20 years on Bladeforums

Not an entry for me, John. Just wanted to congratulate you on 20 years here. Also to say thank you for hosting this GAW!

Last, to thank you for your service. I also served in the USAF, but got out as an E-4, so I have much respect to you for serving until your retirement. My father also was USAF retired, and I had a great deal of respect and admiration for him for that.

Of course, I am not happy with you for torturing me every time you post pictures of all your amazing knives! (Okay, I am happy when you post those)

As for a good deed, here's one we're doing this year, and everyone can easily do. Do a reverse advent calendar. Each day in December, add a different item to a box...canned veggies, box stuffing, gift cards, box mac & cheese, etc. Around or before Christmas, drop off the box at a food pantry or similar location. Get the kids involved, they will have fun adding to the box each day, and learn about giving.

Glenn

Remarkable GAW Chief :thumbsup: As I'm not an American I can't comment on your military vocation but I certainly can comment on your outstanding service to the Forum :cool: Can't be many who have been on here and remained active from the onset, another 1 % benchmark actually:thumbsup: Fine taste in knives, elegant photographic skills and wit too, thanks :D

I've bought plenty from the Exchange, not sold any due to being outside the USA, but I really applaud your idea of keeping prices as sold on view. It's open, transparent and let's us know about current values and people can't flip it so brazenly, all good.

I don't qualify as I have a collection bigger than 50, although I'm not good at counting..is it 14 or 99 ?;)

As for good deeds, well today my GF took in a homeless cat from the rescue house, he spent last winter outside (no joke here..) but his new owners found he didn't get on with their cat. So, I paid the fee and a donation and 'Bosse' has a new home with somebody who has always had a cat. They both seem delighted :D

Good luck and good fortune to the eventual winner:thumbsup:

Regards, Will

Last edited:
Not an entry Chief, but thank you for your service and your contributions to the porch. As a retired Air Force MSgt, I know what it takes to make Chief and it's really an accomplishment. I'm not a collector and already have more knives than I need.

Aye Aye Chief.
Whilst I dont qualify for this most magnificent of giveaways (over 50 knives ..maybe one day I should count) I care very much for your guidelines.
30 years fire and rescue under my belt I now find my self in a new phase as a bus driver. I enjoy it ,it pays well and I get to choose the music....depending on the route and time of day or night you might hear anything from Rachmaninoff to Rockabilly Rebels , Mozart to Metal or my favourite ....Debussy to Doo Wop.
You will never hear inane commercial radio with those gibbering baboons.. in my bus.
I do a university shuttle run sometimes and several people have thanked me for the music as they alight happily at uni.
Sure it gets a bit repetitive but I know that I won't have to go to any stinking fires or rescue jobs anymore which suits me fine.
I drive like the Devil himself ...IF he had the appropriate NSW licenses.
So at about 22.00 hours the other night in the pouring rain I picked up a young female passenger...she told me she'd lost her opal card ( travel pass thing) needed to go into town. $2.80...and I issued her ticket.Of course she only had a dollar. I let her on of course even though the outstanding 1.80 was now on me. So what? She may have been lying to me but if I leave a young woman in the rain and drive off in an empty bus for the sake of 1.80....who am I?
She got there safe but paid my Satanic penalty....a 15 minute bus ride listening to Rattlesnake Daddy by Joe D Johnson and Mama by Johnny Scoggins with Earl Reeds Rhythm Rockers.
The devil drives
till the hearse arrives
and lay that pistol down.

