2 new prototypes in the works - Trapper and Pocket Nessie

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've had these bouncing around in my head for some time now. Finally got them down in CAD. Then had to wait for the time to be *just right*. ;)

I have been wanting to make a design that I could "Mid-Tech" - that is, get a factory to step in and help with production - as well as produce a handmade version.

The Mid-Tech and HandMade would be identical in dimensions and utility. The difference would be the ability to customize the HandMade with different steel options, grinds and handle materials - as well as get a leather sheath by Butch.

I've already started the ball rolling with the factory to get these going. I will have a shop-made prototype by week's end and then a factory-made prototype within a month or so.

The reason for the Mid-Tech option would be to have something on-the-shelf, ready-to-go to satisfy that itch for instant purchase gratification. For those that want something more specialized and specific, there's the HandMade option.

I have been listening to customers for years tell me they wish they had these options available. And I have been working with factories, suppliers, etc. to help make this possible. This is like getting designer goods at big-box-store prices. The ergonomics will be the same, most of the materials will be the same - it will just be narrow in options (no ironwood, liners, etc.) but available immediately.

I will still personally oversee every individual knife that leaves my shop. This is just another avenue I'm exploring to put quality materials and well-thought-out designs into more customers' hands.

These will not be made by another company - I am having the parts made, overseeing assembling and providing quality control. I've thought this through for years - on how to do this right - and this is it. I don't want to relinquish quality by having someone else just mass-produce it. I can't manufacture them myself - even if I had a CNC-Mill I would not have enough time to manage this as well as keep my custom/handmade business. There are many hurdles/hoops/etc. that a knifemaker has to jump through to work with a "namebrand factory". I've never been keen to go that route, preferring to keep as much as possible "close to the chest". I want to be involved in all aspects/phases/etc. and be the one to put the final seal of approval on them.

Yes - I'm going to be the designer, supplier, distributor and retailer. I will have eyes on the process from Start to Finish. I am humbled to be in a position to do this, jittery with nerves at the risk involved, and so excited at this opportunity I might tinkle a bit in my shorts. :eek:

Enough talk...on to the knives!

The first one is the Pocket Nessie.

It will have 12c27 stainless (or equivalent) steel and come with a leather pocket-sheath.

Here is the CAD drawing with a ruler below for scale.

PocketNessie2013.gif

Specs:
3" blade, 5/32" thick, full flat grind, stone-tumbled finish
3.5" handle - 5/8" thick (handle-tang-handle), pins & lanyard

It will come with this sheath:

PocketNessieSheath2013.gif

- which can be carried left-side or right-side. It will have a wide cutout next to it for a pen, small tool, firesteel, marlin spike, etc.

Pricing will be in the $50-75 range for the Mid-Tech version. :eek:

The next one is the Trapper.

It will also be made from 5/32" thick 12c27 (or equiv) stainless steel.

It has a full-size handle - similar to the Woodlore - and comes with a 3.75" drop-point blade. The handles will be 5/16" thick for a total of ~3/4" including the tang.

Trapper2013a.gif

Specs:
8.25" Overall Length
3.75" blade, 0.157" thick, 12c27 stainless steel, flat grind, stone-tumbled finish
4.5" handle, 3/4" thick total, palm swell/contouring, pins, lanyard

Right now I am leaning toward a Dual Carry sheath made from drum-dyed black leather. I can "Cam" it so that the guard drops into a little gap inside the sheath essentially "locking" it into place when carried horizontally - a really neat feature you don't find on most factory knives. Here's a drawing showing what I'm talking about:

TrapperSheath2013.gif

Pricing will be closer to $75, depending on the sheath option.

Like I said - I will be making HandMade versions of these knives too. The lists aren't open yet - but will be soon!

This has been in the works for a long time and is finally being made possible now that all the pieces have fallen into place.

Let me know what you think and if the price sounds right to you. I do listen to customers and take feedback!

Thanks for looking!

Dan

KosterKnives.com

Last edited:
I want a hand made Trapper. Put me first on the list!!! Make that the first 4, i need some gifts for some great people! Thanks Dan!!!

The pocket Nessie looks great. I have been wanting a fixed blade pocket sheath setup like that for a while now.

