1973 Schrade-Walden 171UH?

Yes, sorry, I should have put a picture of the Uncle Henry signature. It is on the brass guard directly beneath the tang stamp.

Interesting the blade is marked SCHRADE and not SCHRADE+

+ of course indicates stainless steel, but it apppears this one is just that.

Hello gentlemen. Having read all the data on the 171UH, I have a question for the moderator. When was the serialization discontinued? Or for that matter, when was it initiated? I found a 171UH this weekend with the serial number of 00211 ! If someone will advise as how to post a couple of pictures I will add them.

the only advice i can give is message me and i will give you my address so you can ship the knife to me. it is dangerous and needs to be kept away from the general public. i will volunteer for this hazardous duty. i know you did not know this when you picked up the knife but accidents can be avoided if you act quick.

Got a work sharp and decided to get papas old knife out and clean it up... it's Serial #00656... pretty cool after reading up on this old knife... has original sheath but no stone or box... not sure how to get pics on here from an iPhone... any help would be appreciated...

Got a work sharp and decided to get papas old knife out and clean it up... it's Serial #00656... pretty cool after reading up on this old knife... has original sheath but no stone or box... not sure how to get pics on here from an iPhone... any help would be appreciated...

If both your iphone and pc have internet and email, send and email to your pc with the photo attached. I'm sure somebody else can give instructions from there.
Can't wait to see it. :)

Here's pictures of the 171UH guard.

XX171UH1973c.jpg

XX171UH1973d.jpg

Jackie

I have 11001

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greetings, I realize this is an older post concerning the 171UH Pro Hunter but I picked up one at a gun show with a sheath with no stone pocket, brass snap, with a wrinkled type pattern on the sheath. The blade is 5 5/8 '' with no blade stamp at all and is parkerized. the only marking is the uncle henry signature on the brass blade guard, no serial number. Mnman

I would certainly like to see some images. Does not sound typical. The "wrinkled type pattern" on the sheath suggests early contract for Sears. Parkerized? Please show!

Greetings, I realize this is an older post concerning the 171UH Pro Hunter but I picked up one at a gun show with a sheath with no stone pocket, brass snap, with a wrinkled type pattern on the sheath. The blade is 5 5/8 '' with no blade stamp at all and is parkerized. the only marking is the uncle henry signature on the brass blade guard, no serial number. Mnman
I'm puzzled by what you mean by wrinkled pattern on the sheath, could it possibly be Alligator skin? And although somebody might have had it Parkerized, I've never heard of it being done by Schrade?

It has been reasonably (not necessarily 100%, but close) well-established that Schrade sold 171UH knives to Sears with elephant hide sheaths. Wait... I mean that the sheaths for Sears that look like elephant hide really were elephant hide (probably).

neat fact from a hide the got several layers off it. the just stamped the lower ones to make then look like the outside layer. one tough shin for sure. i have a pair of boots that are over 40 years old and still together.

When I was18 my father passed away that was about 37 years ago , he was an avid hunter . I made sure to keep his hunting knife I believe he bought new in 1972 a Shrade-Walden 171UH . Serial # 14407 Copper snap on knife strap and Nickel on the flint strap .I keep it near when camping or hiking .

Last edited:
I had forgotten about this thread.
I gave mine to a friend somewhere around seven years back and now have lost touch with that friend. We both moved. :(

Back