2-piece "solid cf" scales

Received my KW M4/CF Para 2 today. Everything is great and I'm keeping it.

But I'm annoyed that the scales are definitely not one piece. The peel ply is definitely laminated on top of another piece of carbon fiber (it better not be "CF look" G10). Are the peel ply CF scales in other models the same?

This isn't what I expected, and a bit of a disappointment. It's still an incredible piece overall. But at that price and with that marketing it's definitely a bummer.

Can anyone confirm that it is actual carbon fiber under the peel ply layer?

I can also say that I would have preferred a simple matte carbon fiber 1 piece scale over 2 piece peel ply.

"Peel ply" is a surface treatment in that the forming mild is lined with a piece of textured material that is adhered to the cf when it comes out of the mold. This material is then "peeled" from the surface to reveal the negative image of the texture.

That scale is entirely cf.

I know exactly what peel ply is, I've used it many times in the past patching boats.

And I can guarantee you they are not one solid piece of carbon fiber.

To clarify the scale maybe (probably is) 100% carbon fiber. But it is definitely two pieces of carbon fiber per scale. Not solid carbon fiber.

That KW M4 CF PM2 is solid carbon fiber. Peel ply is just the texture they put on the surface of the scale. It's NOT 2 layered pieces.

Sounds like I better take a picture.

Many of us have owned this model, I've sold off at least 3 or 4 of this exact knife. I can assure you that it's a solid piece of carbon fiber on each side of the handle. Peel-ply only refers to the texture of the surface of the carbon fiber.

Two pieces. More clearly demarcated on the clip side, but it is clearly visible with the naked eye on both sides.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190118-213114_Gallery-810x1665.jpg
    Screenshot_20190118-213114_Gallery-810x1665.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 20190118_212807-1470x3024.jpg
    20190118_212807-1470x3024.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 107
I've seen that exact line on the scale of my CF/52100 Military, and although it looks like it's 2 layered pieces, it's not. Mine is only on one edge of the scale and terminates on the ends and you can't see that line on the other side.

I don't know what to tell you. It's a glue line. With the naked eye and regular room light the line is visible around the entirety of both scales.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but I've worked with composites including carbon fiber. A good glue line is almost impossible to see, and true to that the actual glue line is difficult to see. But the outside layer of carbon fiber is of a different shade of black than the interior piece of carbon fiber.

Is this the original release or the most recent release of the M4/CF PM2? All of mine were from the original run years ago and they were all solid pieces of carbon fiber. Not sure of the newer release though.

Most recent, just ordered from knifeworks who shipped it incredibly fast! They were also very, very helpful on the phone.

Well, I just read the description of the latest release and it's advertised as peel ply textured solid carbon fiber. I'd return it if you're not happy with it.

Like I said I'm happy with it, I think it's an awesome knife. Think they're being very liberal with the marketing though. I mean I guess technically it is solid carbon fiber, but it is also two pieces of carbon fiber per scale.

I'm just thinking that most of us would take the phrasing "solid carbon fiber" to mean one piece, and I'm disappointed it's not.

Like I said I'm happy with it, I think it's an awesome knife. Think they're being very liberal with the marketing though. I mean I guess technically it is solid carbon fiber, but it is also two pieces of carbon fiber per scale.

I'm just thinking that most of us would take the phrasing "solid carbon fiber" to mean one piece, and I'm disappointed it's not.
Spyderco does layer CF on top of G-10 for some models (not this one obviously) so when they say solid CF they could be indicating that it's not CF on top of another material.

Yeah, I've seen that in the past. I was hoping that this would be a solid piece in contrast the others you mention.

I have some other folders with machined pre-preg carbon fiber handles that are incredibly stiff, but I don't like the ergos. And I absolutely adore the paramilitary 2. I can't say it enough.

I don't dislike the knife at all, at the very high price point I honestly was expecting one piece scales though. I think I paid 40 or $50 more than I did for my s110v version. Other than that the fit and finish is perfection, it's gorgeous, and I'm really excited to try out some M4. I have a couple 3v fixed blades, and whenever they make a PM2 in 3v I'll buy two regardless of the scale material or color. :D But for now I'm stoked to see how she does.

I will try and take a photo through my triplet if that will sate your disbelief. It's not even up for question anymore, even under 10x it's clear as day these are two different materials.

Back