1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

1973 Name Change

Discussion in 'Schrade Knives Collectors Forum' started by black mamba, May 7, 2019.

1. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    When the Schrade Walden era ended in 1973, did anything actually change with the making of the knives, or was it simply a name change? New ownership, new factory, change in manufacturing processes, etc.????

TonySal likes this.
  2. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    I know the knives themselves were not affected by the change as far as quality and manufacturing goes.

koldgold and TonySal like this.
  3. bladecollectorr

bladecollectorr

Oct 7, 2017
    Here's a helpful link: http://collectors-of-schrades-r.us/articles/Schrade History.pdf

It's just a name change. Schrade Walden made sense when the factory was in Walden NY. They moved from Walden to Ellenville in 1958. After 15 years in Ellenville the name wasn't so appropriate anymore. That's my understanding.

TheChunk91, koldgold and TonySal like this.
  4. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.

5. sac troop

sac troop

Mar 4, 2009
    Nice document, but it is 20 years old now. As I understand it the Baer Family maintained controlling shares of several knife companies until the early 21st century when different ones were being sold off.
    Schrade was obtained by Taylor Brands in 2004.
    I think most of the changes during the period from 1946 to 2004 were done for branding, marketing, and other business organizational reasons.

6. bladecollectorr

bladecollectorr

Oct 7, 2017
    A point of clarification for any new Schrade collectors: all Imperial Schrade Corp's intellectual property was purchased by Taylor Brands in 2004. Taylor Brands did not buy the remaining inventory, tools and equipment or the Ellenville factory itself.

koldgold likes this.
  7. sac troop

sac troop

Mar 4, 2009
    Yes bladecollectorr makes a very good point, (no pun intended). The stories of the history of American knife companies can get very complex, and we can sometimes give shorter answers to general questions than others would consider are really accurate.

8. Codger_64

Codger_64 Moderator Moderator

Oct 8, 2004
    The name change actually occurred in late 1972, not January 1973. You will note two catalogs for 1973, published in the fall/winter of 1972. As for production, sheath knives continued to be made at the Walden factory for some time after most production had been moved to Ellenville.

koldgold likes this.