1911 Holster

I haven't quite gotten my tooling down yet but it's getting better. I have a long way to go yet but I'm not giving up no matter how many times I tell myself to..

Anyway, the holster and mag carrier turned out alright for my Kimber. The leather is Wicket & Craig Chestnut for the face and the back is W & C Russet. This is my personal holster, and I was practicing my carving so I used some leather that had some defects from the factory.

L22hDUCh.jpg

0lGPpyoh.jpg

Even so, I'm happy with how it turned out. I definitely need to upgrade my carving tools/stamps to all better than craft tool one of these days. I'm sure that will help a lot but at $35 a pop, it's going to have to wait a bit. I've been cruising *bay to try and find a set less expensive than new. Hopefully one of these days.

Happy Holidays to you all!,

Merry Christmas man!
I must have missed the part where your tooling sucks, because I think it looks great!!

Also, love that face color!! :)

- AJ

Todd,
The tooling and the holsters are awesome. I hope to get more time behind the swivel knife and do more elaborate tooling this year.
I would be proud of the job you did.

Nice job Todd. Happy New Year! So for your first BK tool get a petal lifter. This is used prior to beveling on the flowers and some on the leaves too. This tool will help you get some of the depth you are looking for.

Those are gorgeous, Todd. Dave is right--i watched a video of someone using a petal lifter and it was incredible what a difference it made in the depth of the carvings. I'm hoping to take some carving classes soon, so I'm going to put that tool on my list as well. I too need better stamping tools; wish I'd have invested in fewer/better ones from the get-go.

Kinda a cool pic of Nichole, Dec 30th we were processing some late calves, she was watching two old cows duke it out. So look at the depth of the carving on her belt. That is from a petal lifter.

wtjeS9h.jpg

Thanks all!

Dave, I have one, just need to learn how to use it. I’ve tried some different things since your advice and I think I’m getting somewhere. I also need to get to where my tooling is clean and precise. I’m going to learn how to do it or die trying!

Sure appreciate the help and comments!

Todd

Todd the clean and precise comes with practice, nothing more. Ya'll get er.

Back