18" Keffeler Sword (K18), AKA The KOD Piece

Forgive me thinking aloud this AM (or your PM if way ahead east of me!) regarding sheaths:

For lord's luv, no kydex please! I am sorry, but I just even can't fathom such sacrilege!

To our leather sheath making craftsmen and artisans: please consider some sort of Baldric carry provision and attachment options.

I'm cocked, locked and loaded... The Q is as to whether I should go for 1 or for 2 since there is no option other than having an unsharpened top edge, which to me, defeats the objective of the design. My bicameral mind has kicked in overdrive as so:

Do I tie up another extra $1200 for the next 6-8 months or so to save myself from fooling around with buying extra toys and goodies for this period of time or not? In one way, this would not be a bad thing to stop the proverbial never ending chase of an addict and on the other hand it can act as an antidote for an addict who wants to go cold turkey on chasing, welp for a little bit anyway! Hmm?!
You should buy 2, CPK is not going to offer (produce) anything remotely close to this awesomeness in the foreseeable future;)

Forgive me thinking aloud this AM (or your PM if way ahead east of me!) regarding sheaths:

For lord's luv, no kydex please! I am sorry, but I just even can't fathom such sacrilege!

To our leather sheath making craftsmen and artisans: please consider some sort of Baldric carry provision and attachment options.
Mat have a lead on some really nice kydex sheaths and was wondering if I can count on you to spread the word on this?:rolleyes:

How long will the preorder be opened?

I'm just speculation, but I think at least this weekend, pretty much like most of other Nathan's preorders with the exception of the Comp Chopper which was a limited run of 40 units.

Nathan had previously said that he will need to see at least 50 units in the preorder to get the project off the ground as that number is pretty much a break-even point; ideally he wanted to see 80 units in the preorder. The only way that Nathan may shit it down earlier than the whole weekend, will be if the numbers of preorders escalate and shoot upward of 100 really fast. That could also happen!

It’s not an historically accurate piece and it’s not a fancy piece for looking pretty. It’s an already heavy blade that I’d use outdoors, so light and non-absorbent kydex works just fine for me.

To each, his own. You may wish to ask Jo if she will be supplying any kydex sheath maker with a blank. Otherwise, you will have to send one in or pool with those who are interested in kydex.

BTW speaking for myself, it's a historical piece because in my history of existence, I have never owned a proper sword or quasi-sword ;)

ETA: I just remembered that Al from AZWelke may also be in this one as he had shown interest and if so, I'm sure that he will be running his machines to make sheaths for this pattern.

Last edited:
I bet a good Kydex sheath system could be made for this with a separate removable cover for the back edge and/or front edge. Personally I'd prefer to just use that "back edge" as the primary edge but I am still undecided on whether to get this thing because frankly it scares me. I had to recite the Bene Gesserit litany against fear just to hold the copy Dan was showing around.

I bet a good Kydex sheath system could be made for this with a separate removable cover for the back edge and/or front edge...

Something kinda/sorta/somewhat like this o_O by @David Brown :thumbsup::):cool:?
qPAoZyu.jpg

kxzDqPV.jpg

9U8xKBH.jpg

SFeMxYA.jpg

jHhG2Vt.jpg

my two cents...
this piece is DESIGNED to be double edged, and I personally find it a teensy weensy insulting to the designer to request it any other way. Of course, I'm overly sensitive to these things, but I'm also an opinionated asshole so take all that how you will
:)

But what if someone is even MORE of an opinionated asshole, to the point of deciding that it needs only one sharp edge DESPITE what the designer thinks? :D

Back