens Friday at 5 eastern time.

I always wanted a sword but a full on custom one, or one of Dan’s limited edition samples will probably be too rich for my blood so I will get in line with at least 50 other monkeys from these parts of the bizarre-o world!

Don’t like it to be named KoD sword though. CKS is great :)

Wow! Any distal taper or just same spine width?

No taper. I would taper it if the design called for it, but a blade this length that doesn't narrow won't need to taper unless you need a lot of tip speed (at the expense of reduced power from lower moment of inertia). There's an argument for proximal taper on something like this.

Back