20 years on Bladeforums

Congratulations on 20 years and thank you for holding such a generous give away. I feel like i meet your requirements, and I agree to your terms. 3. Knife A would be my pick.

I have a 6 year old daughter that makes me strive to be a better person every day. My wife and I were talking to her and asked what she wanted for Christmas. Her answer was that she wished everyone in the world would get a present, I can't tell you how proud that made us feel. Sometimes you doubt how you are raising your children but then a moment like that happens and you know you are doing something right. So with that being her wish we took her shopping for toys to donate to Toys for Tots. We let her pick out toys for boys and girls and not once did she ask for anything. My wife and I may not be able to get everyone a present but it feels great knowing that we helped some children have a Merry Christmas.

Thank You,
Marty

Last edited:
Chief, 20 years anywhere is a milestone, congratulations. 20ish years ago I didn’t own a computer and had to have a co-worker show me what the internet was. Got my first laptop for work and it sat in my car for six months because I thought “what good is this going to do me?” Times have changed, that’s for sure.

I’m not entering your GAW as I have been able to accumulate my fair share of knives I want. But I do like the criteria you set for it. Based on some of the generosity I’ve seen in this forum the last year I can’t help but imagine there are a lot of good deeds that occur on a daily basis from the members here that go unpublished. Kudos to all and a most excellent GAW:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is a super giveaway. Anyone would love to have any one of those. And it's been a looonnng time since I've won anything. So I should enter.

But I can't. Even though I am retired and not cash heavy, I have > 50. I keep my good deeds anonymous. So, I will have to pass.

Thank you for your service.

P.S. I agree with the OP about leaving the sale price, and not just for traditionals. BladeForums has many rules which must be obeyed. All the ruler needs to do is make one more.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your milestone anniversary!!! I’m in!!!! I choose knife B.
We regularly donate to St Jude’s and the Ronald McDonald House. My wife had a son from a previous relationship that suffered from numerous health issues before going home to be with Jesus. He spent a lot of time in the hospital and the Ronald McDonald House was very supportive during this time. I also agree to all of the terms stated. Thank you for your generosity.

Last edited:
John, thank you for your service and dedication to protecting the freedom we all enjoy here at home! Not an entry since I have far too many knives and have already been the lucky recipient of your efforts and time. Awesome giveaway from a fantastic member. Congratulations to John for his 20 years on Bladeforums and congrats to the lucky winner!

A rare entry for me. I like the rules you laid out! I can happily abide them.

Today I am volunteering again to read and score entry essays for a scholarship for highschoolers in financial need with excellent academic and community service records. Reading these essays is amazing and humbling because I was not as talented or giving as these inspiring young people. It’s so difficult to choose.

@theedge - On a related note, my daughter and her friend organized an effort to raise money for st. Jude. I agreed to match their donation this week and they exceeded my expectations! Very proud of them.

Chief Chief Thank you for your service and the thoughtful giveaway. Congratulations. I would like to enter for the #14.

All the best.

Last edited:
This is not an entry. Just wanted to say along with the others how great I think this give away is. I have the pleasure of some dealings with you and you definitely seem to go out of your way to be fair or generous. I wanted to thank you again. I for one will also go out and look for some extra opportunities to be generous. Truly the right time for this give away.

Thank you for your service Chief, and for your contributions to this forum. I have only been here a few years, but I always enjoy your posts.

I’m in! My major focus of good works is in local conservation efforts. In two weeks I’ll be joining the annual Christmas Bird Count here in town, which means hours of hiking on and off trail counting what we see.

I heartily agree with your condition 2! I would appreciate all sellers following it, and I plan to do so when I get around to putting a few knives on the Exchange. In the event I should win, I would love to have knife D, as I missed out on the Wall Street, and would never sell it!

Thanks again,
Dave

John, you’re a true man of honor! Thanks for your dedicated service to our country, and thank you for being such a respected member of our community. My utmost respect goes out to our military, past and present. I’ll be looking forward to watching your amazing GAW play out, as well as more of your spectacular knives being posted. Not an entry, just a heartfelt “Thank You” -Lance

Wow, what a wonderful GAW. I would be thrilled to have any one of the 4 GECs available. BUT, you made me stop and review my list of the pocket knives I own and I was shocked. I didn't realize I had so many that I can't participate in your GAW. Sincerely, I'm not complaining.

Nevertheless, I will be donating blood in December.

