Recommendation? 18" or 15" Sirupati?

I think you already know now that the 15" is the one to begin with as regards to HI kurks. Plenty big for most tasks and not so big that you can't use it to pick flowers for your love. YOU WILL next buy an 18" +/- version and soon after that, a sword too :rolleyes: so just stay posted for the deals of the day and soon you will have a nice collection and your only problem will be what to carry. :thumbsup: :cool:

Enjoy!

Ray

Get yourself the 18! You can always go bigger or smaller.
Full disclosure: I have 2 18's and a 20 (m43, tin chirra, gelbu special) - I just got my first 15" - it's a perfect size, super-duper nice. It's a BAS.

What's Ram Kumar's Mark?

Full disclosure: I have 2 18's and a 20 (m43, tin chirra, gelbu special) - I just got my first 15" - it's a perfect size, super-duper nice. It's a BAS.

What's Ram Kumar's Mark?
Ram Kumar RamKumar.jpg
Our new talented new Kami Ram Kumar Lahar as known as Ram Lal been making knife since 12 years age.
He went to School for few years and after eight grade he quiet School and continue to make Khukuri with his family.
He is 28 years old today makes outstanding knife!

Last edited:
Full disclaimer: I'm not a knife fighter and don't pretend to be. Also, I don't actually own a sirupati, I'm just bench racing here.

I didn't mean to say that you implied it was fragile, just that you keep saying you'd use a sirupati for light work. I offered the example of the BK9 because that is a knife that most people would say is fit for 'hard' use. As such, if the BK9 is fit for hard use, I suggest that the Sirupati is also. Ultimately I'm suggesting that you don't need to limit the sirupati 'light' duty (in case that was your plan), even if it isn't warranted for 'field' use. Just my opinion of course.

So far as the 15 - 18 inch version, between the two I'd go with the 15 inch. The 18 doesn't have much of a reach advantage IMO. Consider defending yourself from someone with a baseball bat, if you had either the 18 or the 15 you're still well inside their danger zone for the blade to be effective. Once you're well inside their space such that a club is a less effective weapon, the 15 inch sirupati has plenty of blade to do whatever needs to be done. Also, the 15 is easier to carry, easier to hide, and weighs less. Likewise the 18 is on the short side for machete work, and too heavy for that sort of work anyway, so again why not just get the 15 at that point, right?
You couldn't have said it better, thanks for the choice support guys I will definitely be getting the 15".

I prefer my 15 inch you can wear it conceal it carry it and use it, without being in the way so for picking just one my vote is 15". Then the tough choice wood or horn handle???
So just to be clear the horn is the black handle with the brass..and the wood is obviously the wooden brown handle...I only ask this because I want the sirupati with the black handle..I don't want to order the wrong thing...

Clear. Black is horn. All you gotta ask for is Horn. Siru's are generally brass as well. Don't recall seeing a silver furniture Siru but there could be some.

HI knives come in all combinations of handle and trim material. Handles can be horn, different kinds of hardwood, and occasionally bone or antler. The trim (bolster and buttcap) are most often white metal or brass, and occasionally steel.

Here is a picture of one of my all-time favorite HI knives. The bolster and buttcap are all steel, the handle is satisaal (a kind of rosewood), and the blade finish is satin. The overall length is 15.5" and the weight is 16 oz. In my opinion this is pretty much an ideal size blade for self-defense in most situations that a civilian is likely to encounter in a lifetime. The model is the Chitlangi, but the size, proportions and other characteristics are very similar to a Sirupati. In fact a Chitlangi can be thought of as a beautified Sirupati.

Chitlangi15.5in-Villager-Lokendra16oz-for-Dave-01cr.jpg

HI knives come in all combinations of handle and trim material. Handles can be horn, different kinds of hardwood, and occasionally bone or antler. The trim (bolster and buttcap) are most often white metal or brass, and occasionally steel.

Here is a picture of one of my all-time favorite HI knives. The bolster and buttcap are all steel, the handle is satisaal (a kind of rosewood), and the blade finish is satin. The overall length is 15.5" and the weight is 16 oz. In my opinion this is pretty much an ideal size blade for self-defense in most situations that a civilian is likely to encounter in a lifetime. The model is the Chitlangi, but the size, proportions and other characteristics are very similar to a Sirupati. In fact a Chitlangi can be thought of as a beautified Sirupati.

View attachment 730416
That is an absolutely beautiful knife!

View attachment 730416
That's a elegant looking knife, very nice indeed...I guess just right now I'm torn still kinda between the 18" and 15" but now that you pointed out the blade size doesn't really matter in self defense...because no matter what you will definitely need to be up close anyway...so the smaller would be better in a sense. I think if I bought the 15" sirupate it would definitely be my edc.

My 18.5" Chitlangi. Very sweet knife. Still one of my favorites. Mine sports brass. I like brass with the wood handles but the silver looks great with black horn. All a personal preference.
d4f8ceaabf4583f4485afd9ce64005b4

27f9815029c95532dc7fcc4c9f3ac490

So just to be clear the horn is the black handle with the brass..and the wood is obviously the wooden brown handle...I only ask this because I want the sirupati with the black handle..I don't want to order the wrong thing...

Yup you are correct just say horn handle when ordering i emailed auntiw and asked for a horn handle 15 inch and as close to 15 or 16 oz and she nailed it

What's Ram Kumar's Mark?
If you could please put up some pictures of your 18" I would appreciate it if you could.

See? George has them so I don't need to post pics. Handy!

This thread makes me want a chitlangi too lol!
I love the 15" Siru...

Back