1st Friday Production Updates

http://mailchi.mp/surviveknives/2017-10-1st-fri?e=446eb26aea

I applaud S!K for closing their books on new orders. I'm sure it was not an easy decision, but I really think it was the right one. I'm looking forward to the SK line producing some positive results.

I agree with you. I just really hope it was a decision that they made on their own. I hope it was done to preserve some integrity and as an effort to show that they arent just scamming like all of the accusations that are flying around here. My fear is that paypal may have locked their ordering because of an influx of refund requests. Lets hope its the former and not the latter

I agree with you. I just really hope it was a decision that they made on their own. I hope it was done to preserve some integrity and as an effort to show that they arent just scamming like all of the accusations that are flying around here. My fear is that paypal may have locked their ordering because of an influx of refund requests. Lets hope its the former and not the latter
Oh man, I didn't think of it like that. I'm hoping for the same as well.

Just to go the extra step, here is a copy/paste of the text:

October 2017

1st Friday Production Update:

SURVIVE! News:
After much deliberation, we are closing down ordering until we have caught up on weekly sales orders. Production will be continuing, we just aren't going to be taking any new orders for a bit. Keep an eye on our production schedule page or sign up for our newsletter to stay in the loop on future availability. Stand by, we'll be rolling into 2018 like a grizzly bear on roller skates!

Current Production:
  • The last GSO-2.7 Presale orders are scheduled to ship out next week.
  • We're working on fulfilling GSO-4.1 and GSO-7/7 orders, Preorders and Factory 2nds.
  • GSO-4 Limited orders are being worked on in smaller numbers, until we are further ahead on older Preorders.
  • The GSO-3.5 / SK-3.5 grinding samples are looking great. The blades have been surface ground and bevel grinding will be going full steam shortly.
  • We've been holding off on cutting more blades until we got a feel for the new workflow, but now that we are getting the details sorted out, the GSO-12 / SK-12 will start cutting soon. Rest assured, there will be no noticeable gap between production runs.
  • The GSO-6 / SK-6 will be following right behind the GSO-12
Head over to our Instagram to see those grinding samples!

Future Production:
  • Production is scheduled to continue in the following order:
  • Additional models will be added to the production schedule once these are further along. This includes the Necker, Necker II, and GSO-4.7.

I was just able to add a GSO 3.5 to my cart so the web page is still collecting orders on Sat morning.

When I ordered a GSO 3.5 in July the preferring was supposed to close in a few days.

I’m putting my chances at getting the 5.1 I ordered a year and a half ago at 50-50 with a 2020 delivery date.

I remain more hopeful for the 4.1 and 7/7.... barely.

There’s some form of sadism going on with the S! ordering process. :eek:

I was just able to add a GSO 3.5 to my cart so the web page is still collecting orders on Sat morning.

When I ordered a GSO 3.5 in July the preferring was supposed to close in a few days.
I think that the SK 3.5 was the model that closed in a few days, along with the SK 12 and SK 6.

Silver, as I recall Ellie practically had to beg Guy to sell the seconds and uglies in the first place, so ending the weekly sales might not have been so hard for him. ;)
Ha! I'm glad your memory is like a steel trap where as mine is like a steel siv!
Now when the newsletter says closing down ordering, would you take that to mean cutting off all preordering as well? I was thinking they'd stop taking orders in any form.

It says the last of the presale 2.7's are shipping. I wonder if that means the 2.7 seconds will be shipping fairly soon?

when will the 4.1s actually go out??? at this rate i won’t see the 4.5 or delta 5.1 for another 3 years at minimum.

...My fear is that paypal may have locked their ordering because of an influx of refund requests...

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Either PayPal or pressure from another source. Although I have no idea if this has happened to S!K or not, I have heard of companies losing their ability to accept credit cards if too many charges are disputed...

I sincerely doubt that this was something Guy and Ellie came up with on their own.

My fear is that paypal may have locked their ordering because of an influx of refund requests.

Either PayPal or pressure from another source. Although I have no idea if this has happened to S!K or not, I have heard of companies losing their ability to accept credit cards if too many charges are disputed...

We are still accepting orders for t-shirts, silky saws, etc (using paypal or credit cards) so I think it should be pretty obvious that this is not the case.

I was pretty open before about the situation we're in with PayPal, but I will go into a bit more detail. When they decided we were a "high-risk" they chose to impose a minimum balance on our account, which just happened to match the amount of money that was in the account. Additionally, they are holding a percentage of every transaction for 180 days, even if it has been shipped or refunded.

There have been a lot of refund requests, including some where folks have gone straight to PayPal without contacting us first. But to keep it in perspective, since I started keeping track of refund numbers about a year ago we’ve refunded 8% of the knives on our backlog. I only keep track of the number of knives, not number of orders. With some folks ordering several knives the numbers start moving around, so I can’t say what the exact percentage of customers who have asked for refunds is. I would imagine it is similar.

Some things are still in stock because I added the inventory for them a while ago and haven't gone back in to remove the inventory that was remaining when we decided to stop taking new orders.

when will the 4.1s actually go out??? at this rate i won’t see the 4.5 or delta 5.1 for another 3 years at minimum.

The GSO-4.1s have been going out and are continuing to go out. There were a ton of orders placed for those so it is taking time to get through them all.

Between the investment for the SK Series and the tighter heavy machining standards, our in house processing should start speeding up considerably. Less time fixing, more time for finishing.

Great to hear, thanks Ellie.
That helps to give peace of mind to those who are sticking out the wait times and uncertainty of the recent accusations and situation. Appreciate the post and personally, I am and will continue to be patient and as Chiral said, wait excitedly for my 2 models :thumbsup:

Back