Recommendation? 18" or 15" Sirupati?

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Isaiah Gonzalez, Jul 4, 2017.

1. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I think you already know now that the 15" is the one to begin with as regards to HI kurks. Plenty big for most tasks and not so big that you can't use it to pick flowers for your love. YOU WILL next buy an 18" +/- version and soon after that, a sword too :rolleyes: so just stay posted for the deals of the day and soon you will have a nice collection and your only problem will be what to carry. :thumbsup: :cool:

Enjoy!

Ray

2. stwm

stwm

May 6, 2016
    Get yourself the 18! You can always go bigger or smaller.
    Full disclosure: I have 2 18's and a 20 (m43, tin chirra, gelbu special) - I just got my first 15" - it's a perfect size, super-duper nice. It's a BAS.

What's Ram Kumar's Mark?

3. joeraz

joeraz Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Ram Kumar RamKumar.jpg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  4. Isaiah Gonzalez

Isaiah Gonzalez

Jul 3, 2017
    You couldn't have said it better, thanks for the choice support guys I will definitely be getting the 15".

5. Isaiah Gonzalez

Isaiah Gonzalez

Jul 3, 2017
    So just to be clear the horn is the black handle with the brass..and the wood is obviously the wooden brown handle...I only ask this because I want the sirupati with the black handle..I don't want to order the wrong thing...

6. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    Clear. Black is horn. All you gotta ask for is Horn. Siru's are generally brass as well. Don't recall seeing a silver furniture Siru but there could be some.

7. George Azar

George Azar Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Correct.

8. davidf99

davidf99 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 27, 2011
    HI knives come in all combinations of handle and trim material. Handles can be horn, different kinds of hardwood, and occasionally bone or antler. The trim (bolster and buttcap) are most often white metal or brass, and occasionally steel.

Here is a picture of one of my all-time favorite HI knives. The bolster and buttcap are all steel, the handle is satisaal (a kind of rosewood), and the blade finish is satin. The overall length is 15.5" and the weight is 16 oz. In my opinion this is pretty much an ideal size blade for self-defense in most situations that a civilian is likely to encounter in a lifetime. The model is the Chitlangi, but the size, proportions and other characteristics are very similar to a Sirupati. In fact a Chitlangi can be thought of as a beautified Sirupati.

Chitlangi15.5in-Villager-Lokendra16oz-for-Dave-01cr.jpg

9. George Azar

Apr 18, 2017
    That is an absolutely beautiful knife!

10. Isaiah Gonzalez

Isaiah Gonzalez

Jul 3, 2017
    That's a elegant looking knife, very nice indeed...I guess just right now I'm torn still kinda between the 18" and 15" but now that you pointed out the blade size doesn't really matter in self defense...because no matter what you will definitely need to be up close anyway...so the smaller would be better in a sense. I think if I bought the 15" sirupate it would definitely be my edc.

11. ndoghouse

ndoghouse

Aug 26, 2010
    My 18.5" Chitlangi. Very sweet knife. Still one of my favorites. Mine sports brass. I like brass with the wood handles but the silver looks great with black horn. All a personal preference.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

George Azar likes this.
  12. George Azar

Apr 18, 2017
    Beautiful knife!

13. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016

Yup you are correct just say horn handle when ordering i emailed auntiw and asked for a horn handle 15 inch and as close to 15 or 16 oz and she nailed it

14. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Isaiah Gonzalez

Isaiah Gonzalez

Jul 3, 2017
    If you could please put up some pictures of your 18" I would appreciate it if you could.

16. George Azar

Apr 18, 2017
    IMG_9842.JPG

My 18" Sirupati

17. George Azar

Apr 18, 2017
    IMG_9847.JPG

I like my 18" Chainpuri better than my 18" Sirupati.

18. Isaiah Gonzalez

Isaiah Gonzalez

Jul 3, 2017
    Not as big as I expected but still impressive, is it sharp?

George Azar likes this.
  19. George Azar

Apr 18, 2017
    Very much. And you can sharpen it more.

20. stwm

stwm

May 6, 2016
    See? George has them so I don't need to post pics. Handy!

This thread makes me want a chitlangi too lol!
    I love the 15" Siru...