1st Friday Production Updates

I believe we are all just beginning to see the scale "extent" of the backlogs by listening to everyone's experiences and order history. I wasn't even aware that some have waited for the F2nd orders going back to Sept of 2016. Yea I'd say that's reason to "not place estimates anymore" (lol).

I’m thinking he had to have meant 2017 because of the order number mine is #108xx and I ordered on Feb 28, 2017. There is also someone earlier who received there’s that was ordered on Feb 1st. At least I hope that is the case or I have a real loooooooooong wait ahead.

I believe we are all just beginning to see the scale "extent" of the backlogs by listening to everyone's experiences and order history. I wasn't even aware that some have waited for the F2nd orders going back to Sept of 2016. Yea I'd say that's reason to "not place estimates anymore" (lol).

I’m thinking he had to have meant 2017 because of the order number mine is #108xx and I ordered on Feb 28, 2017. There is also someone earlier who received there’s that was ordered on Feb 1st. At least I hope that is the case or I have a real loooooooooong wait ahead.

Beg your pardon, all- yes, I meant September of 2017 for my F2 4.1 order. So sorry for the typo (that had read sept 2016). I updated the post to correctly state 2017.

The oldest F2 order I have seen posted here is from February 2017, which some folks are now receiving.

Again, the oldest factory second order is probably for a 4.1 from February of 2017, right?

because apparently two beers is too many for me to be able to determine my temporal coordinates in the space time continuum, three people have now had to correct my inability to type February 2017.....

Fancier, please mail me a boot so that I may use it to kick me in my own head.

I have an F2 4.1 on order from 2/24/17. Would be great to get it this year.

Apologies for my delay in posting updates. Jordyn replied promptly, but I've not had much time to access BF other than browsing by phone. The clarifications she offered me for upcoming models (as of email on 12/7/17) are as follows:

#51xx – GSO-7/7 – “We are actively working to fulfill the GSO-7/7 Starter Preorders, orders placed in March and April 2015. Based on what we are currently working on, and with your order being placed in April 2015, it should be shipping some time between January and February.”
Are you freaking serious? They keep pushing the dates on these further and further. Screw it, no need to wait until the end of the year for me anymore. I will be cancelling my order of knives from them. Survive pretty much killed any enthusiasm I had for fixed blades. I'm quite sure even if I waited for them, they'll just end up collecting dust like my other fixed blades. I'm not one you folks who drool over a very ordinary looking knife. From now on I'm just going to be sticking folders and my new found interest of air rifles. I could definitely use the funds to purchase a new FX Impact.

Are you freaking serious? They keep pushing the dates on these further and further. Screw it, no need to wait until the end of the year for me anymore. I will be cancelling my order of knives from them. Survive pretty much killed any enthusiasm I had for fixed blades. I'm quite sure even if I waited for them, they'll just end up collecting dust like my other fixed blades. I'm not one you folks who drool over a very ordinary looking knife. From now on I'm just going to be sticking folders and my new found interest of air rifles. I could definitely use the funds to purchase a new FX Impact.

So due to "Survive's" actions you've lost interest in fixed blades? Why would one company's failure to meet approx. timelines for delivery, etc. affect this decision, I don't believe anyone here is happy with the situation but I certainly enjoy using fixed blades from numerous makers. Maybe I or many of us are missing the point on this statement.

scout1sg, please don't feed the troll. Here's his very first post on Bladeforums: 'I'm waiting on the one and "only" one Survive Knives, the GSO 7/7. No knife is worth the 2 plus year of wait except a super sought after custom knife. I'm sure those usually give a fair warning of the wait time.'

Now, he's saying that he'll be cancelling 'my order of knives from them'. Which one is it? :D

Cheers,
C.

Again, the oldest factory second order is probably for a 4.1 from February of 2017, right?

That is as far back as I can account for F2nds as well. From Jordyn's response in regard to my 4.1 pre-sale last June it is among the batch of blades received from the prior grinder but doesn't appear it will surface anytime soon if still fulfilling starter orders from 2015 and imagine a huge backlog of F2nd orders from this year. Just amazing to see how they can forecast a set number of blades to fulfill F2nd orders while in the meantime knives ordered in the middle of the herd have no visibility of finish times. Hoping for a serious rebound early this coming year.

