1st Friday Production Updates

Fancier never hesitates to share the good word ;)

HK, I was thinking of you when I saw the LE 4 update. Glad to see things moving along there!

http://mailchi.mp/surviveknives/survive-1st-friday-production-update?e=af033eaeba

June 2017

1st Friday Production Update:
Current Production:
  • With surface finishing a bit caught up now, we are working on getting knives finished up and shipped.
  • The SURVIVE! Workshop is currently working on the GSO-2.7, GSO-4.1, and GSO-7/7 orders, including Factory 2nds. A good bit of everything is shipping right now.
  • Guy is continuing to work on batches of the GSO-4 Limited blades.
  • With the revisions complete, GSO-3.5's will be grinding as soon as they can be fit into the schedule.

I did not catch that, what revisions do they speak of?
Edit: From context I'm assuming that it refers to the revisions to the overall production process rather than to any individual knife model, and that they are now confident enough in their techniques to be able to proceed with the next knife in the production queue.

Last edited:
Thanks, Fancier. My mind went straight to blade geometry and thinning the cutting edge, but when I reread slowly it made more sense :thumbsup:

I see "revisions" as the overall scheduling of blades as well and not changes to the 3.5, would certainly hope not. I'm too vested at this point (APR15).

They have made updates to their knives as well (heat treat and handle texture come to mind) but as I recall they didn't announce them as part of the production schedule.

Guy did update the GSO-3.5 very slightly. We have noticed some recurring problems with the primary bevels and believe some of Guy's designs are testing the limitations of the machine that is used to grind the bevels. This has led to a lot of blades either needing hand work to be fixed, or they get sold as Factory 2nds. In order to try and get more good blades out of the GSO-3.5 run Guy made some small updates to the bevel to make it easier for the machine. No changes were made to any other part of the GSO-3.5 and the revisions are very subtle. Here is a picture of the updated blade:

Attachments

• 3.5.PNG
    3.5.PNG
    60.1 KB · Views: 64
I see from the update that both the GSO and SK 3.5 are at heat treat. The GSO is available for preorder but the SK is not. Anyone know when the SK 3.5 will be available?

I see from the update that both the GSO and SK 3.5 are at heat treat. The GSO is available for preorder but the SK is not. Anyone know when the SK 3.5 will be available?
At this point I'm not sure who would have an answer about this brand new process.
In my mind this will be the real test to see how the new company and new SK process will work for us and SURVIVE!
I'm hoping for an insanely fast turn around time with SK stuff, but I have absolutely nothing to base that on other than my hopes and dreams.

I asked that question about the SK12 and Ellie said that the Survive shop will get the materials first so if you have already placed an order (presumably she was talking about a starter order) the GSO might ship first.
If on the other hand you are placing an order now the SK might ship first.
As Silver said this is a new experience for everybody and we will all be watching closely.

Ill break forum rule #23 and quote my own post...

I emailed S!K and got a next-day email from Jordyn...

"Once the SK-3.5 has finished production and is received in the SURVIVE! Workshop 95% complete, we will check them over for defects as part of the final packaging steps, and then the SK-3.5 will be in-stock ready and waiting for you to place your order."

So when the 3.5 comes back from the new manufacturer they will be put in stock (no pre-orders on this one). I'll be watching the production updates for this one!

Last edited:
Back