Brian

First class all the way John Chief Chief ! You were my very first knife mentor and I’m grateful for all your input and guidance in this crazy hobby of ours. Thank you for your service, generosity and participation in this very cool forum. I’m sure the winner of this knife will be well deserved.
Rob

Congratulations on 20 years! And THANK YOU for your service! Great GAW! Not an entry...

Joined Bladeforums 20 years ago while proudly serving on active duty in the USAF. Was a Chief Master Sergeant, the highest enlisted grade, E-9. Once promoted to Chief Master Sergeant, you were no longer referred to as "Sergeant", your official term of address became "Chief", or "Chief Master Sergeant". By law only 3 percent of the military is allowed to serve as E-8s and E-9s, with history showing the breakout is E-8s 2 percent and E-9s 1 percent. Being in the top 1 percent of your chosen profession is something to be proud of. At the time I was the Maintenance Superintendent of the 576th Flight Test Squadron, with 300 plus troops (50 plus Senior NCOs including two other Chiefs) responsible for test launching Peacekeeper and Minuteman III ICBMs from Vandenberg AFB, CA. Elected President of the Base Chief's Group. Choosing my nick was easy. There came a time when my family needed me more than the Air Force, so after 24 plus years in the ICBM business I retired and moved back close to where I grew up. Opened a knife business, "Chief's Cutlery", was a certified Microtech Dealer with a link on their web site. Sold lots of Microtechs but had a falling out with Tony M. and decided to quit the business. Had a second career with AT&T but now fully retired. Enough about me.

To celebrate 20 years on Bladeforums, am giving away some knives. To enter you have to 1. Do a good deed and post about it. The good deed should be done with this GAW in mind, or something recent, not from several months ago. Examples are giving blood, delivering Meals on Wheels, picking up trash for Adopt-A-Highway, giving a bag of groceries to folks who need help, donating to Toys for Tots, you get the idea.

To enter this GAW you must also agree to 2. In the future when you sell a traditional knife on Bladeforums you agree to leave leave the asking price posted. This will help establish a fair going rate to protect members from overpaying or underselling. If you can't agree to this, you have a hidden agenda and this is not your GAW. Let's make/keep the Traditional world a more friendly place.

If you are a flipper, meaning you buy knives from dealers with the sole intent of immediately selling them for profit, this is not your GAW.

If you own an extensive collection of knives, (further defined as plenty of cash to buy whatever you want so you probably have 50 plus knives) this is not your GAW.

If the only time you post is to enter GAWs, this is not your GAW.

If you are entering to resell, this is not your GAW.

To enter 1. state your good deed AND 2. you agree to leave pricing AND 3. select which knife you would like, A, B, C, or D. A is the ebony TC barlow on the left, B is the smooth white bone TC barlow on the right in the first pic. C is a two blade stag 14 in the second pic and D is the Elk 99 in the last pic. All are new in tube, shipping on me. Will let this run a week and use an online random generator to select the winners. Special shoutout to my favorite GEC dealer and Bladeforums sponsor @gunstockjack , Charlie @waynorth , and the folks at GEC. Let's go do some good deeds and good luck!

TCbarlow14pair-1.jpg

forsalestag14-1.jpg

forsaleElk99-1.jpg

I have been around this forum 15 years. Reading and learning a lot. Sometimes I tried to write tales and experiences from my part of the world. The thing I like the most is the kind of telling you did starting this give away.

I sometimes give funds for good reasons. This week I gave 200 SEK to the cause called Every girl. Its camps in Etiopia to protect from Female genetal mutilation. This sum helps one girl.

As for leeving the price I like the idée. I have never eather byed or sold anything here. As for knifes I seldon bye them, never sell them but once in a while gift one to a kid I know or good friend. This happends strictly swedish knifes.

Would I get my hands on a TC barlow I would treasure it but use it since I think that using is the best way to bound with an exelent tool. I have around 20 exilent slipjoints from case, schrade and EKA. I also have one TC barlow 15 spear from 2012, a Puma prospector I bought in the 80-ties and a 12 year old Queen stockman I bought for my 40 birthday as the crownjuvels.

If I get the luck to be drawn here I love the TC barlow with ebony.
Alternative A.

Bosse

Not an entry.
Congratulations on the 20 years at BF, Chief Chief ! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
Thanks for the VERY generous GAW with your well-planned rules for entering. (I've wondered and asked about the "tradition" of removing selling prices from the Exchange, but no one has ever explained how/why it originated.)

Best wishes to all the entrants, and I hope the GAW can help each of us internalize a desire to make good deeds a part of our daily routine! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Back