Brian

At the price point, I would have to have at least 1 of each (maybe more, if you changed the handle color up every once in a while or changed the blade steel). The nessie first, since I digs me some pocket sheaths.
Thanks

Calemerson

Both look really nice, Dan! I would for sure pick up that "PocketMuk", but probably carry it as a neck knife. :)

I really like the Trapper too and will get one, but I would like to see the blade just a little longer, like >3.75". Still, a very nice looking knife at a great price point!

I do like the steel for these. Not a high-end steel but a very good value and I've had decent performance on the knives I have with 12C27. I expect that a mid-tech will be even a bit better.

Just let me know when the list opens up! Good luck on this endeavor!

Jeff

Last edited:
I'm also really digging the Pocket Ness. Any possible new blade steel offerings on the customs Dan? I would love to see elmax, xhp, m390 or similar as an option. :thumbup:

I really like the design of both knives... Especially the Pocket Nessie. I am interested in one of each; and the price seems on par. How will you roll them out? Through the forum? Your web page? - Don't want to miss out!

I am certain these will sell well, especially at those price points!
Would there be a web site set up for this to pre-order?

Pocket Nessie...yes!

I'm also really digging the Pocket Ness. Any possible new blade steel offerings on the customs Dan? I would love to see elmax, xhp, m390 or similar as an option. :thumbup:

Didn't mean to come off too demanding. I know, I know, everyone wants something and launching something like this is challenging enough on its own :eek:

I do love your 3V and I would definitely buy a pocket ness in any steel. I just thought that a newer steel with really good
edge retention would be really cool for a little edc slicer like this.

Also good luck with this endeavor! It will be great to get your name out there even more and to get more of your phenomenal knives into more hands :cool:

I really like the design of both knives... Especially the Pocket Nessie. I am interested in one of each; and the price seems on par. How will you roll them out? Through the forum? Your web page? - Don't want to miss out!

I am certain these will sell well, especially at those price points!
Would there be a web site set up for this to pre-order?

I have a store already set up, ready to go. Just has nothing in it right now. :D

I will be the retailer for this one. You'll make the purchase through my online store and it will be me inspecting, packaging and shipping it out. :thumbup:

I'm flattered and humbled by the response to the Pocket Nessie. It's a dream knife for me....it's the one I've wanting to carry for a long time...just been waiting to bring it to the light.

The trapper is a relatively new knife with an interesting history behind the design. I do keep track of customer comments, requests, ideas, etc. And over the years I've accumulated them and certain things have risen to the top. I took those things and "Frankenstein-ed" them into a knife design and then started to tweak it to get the lines/balance/etc. right. With CAD I can reasonably model material densities and get a good idea of the weight, balance and fit. Some of you may remember me collecting and compiling a large list of hand sizes a few years ago - that has been incorporated as well. In essence - I've tried with this design to create an "everyman's knife". Something that should appeal to the broader masses....yet still retain my design sensibilities and work with the tools that I have in my shop. 3.5"-4" seems to be the most desire blade length, and 4.25-4.5" is the most preferred/liked handle length. I've taken the best ergonomics of everything I make and applied them to the handle - there will be an "upside-down egg" shape to the cross section and palm swell contouring. As with all my handles, corners are rounded over to make it very comfy for multiple grips. There's lots more and as I think of it, I'll add it to this thread. :thumbup:

Thanks for all the interest and support, guys. With any luck this will turn out great and I'll be able to introduce a few new models each year.

Dan

Didn't mean to come off too demanding. I know, I know, everyone wants something and launching something like this is challenging enough on its own :eek:

I do love your 3V and I would definitely buy a pocket ness in any steel. I just thought that a newer steel with really good
edge retention would be really cool for a little edc slicer like this.

Also good luck with this endeavor! It will be great to get your name out there even more and to get more of your phenomenal knives into more hands :cool:

I do plan on offering more steel options on the HandMade versions. I always hesitate to jump on the bandwagon with new steels. Remember 440V? That was supposed to revolutionize the knife world. Well...can't hardly find it anywhere nowadays because it didn't "stick". 3V has definitely "stuck" and is extremely reliable, machinable and more importantly - I can get it in large sheets to keep it economical. ;)

Dan

wow! sign me up for the pocket rocket ... or Pocket Nessie as you call it ;)

Can't wait for the order sheet to open up on those.

Last edited:
I would be in for a trapper, maybe with some nice wood handles or to match my Bushcrafter.

Back