1984 SAK Champion with Chisel

Greetings :)

Thanks to this forum I managed to identify my SAK, I don't know if its common to discuss the story of your knives on here but I thought I would post a bit about my knife and its history.

My Dad bought us both one while we were on a trip to Singapore in 1984 or early 1985 I'm not sure which. Sadly he has long since lost his but I have managed to keep mine in fairly constant use for the last 33 years or so. I was 19 when he bought them and I'm 52 now so I look at it as something of an old friend, it's a little bit battered and bruised but every single item works as it should. It's never been far from my side in all of those years and has covered more miles and visited more countries than I can count. I was cleaning it yesterday as it was getting a little stiff and wondered if I could identify it. I knew it had been superceded as I've seen other similar models with more features over the years (some of them useful, some I suspect, not so much!) Anyway, I was able to track it down to the correct model of SAK Champion with Chisel which is nice to know :) I had honestly thought that the chisel was a screwdriver as to the best of my memory it has never been sharp and looks as though it has never had an edge on it were they supplied sharp or has it just lost all sembalance of an edge over the years?

I can't remember the purchase price but I seem to have vague memories of arounf $100 singapore dollars. I'm not sure how much that was in 1984 but what ever it was it has been exceptional value for money and a true testament to the quality of the brand.

Cheers

Tim

JqfKQg
Having problems uploading pics

https://flic.kr/p/JqfKQg

Last edited:
I don't see the pic, but might be me

I like the stories, and that's a good one. Sorry to hear father lost his. I know why yours is special.

I put it through a heavy hot wash in the dishwasher yesterday. Made a massive difference and got rid of all the stubborn gunk. Everything opens and snaps back into place really well now.

1. Dishwasher on hot cycle
2. Blow off with compressed air
3. Soak with WD 40
4. Blow off with compressed air
5. Light machine oil. We have food grade oils at work so this is perfect.

Apart from over 30 years of wear it's as good as new :)

I'd post a pic but I can't seem to get it to work. I click on add picture, paste in the pic URL and nothing seems to happen.

Direct link to Flickr here

https://flic.kr/p/JqfKQg

Tim

Last edited:
Back