1990s BUCKCOTE models?

OK guys first off I'll admit right up front that I'm mainly a Spyderco fan these days for the most part. Although I did cut my knife loving teeth on Buck, Ka-Bar, Case and Queen Cutlery all the way back to my teenage days. And over the years I owned and used quite a few Buck models and a few of those other brands of knives I mentioned. From the time I was a teenager I just bought knives at my local hardware store and those were mainly the brands they always carried. I've had several BUCK models over the years and I still own about 6 older models to this day>> so with that said I'm no stranger to BUCK and I still have a ton of respect for the company.

I have a question to ask you guys with some expertise of past BUCK models. Back in the 1990s BUCK had introduced a line up of their mainline models that were coated with an "ion fusion" >> they were called the "BUCKCOTE" models. They had an ion fusion coating on them that was super hard and the factory told you that they are only to be sharpened only on one side>> and they had a metallic gold color on the coating. I had two of those at one time>> I had a model 119 fixed blade and a model 110 folder both with the Buckcote feature. I never used them because I mainly bought them as collector pieces. But I do distinctly remember that the instructions they came with told you to only sharpen them on one side>> which by default made the coating the cutting edge. I traded both of those Buckcote models in the early 2000s for some Spyderco blades I wanted at the time. So I never sharpened or used either one of those.

I have a question to ask you guys related to those older Buckcote models? I'm hoping that you all can point me to an information source about those older Buckcote models? Maybe there is a past thread here on BF you guys might be aware of? Or maybe you guys can point me to a website that might have information about Buckcote models. No hurry on the reply and I truly thank you all in advance if you have any information that would be very helpful.

BuckCote was introduced in the 1997 catalog.
The name was changed to Ion Fusion in the 2000 catalog.
The reason was to emphasize that it was not a coating but an actual molecular bonding.

JD Spydo, if you are a BCCI member, a lot of information is available in the catalog years mentioned above.

Back