Good Luck to all.
Cheers

Grand idea on having your own taste in music on the bus meako:thumbsup:

Maybe you'll get tempted to drive your own routes too when the regular one get's dull?:D The passengers might not see it that way mind :eek::D

Thanks for your service and dedication to reach the top! Congratulations on 20 years a member here as well. As others have said I look forward to your posts, always outstanding pictures of outstanding knives. I've not bought or sold on the exchange, but should I do so I see no reason not to leave the price listed. Unless the buyer asks for it I would honor that request, out of respect. But I would add "price removed upon request of buyer" I personally would have nothing to hide. My good deed may seem quite small I guess. I'm sure some of you have seen the cards on a store counter or beside the register of a restaurant, that you put quarters in for St.Jude. I like to fill them up. Also at the little store about 300 yards from my house they have a jar on the counter for their daughter. Called "Joanna's jar" its for saving money for her college education. I'll go in almost everyday for something, I always leave my change in the jar. Just small things. I also never sell or give away a knife gifted to me. Hard to explain,but the gift of a knife is almost a sacred thing to me. Besides how will I ever have a knife collection if I don't keep knives lol. My collection is small and eclectic, nothing by GEC yet, that ebony Barlow would be awesome! Thanks for the chance.

Thank you for your service! Not an entry, I have too many knives:) However, I leave my prices up and wish more people would do the same!
Off to do some good deeds:thumbsup:

Very neat give away Chief! other interests have taken over once more and I have been slowly changing my collection to core pieces that stretch all categories, and watches/coins so not an entry.

Congratulations John and thank you for your service. I enjoy your posts and photos (and collection!) and look forward to seeing you around for another 20 years :) :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Aside from that, I strongly gravitate towards altruism and those who embrace altruism...it is why I love the Porch so much and why I appreciate you and everyone else here who lives with that spirit.
As much as I want to, I can't enter because I am beyond blessed and wouldn't feel right taking this opportunity away from someone else. But I wanted to make sure you know how much I appreciate the nature of this GAW and the really great opportunity for someone to own one of those amazing knives. TC Barlows? Stag? Elk? Are you kidding me? This is beyond generous.
I have always wondered why folks removed the dollar amount after a sale and had assumed it was something that was supposed to happen. I never questioned it I just figured that was the deal. I'm really glad you bring that up because I am always frustrated trying to find historical prices. I haven't sold a ton of knives here but have definitely done it myself though and this makes me want to go back through my old posts and edit the amounts back in.

Good luck to everyone!

Very nice GAW John with some beautiful knives , of which I have 2 . This is not an entry because I currently have a few more than 50 . Congrats on reaching the 20 Year mark on Blade Forums . It has been my pleasure watching postings from you for only 4 of those years my friend . Good Luck to all who do enter your GAW .

Harry

Last edited:
Not my GAW, but want to say thanks for your service and admirable career, John!

When John learned about my son passing away from injuries suffered in Afghanistan last year, he reached out to me and sent me this beautiful 43 Oregon Trapper. It has become a treasured knife which always brings memories of the giver and of the reason for the gift.
John also sent this badge which he earned as a memento, which resides in one of my knife boxes.

So thanks again, sir! You are are good man.View attachment 1028960View attachment 1028959

This is not an entry, even though those are some gorgeous knives, because my luck tends to be too good when I do enter GAWs and while I might not have more than 50 knives, I really ain't hurting when it comes to having the knives I want.

But I do love participating, especially when it comes to creative GAWs.

I'll start with part 2: I really have never understood why people get rid of the price. I very rarely sell my knives, and I don't know that I have ever sold a traditional (I certainly have plenty pass through my hands, but there are always people who need a decent knife. And since most of my traditional knives have been gifts, it would feel dishonorable to sell a gift to me). That said, the few times I have sold through the forum I have left the price up. It just seems more fair to me.

Regarding the good deeds, I feel like I do plenty of good deeds, but this GAW made me think about it, and I have realized that I haven't been putting the "deed" in good deeds lately. It seems like I have had no shortage of friends that needed some help lately of the GoFundMe variety, and I have been making donations, but I haven't actually been making the actions lately. The last time I can think of a spontaneous good deed I did was in October when some friends and I spotted a fire smoldering in a guys garden and helped get it under control, warned the homeowner, and called the fire department. I did call 911 for a motorist who went off the road on the way home today, but that was a pretty minor deed.

I'll look for some good to do. Thank you for the reminder.

Back