1911 help needed.....

Eric Isaacson

Pirate
I'm looking for some advice from my HOG friends. I trust your opinion (which may be a mistake if you've been drinking ;) ) and I'm looking at picking up another 1911.
I would like it to be:
Reliable
US Made
Commander size
And I don't want to spend a fortune, would like to keep it under $800

What are my options? Include pics if you have them.

Thanks in advance for your time.

:D:D

I look into the Springfield LW Champion Operator or an older Dan Wesson CBOB. I recently saw a CBOB sell for around 900.

Just saw a Kimber 1911 for sale online:
Kimber Custom II 1911 w/ Night Sights - 45 ACP Pistol - Model #: 3200015 - NEW IN BOX

less than $800

Google it for pics. I don't have one... yet

Eric,
Having proximity to (and a lot of dollars in) one of the largest gun stores in the country, which has a huge inventory of 1911s from American Tactical cheapies to Nighthawks, let me give you the advice I always give folks---don't buy the brand or model, buy the gun in front of you. They have had to send Colt, Kimber, Springfield, Dan Wesson, Ruger, Sigs and probably every other make and model back to the factories because of manufacturing defects. I own a Springfield Milspec which is accurate as hell and eats everything, and got refunded for a TRP that made two trips back to Springfield and never did run right. There is no magic brand or model. Don't decide to get "a" Ruger, decide whether or not to buy the Ruger they put on the counter.

1) slide fit is not nearly as important as you think---sure, in this day and age of CNC there's no excuse for too much slop, but ultra-tight slides are prone to debris sensitivity, and nowhere NEAR as important as...

2) the fitting of the barrel lugs! This is the most crucial indicator of accuracy and consistent function--pull the slide back and let it slam forward, put your thumb on the trigger guard and your middle finger on the barrel and try to pinch them together. If it doesn't move at all, that's great fitting. If it seems to be just barely shifting, it should be okay. If there's a noticeable "click" and it moves down out of position, you do not have a good lockup, and it likely will get worse rather than better, as the ill-fitting parts do not wear each other consistently.

3) check the dust cover for even thickness---this is the weakest part of the frame and I've seen one side ground down too thin on some really expensive guns. Check the safety, positive clicks up and down, goes all the way up and all the way down. Partial engagement/mushiness should either be fixed by a competent gunsmith or avoided in the first place.

4) all of that said, in your price range I think the Rugers are worth looking at, and also the Desert Eagle/Magnum Research versions---the latter in particular (although with ugly, huge lettering on the slide) seems to be manufacture very well--they don't leave casting marks on the internals like many makers do, and some bored/anal attention with a micrometer and three pistols that I did one Saturday showed VERY consistent dimensions.

Good hunting.

Warren

Thanks for the info so far.

Warren,
Thank you for taking the time to write that up, I respect your opinion and will definitely look into those suggestions. You always notice things that I do not and appreciate your advice. I wish you were closer to Kentucky and I'd pick you up and take you to the gun store with me ;)

Did a quick google search for the Desert Eagle/Magnum research and I don't know if I can get past that lettering ;)

Eric- You spend a premium on top grade knives as we we all here. I apply the same logic to guns (particularly 1911s) and have been well served.

What about a Para Expert Commander? The frame is hard coat anodized aluminum (I don't know if this is a problem or not) and many of the steel parts are nitrided, including the stainless steel slide. It has a skeletonized trigger, a beavertail grip safety and the sights are two-dot rear and a green fiber-optic front. I've seen them going for less than $700 on GunBroker.

Should be a good gun.....I had a Para GI Expert for several years (traded it for a XD(M) 9) and it was a damn good gun. Reliable, accurate and well-made.

Edited: Ok, that cannot be right. Para USA's website had the wrong description for this gun. They say 5" barrel but depict a 1911 with both a Commander slide and frame. They need to make up their minds...

Last edited:
I have an older Kimber CDP PRO ( before they were marked CDP PRO II ) . It is a full size frame with 4" barrel , lightweight and a great carry piece . Also very accurate and dependable after about 10 years and several thousand rounds . $800.00 or so if you look around .

Colt for that price range is hard to beat. A lot of companies even the high end ones just cut down their fullsize frames and stick a commander slide on there.

S&W makes a nice commander, so does Springfield, Colt, Kimber, most of em. I actually like the smith 1911s a lot. And as stated above buy the gun not the brand.

Simple answer is the Ruger SR1911 Commander size. Under $800 made in the U.S.A. And made by a quality company with good customer service. It is also very reliable and looks good. Many less expensive 1911s that have the same quality levels lack in looks compared the the Ruger. Very good price point too.

That is probably what will happen but I'm trying to avoid it if possible ;)

:D:D

I hear Mr. Brown and Mr. Baer calling your name :)

A little above the $800 price range, but look around. With patience you can find some pretty good deals on them used.

If you do not want to go that high, then S&W is another good choice.

I spotted an SR-1911 at a gun show a few weeks back for $625. They are out there, just gotta look hard.

View attachment 388791
Granted I've shot several hundred rounds through my Colt but this was the first time at the range with the Glock.

Since I put a set of Meprolights on my Glock 17 I can hold a 5 inch group or so at 15 yards. Not a tack driver by any means, but in a self-defense situation, let's just say the bad guy is history, even with a group that size! But NO gun will be more dependable in a bad situation than a Glock. As far as accuracy.......much to be desired! I think it is the trigger for most 1911 guys. You get used to that smooth light trigger of a 1911 and then get to the hard mushy Glock trigger and everything goes downhill accuracy-wise. I just have lots of practice on my Glock so I am used to it and it doesn't affect me much. I just would take 100% reliability and dependability over tack driving accuracy any day. But that being said, 1911s are certainly great guns! Good to have a Colt my friend.

You could easily drop a 3.5 or 4.5 lb connector in that Glock 17. I bet your groups improve even if you've already had a lot of trigger time with that gun.

Back