Hey Cata, friendly warning, at least one of the mods really hates the "t" word when referring to another BF user. ;)
Scout, I couldn't figure out their comment either so I decided not to engage them in discussion. :D

That is as far back as I can account for F2nds as well. From Jordyn's response in regard to my 4.1 pre-sale last June it is among the batch of blades received from the prior grinder but doesn't appear it will surface anytime soon if still fulfilling starter orders from 2015 and imagine a huge backlog of F2nd orders from this year. Just amazing to see how they can forecast a set number of blades to fulfill F2nd orders while in the meantime knives ordered in the middle of the herd have no visibility of finish times. Hoping for a serious rebound early this coming year.
I think that Survive inspects the blades and sorts them into several piles when they arrive. That lets them know how many "presale" blades they can sell and still have enough for all the starter and preorder knives.
That also allows them to know how many seconds (and possibly uglies) they can sell. I think that the inventory for everything they are currently shipping has been in their shop at least a year.
I don't know the relative numbers of firsts and seconds but I hope that most of the knives they make are firsts. It would be really painful to spend most of your time making seconds or uglies...

I think that Survive inspects the blades and sorts them into several piles when they arrive. That lets them know how many "presale" blades they can sell and still have enough for all the starter and preorder knives.
That also allows them to know how many seconds (and possibly uglies) they can sell. I think that the inventory for everything they are currently shipping has been in their shop at least a year.
I don't know the relative numbers of firsts and seconds but I hope that most of the knives they make are firsts. It would be really painful to spend most of your time making seconds or uglies...

There's certainly a method to the madness (lol). I assumed they always just factored a given % from historical runs how many are going to fall in either category (1st, Ugly Betty's/F2nds and any remaining Starters, etc.).

I know this has recently been discussed to some degree but I'm confused when they state "Starter 4.1s orders from MAR/APR15 are shipping this month, were they not already fulfilled and it was only initial Pre-Orders and F2nds now being shipped out?

I know this has recently been discussed to some degree but I'm confused when they state "Starter 4.1s orders from MAR/APR15 are shipping this month, were they not already fulfilled and it was only initial Pre-Orders and F2nds now being shipped out?
A few folks got their starter 4.1s early on, but the 4.1s appear to have had a lot of the same problems that the 4.7s had with handles not quite fitting flush or blades being not quite right, so a lot became seconds, and folk were clamoring because of the "90-day" time-frame and the like on the later orders, so I would suspect that S!K held off on the open-ended Starter 4.1s to focus on more immediate deliveries... that's just a suspicion, I have no special knowledge on that. But I CAN confirm that I recently received my F2 4.1 from February '16 but have NOT yet received my Starter 4.1 from that MAR/APR15 set, and I look forward to it arriving :thumbsup:

Although honestly I do not mind waiting, I am a patient guy with confidence in this company, and i know that they had been working on the 4LEs and 3.5s as well, and I have orders in for those as well, so I wouldn't mind if my next bunch of knives all came at the same time ;)

Production update is out.

Current Production:
  • Shipping this month:
    • The last GSO-4.1 Starter orders (March & April 2015)
    • GSO-7/7 March 2015 Starter orders
    • Weekly sales from March 2017
  • GSO-4 Limited blades will be getting final touch-ups on the grinder.
  • The end of January is going to be focused on surface finishing GSO-4.1, GSO-7/7, GSO-4 Limited, and GSO-3.5 blades.
  • That's right, the full run of GSO-3.5 blanks will be arriving to the SURVIVE! Workshop any day now! We still need a couple of months to get handles and sheaths for those.
  • The initial batch of SK-3.5 blades will be heading out to Precision Plus for finishing. There will be some final details to nail down for this first round of SK Series knives so we are still waiting to announce an official release date. Stay in touch @surviveknives on Instagram for regular updates.
  • GSO-12 / SK-12 run is on the water-jet!
  • The GSO-6 / SK-6 cutting will start immediately after those.

Starter orders for 4.1 (and 7/7) are still not complete? Groan ... guess it’s going to be several more months before they get to my pre-orders.

Who was it said, “Patience is a virtue — all good things come to those who wait”?

Back