1911 help needed.....

You could easily drop a 3.5 or 4.5 lb connector in that Glock 17. I bet your groups improve even if you've already had a lot of trigger time with that gun.

Actually I had thought about doing that recently! Just too afraid to do it myself because it isn't quite as easy replacing sights, or mag catches, or slide releases. Any particular brand/weight connector you would recommend?

I'm looking for some advice from my HOG friends. I trust your opinion (which may be a mistake if you've been drinking ;) ) and I'm looking at picking up another 1911.
I would like it to be:
Reliable
US Made
Commander size
And I don't want to spend a fortune, would like to keep it under $800

What are my options? Include pics if you have them.

Thanks in advance for your time.

:D:D

check out the Smith & Wesson SC. Little bit more money but it is a great gun. very reliable

Actually I had thought about doing that recently! Just too afraid to do it myself because it isn't quite as easy replacing sights, or mag catches, or slide releases. Any particular brand/weight connector you would recommend?

If you're gonna go with a 4.5 lb pull, you might as well use one of the Glock 4.5 lb connectors. I don't believe Glock is still making a 3.5 lb connector anymore, unless I just haven't seen them. If you can't find an OEM 3.5 lb connector, look at something from Lone Wolf. Yes, they make those too!

Eric,

I was looking for pretty much the same thing in a 5" gun. I've been told that all of Springfield Armory's frames are IMBEL/Brazil. I was looking hard at used Colt's and the Sig, until I ran up on a good deal on a NIB Para Expert for $545 out the door at the last gun show, same one where I sold my Mossy 930 for $525. Seemed meant to be. It's nothing fancy, but a good basic shooter, given my limited trigger time with it so far. I like buying local, the Para is made @ 1.5 hours down the road from me. I think they've got their previous issues worked out and are worth taking a chance on. If Ruger made a blued gun, I'd have probably bought that despite the lawyerese on the dust cover.

GregB
BaconBeavers

I have had excellent luck with both of my Kimbers.

Eric: I own or have owned 1911's from Colt (two Combat Commanders), SIG (two 5" GSR's and a 5" Nightmare), Dan Wesson (a CCO, a Heritage, and a Valor) and Nighthawk (a 6" 10mm).

Thus, these are the only ones I can be honest about commenting on. Knowing what I know now, if for some unfathomable reason I found myself without a 1911 .45 ACP and was going to buy one, I would do whatever I had to do financially (even sell some Busses)to buy a Dan Wesson.

Both Colts have never been reliable. Of the SIG's one was unreliable to the point that SIG replaced it, and the other two have been good guns, just not up to the DW's in smoothness, trigger pull, fit and finish. The Nighthawk is more of a specialty gun (hunting in my case) so it isn't really fair to compare the others to it.

SIG and Nighthawk customer service has been top-notch. I can't comment on Dan Wesson's customer service because I have never had to use it!

To sum it up, the DW's are noticeably superior to the Colts and SIGs and the reliability, fit and finish is so good that I really don't see me ever spending more for a .45 ACP, and if DW made a 6" 10mm I would probably not have the Nighthawk.

check out the Smith & Wesson SC. Little bit more money but it is a great gun. very reliable

The problem is finding one. I've been looking for one to handle for about 8 months, none of my local shops has any nor can they get them.

I've been watching them on Gunbroker etc, but I really want to handle one first. That is definitely one I've been wanting though.

:D:D

I would pick up the Ruger without a doubt. Ruger is my go to choice with American made firearms. Affordable and dependable.

Most of the guns you guys are naming aren't US made. That was in the criteria. I don't know where Dan Wessons are made now but they are CZ owned which isn't American. Don't get me started on Glocks.

Most of the guns you guys are naming aren't US made. That was in the criteria. I don't know where Dan Wessons are made now but they are CZ owned which isn't American. Don't get me started on Glocks.

Dan Wesson AFAIK are made in the USA. Not Kansas but maybe New York. but finding one for $800 is impossible

$800 or less and American....Kimber (maybe) and Para

For the love of God don't get a Ruger

I'm assuming he means made by an American company. I second the "don't buy Ruger".

If you won't put a connector in a Glock you don't want a lower end 1911. Talk about finicky.

A Springfield Loaded is the cheapest gun I would CCW if that's your intention. 1911s are known to puke randomly and quality is the only Pepto.

If you won't put a connector in a Glock you don't want a lower end 1911. Talk about finicky.

A Springfield Loaded is the cheapest gun I would CCW if that's your intention. 1911s are known to puke randomly and quality is the only Pepto.

Oh no TriviaMonster, trust me, I am not buying a 1911 at all! LOL This isn't my thread, me and cpio just kinda got off on our own little talk for a sec. But I see what you are saying! 1911's in general have been known to be finicky, but of course the higher end you go, the better. As with anything typically.

This used Wiley Clapp Commander was $950 in my hand.

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

Here it is with about $400 of additional work

IMG_0516_zpsc201418d.jpg

1911's in general have been known to be finicky, but of course the higher end you go, the better. As with anything typically.

1911s are known to be reliable. The finicky aspect comes from super tight tolerances (on expensive 1911s), bad machining, out of spec parts, and parts not being fitted right or not fitted at all (Ruger)

Since we're on the Glock topic, talk to some gunsmiths. A lot of them don't have anything good to say about striker fired guns

Back