• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

2 Verde Ranch Hunters available!!! (SOLD)

Hello knife people! This weekend I have a couple Verde Ranch Hunters available. One in CPM S45VN and the second is in Ultra Blue.

Knife # 1 Stainless Steel Verde Ranch Hunter

This is the first time I have used "Suretouch" for knife scales. Basically this stuff is G10 but has alternating layers of rubber. After the handle is shaped, the rubber provides a very positive purchase on the handle. It feels really cool, what I would definitely call "tacky" (the good sort of tacky), and I will be using more of it in the future. The steel is Crucible's relatively new S45VN, which has even better corrosion resistance than S35VN with similar edge retention and toughness. The heat treatment was done in a heat treat furnace, quenched with chilled plates and forced air, "cryo" quench completion, and triple tempers for a final hardness of ~62HRC. The blade features a full flat grind terminating in a thin edge for excellent cutting geometry and a satin hand rubbed finish. A custom kydex sheath is included.

OAL: 8 3/4"
Blade: 4 1/4"
Handle: 4 1/2" Black "Suretouch"
Thickness: 0.090"
Steel: CPM S45VN ~62HRC (with "cryo")
Edge: 12° per side, 6 micron
Price: SOLD

IMG_2149.jpg IMG_2152.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knife # 2 American Verde Ranch Hunter

I call this the American version of the Verde Ranch Hunter due to the red, white, and blue spacers in the handle. This steel in this knife is called "Ultra Blue" due to the fact that it is extremely similar to Hitachi Super Blue but with even more carbon and tungsten. The German DIN number is 1.2562 if you would like to check out the composition. It is also close to the old F2 tool steel. I think this is the highest wear resistant steel of any steel in the "low alloy" category, similar to D2 but with a much finer matrix and much harder carbides. The heat treatment on both of these knives was quite involved. For those that like to nerd out on heat treatment, here you go...
1900°F 30 minutes air cool (super high heat normalize)
1700°F 15 " " " (normalize)
1500°F 15 " " " (thermal cycle)
1500°F 10 " " " (thermal cycle)
1500°F 5 " " " (thermal cycle)
1460°F down to 1200°F at 500° per hour (DET anneal)
1475°F 10 minutes fast oil quench
-100°F sub zero quench
400°F 2 hours
-100°F sub zero quench
400°F 2 hours
400°F 2 hours

Final hardness is 65HRC. Hand polishing the blade felt like polishing glass! The steel is very hard and quite wear resistant. Edge retention is excellent. I started the sharpening process with a 400 grit ceramic stone and was getting no where.....slowly. I switched to a 400 grit diamond plate and that got the edge established. Then I switched back to the 400 ceramic, then 1000 ceramic, then Spyderco Fine Ceramic (~3000), then a few light strops on leather with green compound. It will easily take hair off your arm without even contacting the skin. Ultra Blue takes an amazing edge. You don't need diamonds to sharpen it. I just used diamonds to get an edge established efficiently, but you can use whatever stone you like to keep it maintained. You will need to watch for corrosion, as Ultra Blue is not stainless. Custom kydex sheath is included.

OAL: 8 3/4"
Blade: 4 1/4"
Handle: 4 1/2" Black/Gray G10 with red/white/blue spacers and lanyard tube
Thickness: 0.075"
Steel: Ultra Blue (1.2562) 65HRC
Edge: 12° per side, 6 micron
Price: SOLD

IMG_2127.jpg IMG_2128.jpg

Paypal preferred (samuraistuart@yahoo.com). This is also my email address in case you would like to contact me that way. Free shipping anywhere in the USA! All knives come with an unlimited life time warranty! I just ask that the buyer keep in mind that my knives are not the proverbial pry bar, and I use thin stock, thin grinds, and hard steel for excellent cutting ability and edge retention. If you have any questions, feel free to DM me or send an email! Thanks for taking a look and follow me on Instagram: stuartalandavenport

Last edited:
Back