1979 Schrade Scrimshaw SC508 - "Helpless Hunter" scrim came true for tough Canadian

The early 1979 Schrade Scrimshaw of the Great Outdoors SC508 has a pretty iconic and memorable Frank Giorgianni scene of a man with what looks to be a wounded leg holding off a menacing bear with his knife.

EfWoz1v.jpg

For one middle-aged Canadian this horrific scene pretty much became reality when he was attacked by a grizzly near Powell River, BC. To quote: "It was grating my bones up". What did he do? Ask the bear for a safe-space? No, he pulled out his new "buck knife" while the bear was chewing on him, two-handed opened the folding knife and then stabbed the bear in the neck. He then biked 7 km to a logging camp before collapsing. 40 minutes later he was flown to hospital and is safely recovering.

Ballsy! Awesome! Go Canada! It immediately made me think of this SC508 so I'm sharing this amazing story.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/grizzly-attack-1.5233841

It blew me away that he even had the same "injured leg" that he had to wrap up while the now-wounded bear eyed him. Seriously, the scrim totally came to life. As a solo camper I find the story quite inspiring! Real-life "The Revenant". That should definately be his new nick-name.

Good knife, good post, good story, and good movie (although it has not much in common with what actually happened in that far-away time).

Back