18" Keffeler Sword (K18), AKA The KOD Piece

This project has seen some technical challenges scaling up our knife build process to a sword scale. Keeping it flat while decking it, keeping it straight in heat treat, tumble finishing a part that is almost 30" long, sharpening a piece on our parallelogram that exceeds the swing capacity of our setup. Nothing insurmountable, just challenges. We knew there would be challenges.

We finally sorted out the heat treat process with new fixturing strategies. We also rebuilt an old tumbler whose tank works with this giant blade and got it back into production for this project. So the current status is: all of the blades are fully machined, half of them are heat treated. Some are tumbled. The fixturing for the scales is complete and the laminating process for the TT is underway.

One aspect of the sword that I didn't anticipate coming into it is the weighted pommels. The material for them is here but I still need to processes it which will require fixtures and setups that I plan to complete this week. With that, the first few swords will be ready to ship, perhaps as early as next week. "Zmbhntr" might see his sword at the end of the month.

This project has seen some technical challenges scaling up our knife build process to a sword scale. Keeping it flat while decking it, keeping it straight in heat treat, tumble finishing a part that is almost 30" long, sharpening a piece on our parallelogram that exceeds the swing capacity of our setup. Nothing insurmountable, just challenges. We knew there would be challenges.

We finally sorted out the heat treat process with new fixturing strategies. We also rebuilt an old tumbler whose tank works with this giant blade and got it back into production for this project. So the current status is: all of the blades are fully machined, half of them are heat treated. Some are tumbled. The fixturing for the scales is complete and the laminating process for the TT is underway.

One aspect of the sword that I didn't anticipate coming into it is the weighted pommels. The material for them is here but I still need to processes it which will require fixtures and setups that I plan to complete this week. With that, the first few swords will be ready to ship, perhaps as early as next week. "Zmbhntr" might see his sword at the end of the month.

That sounds like a lot of work. After figuring out how to deal with the challenges of a longer blade, are you more or less inclined to make another?

That sounds like a lot of work. After figuring out how to deal with the challenges of a longer blade, are you more or less inclined to make another?

Being 9-10 months behind schedule on this project is stressful to everyone in the shop. I kind of wish I hadn't undertook the project due to the learning curve and related tuition. But, having it under our belt now, I might do another sword some day.

Being 9-10 months behind schedule on this project is stressful to everyone in the shop. I kind of wish I hadn't undertook the project due to the learning curve and related tuition. But, having it under our belt now, I might do another sword some day.
CPKatana:cool:

Edit- Dibs:D

When we saw the pic of the finished product, and noticed the pommel, it just showed that you care about what goes out your doors. The fact that you added a costly measure after the fact, to an already expensive project, I hope you're not taking it in the shorts on this.

That said, I am 3rd in line with WValtakis and woodysone for your upcoming CPKatana sword..... it's a thing now, right?

I am actually in the market for a one-handed bush sword. Something light and quick like a Swamp Rat Rucki, but with a guard and a proper cutting edge. 16” blade would be fine - should be easy after the K18.

Is this trench sword talk real, or just loose lips flappin’ in the breeze?

Last edited:

I can certainly understand how this would be stressful to everyone in your shop, but please understand that the pressure you feel is honestly not justified or needed. Yes this project is over time; however, the challenges along the way have been many and significant. You have been very upfront and open about everything during the process, and I feel that is more than enough for the group here. We are all highly appreciative. Two years from now when we all have had and used our K18's for a long while, the delay in receiving them will have been long forgotten. What will remain is the joy in owning a quality item that has been designed and built with great care. Please don't let this experience burn you out to future highly complicated and challenging undertakings.

AHOY THE GLUTTON FOR PUNISHMENT BE BACK FOR MORE MATEYS!

We've talked about doing a sword like that. We were thinking maybe calling it a notakatana.

Ninja swords!!!

DEWIT.

What would a gladius do that the K18 won’t?

A gladius would be a thousand percent better at the task of "being a gladius," though.

Back