How To 1st time shaving, need advice?

I have a gillete sensor excel blade and some edge sensitive skin shaving gel. Im going to shave for the first time but i have zits. Not all over my face, mainly around my chin, i break out in little clusters sometimes. Can i just shave over them or will that make it worse. How do i shave with zits, i cant really go around them because they are everywhere around my mouth and chin.

I have a gillete sensor excel blade and some edge sensitive skin shaving gel. Im going to shave for the first time but i have zits. Not all over my face, mainly around my chin, i break out in little clusters sometimes. Can i just shave over them or will that make it worse. How do i shave with zits, i cant really go around them because they are everywhere around my mouth and chin.

Assuming this post is real and not a joke...

Do you have a dad or older sibling/cousin who can show you? If not maybe watch a youtube video on shaving with acne? I’m sure there must be one.

Maybe it’s time you decide you look better with a beard after all? Or you could turn a lawn mower upwards and lean in close, just not TOO close.

There might be shaving forums you can join.

I never looked up any tutorials or had anyone teach me. I just try to remove the hairs without cutting my face, and I haven't had any disastrous results doing that. If I could grow a beard I wouldn't be trying to shave at all.

Then again, I shave with a folding straight-edge blade, not a razor designed for shaving, so my advice is probably scheisse.

Mantic59 is a youtuber with good shave advice. If its just normal zits (not cystic) and they are in the follicle, just tweezer them out beforehand. Otherwise you might want to try an electric for a while until your skin calms down.

Let your face heal before shaving....not worth the risk of spreading infection further if you knick one. Shave with the grain every couple days once your face clears even if you "don't need to" so you condition your skin to razor. I used to get razor bumps until I started shaving every other day.

Let your face heal before shaving....not worth the risk of spreading infection further if you knick one. Shave with the grain every couple days once your face clears even if you "don't need to" so you condition your skin to razor. I used to get razor bumps until I started shaving every other day.

Yes, especially if you’re new to shaving one will likely have quite soft thin hair that can easily be shaved off by going with the grain. I’ve been shaving for years and years and still typically shave with the grain, with the exception being sometimes my neck.

First things first. Deal with the problem before jumping into something that will make it worse.
https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Acne-in-1-Day

Robert, I'm bit like you mate as my old man never taught me to shave so I've always used electric.
Should get a proper razor and do it.
Then I can show my 2 sons how to do it.

Good luck!

Electrical shaver is good advice.
Some women actually shave
but they do have hair removal secrets...

I had to check three times to make sure this isn’t badger and blade. OP, did you type this in the wrong tab?

Don't shave with a razor at all. Get you a Wahl Peanut or similar trimmer and just use that. It will look pretty clean and neat and not affect the acne as much.

Check out the forum Badger and Blade if you encounter problems if the initial help here doesn't work. It's where the OCD shaving people hang out.

Their a fan of soap and brush which helps out greatly. As well as double sided safety razors which truth be told I've cut myself a lot less on than any cartridge based razor.

Than usually a select few cartridge razors they like and of course straight razors.

Very nice forum and good community, haven't been on there in a few years since I landed myself a job where I can grow a beard. They will teach you a lot of tips and tricks and probably get you to the point where you can get a nice comfortable shave and if your one of the unfortunate people who can't due to genetics and how your face and hair grows in they will teach you how to get pretty close without any irritation.

Though some advice ditch the gel or canned goop. Their just junk in comparison to proper soap and a shaving brush. My personal preference is Arko, it builds up a lather nice and quick. Though I started off with a Van Der Hagen shave kit I bought at a local pharmacy for $10 (razor not included) which included my first soap and included a bowl and brush I still use.

If you switch over to DE safety razors you also fine the blades are cheap which if you haven't checked out the prices of the replacement blades for most cartridges it will make you cringe. A few years ago I could get a 100 pack of my preferred brand of replacement blades for $10. My Gillette fusion significantly more. This gives you the option to throw away blades a lot easier when they are starting to get dull, you don't have to wait till they are due to cost. The DE razor themselves can be had for a few bucks to alot more. But realistically set aside plan $5-75 depending on what you catches your interest. I own a Lord razor I paid $7 for and it could last me a lifetime. Though if I ever get a job which I'm required to be clean shaven again I will bite the bullet and buy a high end adjustable razor so I can fine tune how agreesive it cuts.

Just a heads up your facial hair doesn't grow in one direction, different areas grow in different directions. And sometimes there will be spots where they are growing in multiple directions. Map out your face and use that info on how you shave. Shave with the grain for sensitive area and against the grain for a closer shave but it may irritate the area more. I personally do 1 pass with the grain, 1 against, and one clean up pass with it and I reapply soap between. There are two spots I have to shave in one direction only where hair grows in multiple directions and this will help prevent irritation for me, it was trial and error to learn that

Good luck and happy shaving.

Back