1973 Schrade-Walden 171UH?

Russell,

The seller told me he mailed it today. Can't wait. Anticipation is almost as thrilling as getting the knife. Unless, there are flaws in it that they failed to mention.

Jackie

It arrived this morning in mint condition and is serial number 07059.

Pre-1973 171UH
XX171UH1970-1972.jpg

Jackie

I have a 171 UH with aluminum bird's head pommel and brass spacer, serial# 03148. It has the blade etch (very faint). The sheath is the usual with the stone, but it is stained black (factory?), with brass snaps. The stamp on the blade is SCHRADE-WALDEN (first line), N.Y. U.S.A. (second line), and 171UH (third line). Mine is not what I'd call mint, but it is a very charming old soldier. I also have the later version, but still first run, serial #29661. I cannot detect a blade etch, but it may have had one. The sheath is the one with the stone and is the usual brown, with brass snaps.These knives are not stainless steel. Their charm is very real, but I would not pick them for hunting or defense either one. The old 147 and 497 blade patterns, and then the 165's and 160's are the best for handling game, and the ancient H-15 and its ilk by KABAR and countless others would still be my choice against humans.

I missed your earlier post Jackie, thanks for posting the pic of your 171UH BH model, they certainly made a sweet model with that one, nice find!

Russell

tongueriver wrote:

"..... countless others would still be my choice against humans."

I prefer a gun.:)

Sorry, tongueriver but I just couldn't past it up.

Jackie

I just got one of these 171UH patterns at a show this weekend. It was nice to find so much info here (thanks, guys). Mine is apparently about 1972-3, with serial #22183. Here's the kicker: cost was $13. Yep, sheath and stone too.

:mad:Some people have all the dang luck!:grumpy: ME I saw 1 at the Wanemacher show in Tulsa this last weekend now it had the box and bling ASKING price $150.00 :thumbdn:did'nt want to insult or be insulted so walked on!!!:(

BTW: great score in almost any condition intact!:thumbup:

My 171 that's not marked anywhere as being a 171. It "is" a Ducks Unlimited version though.
-Bruce
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I just purchased a 171UH. The tang is stamped:
SHRADE
U.S.A. 171UH
Uncle Henry is written in script on the brass guard beneath the tang stamp.
My question is, why isn't there a serial number. Weren't they all stamped with a serial number?

Lurking a long time before your first post I see. :D

I waited about 6 months before my first post.

Lots of information in beginning of this thread to answer your question. Plus many other threads on the 171 that when pieced together give a pretty clear overview of the production run and all the variations.

pseudo-lurking... lol. Most of the time I can find the answers I'm looking for, just by reading and listening. This time, apparently, I missed what I was looking to find. I haven't seen the actual information about the specific production run that didn't have serial numbers. I've seen it said the info was here, but haven't been able to find it... FOUND IT!

Any help would be appreciated. Could this be from a production run with no serial numbers? One of the guys from my other knife group said these were sold at Tractor Supply. That could explain it, right?
_

a_IMG_5119_1000.jpg

_

a_IMG_5125_1000.jpg

_

a_tang%2Bstamp_1000.jpg

Last edited:
One source says the first run was from 1973 to 1983, and a later run in 1990-1991. I believe that serialization stopped long before 1983. There were also sfo knives along the way, notably for Ducks Unlimited.

Seems like its probably from the 90-91 run. Or a replacement that didn't get serialized. Is Uncle Henry stamped in the indentation of the pile guard?

Back