2-piece "solid cf" scales

You know what, I think I know what they're doing.

I think they take a sheet of finished prepreg and lay a new wetted out layer of carbon fiber on top that they can apply peel ply on. That would explain it, I can't say that's what they are doing proof positive, but that could definitely explain it. Similar to what they were doing with carbon fiber over g10, but carbon fiber over carbon fiber.

It's not as homogeneous as an unembellished sheet, but I guess as long as it's carbon fiber and carbon fiber it's a nitpick. Epoxies are strong enough that I'm sure it won't be an issue.

You know what, I think I know what they're doing.

I think they take a sheet of finished prepreg and lay a new wetted out layer of carbon fiber on top that they can apply peel ply on. That would explain it, I can't say that's what they are doing proof positive, but that could definitely explain it. Similar to what they were doing with carbon fiber over g10, but carbon fiber over carbon fiber.

It's not as homogeneous as an unembellished sheet, but I guess as long as it's carbon fiber and carbon fiber it's a nitpick. Epoxies are strong enough that I'm sure it won't be an issue.

I think this could be right. I looked at mine just now and the scales do seem to be two layers of CF put together. The line between the two layer is very straight and difficult to see unless you look closely, maybe with a loupe. 91bravo 91bravo - if it is one solid block of CF, the line caused by applying peel ply cannot be so straight, I think.

Not sure about yours, but my pm2 scales are solid. Maybe its cross layered for strength purposes?
DCu0aQp.jpg

The line observed could be from the tool used to machine the chamfer around the edges of the scale.
It would work like a router bit and follow the finished edges of the scale.
Try gently sanding on the line and see if it disappears.

Regards,
FK

I confirm that it's solid carbon fiber. Because when you take the scales off, you can see the inside checker-board CF pattern.

If you decide to sand, wear a face mask please.

I confirm that it's solid carbon fiber. Because when you take the scales off, you can see the inside checker-board CF pattern.

Yep, same here. My PM2 thats wearing CF scales was a blurple S110V that I did a scale swap on. They are factory Spyderco scales and you can see the pattern on the i side as well. +1million on the facemask. And I highly recommend sanding i der running water along with the mask and some gloves. CF dust embedded in the skin is like fiberglass, and in the lungs is not something you want.

Yep, same here. My PM2 thats wearing CF scales was a blurple S110V that I did a scale swap on. They are factory Spyderco scales and you can see the pattern on the inside as well. +1million on the facemask. And I highly recommend sanding under running water along with the mask and some gloves. CF dust embedded in the skin is like fiberglass, and in the lungs is not something you want.

Last edited:

That can be easily seen without disassembly.

I will try and take a photo through my triplet if that will sate your disbelief. It's not even up for question anymore, even under 10x it's clear as day these are two different materials.

No. It's clear that they used two CF pieces and glued them together. I assume, since it is easier to cut out the liner room in one piece, and then glue a "cover" on top of that piece.

Now: "Carbon Fiber" by definition is Carbon-Fiber reinforced polymer, layers of carbon fiber glued with a plastic resin (Epoxy or something else) and then possibly baked. If they used the same resin to glue together the above two pieces (maybe even baked it?), it counts as "solid Carbon Fiber scale" in my book, even if you see the glue line. Until we know that they didn't do this, I will believe Spyderco's advertisement.

Roland.

Last edited:
No. It's clear that they used two CF pieces and glued them together. I assume, since it is easier to cut out the liner room in one piece, and then glue a "cover" on top of that piece.

Now: "Carbon Fiber" by definition is Carbon-Fiber reinforced polymer, layers of carbon fiber glued with a plastic resin (Epoxy or something else) and then possibly baked. If they used the same resin to glue together the above two pieces (maybe even baked it?), it counts as "solid Carbon Fiber scale" in my book, even if you see the glue line. Until we know that they didn't do this, I will believe Spyderco's advertisement.

Roland.
I'm no expert, so I just pose the question. Would the glue line not be different to the actual carbon fiber and glue mixture of a solid piece? Without having the fibres continue all the way through as one, does this not make it something other than solid technically speaking?

Edit- I just reread your comment. We're on the same page, I'm up to speed

In a composite it's all about resin to fiber ratio. You've got your traditional open layup, then wet bagging, infusing, and prepreg as the most common methods of layup, with optimum resin to fiber ratio following generally in that order.

I'd imagine they use epoxy resin, and not polyester or vinylester. An epoxy glue joint that is binding together two pieces of laminate will be very strong indeed. But both pieces are respective of their own fiber/resin matrices. In super over simplified terms think about it like carbon fiber layer/ glue layer carbon fiber/ glue layer making up one piece of laminate. When you glue two pieces of laminate together you get carbon fiber/ glue layer/ glue layer/ carbon fiber.

Structurally I'm not that worried, it's just an aesthetic problem when that glue line is visible as it is on mine. And like I said it's a sheerly aesthetic nitpick for me. I couldn't imagine what kind of trauma you would have to inflict to induce some sort of failure.

Even if it isn't one solid piece, the CF/G10 laminate that keeps getting brought up is much different. Very obviously a veneer. Not sure if this post is one piece or not, but it's definitely not the CF/G10 laminate (that come on Taichung spydies).

Anxiously waiting for Sal to drop in.

Back