$200++ flippers from China

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you’re dead on and we may be near the top of that part of the market.
There are offerings from these chinese companies that arent flippers. Give me a size range and any other major preference and im sure i could find one that would blow your mind.

WE actually just branched out a bit with a kitchen knife, a traditional style folder, and a smaller thumb stud integral.

My favorite knife I bought for myself is a regular size BM presidio ultra, plain jane no coating or serration. I have a few as backups, like Mel Gibson in conspiracy theory when he sees catcher in the rye in a book shop, he is compelled to by it. Love the feel, shape, lightness and the hollow grind.

There are offerings from these chinese companies that arent flippers. Give me a size range and any other major preference and im sure i could find one that would blow your mind.

WE actually just branched out a bit with a kitchen knife, a traditional style folder, and a smaller thumb stud integral.
I have a fixed blade I like a lot, made by a fat man in gym shorts. Recon tanto USA made, carbon 5.

I got a bug up my rear over the weekend and sketched out a 4 in clip point. Do I buy balsa wood and carve it? Where to start?

As you probably can tell I’m not a flipper guy, just kind of gimmicky to me.

I have a fixed blade I like a lot, made by a fat man in gym shorts. Recon tanto USA made, carbon 5.

I got a bug up my rear over the weekend and sketched out a 4 in clip point. Do I buy balsa wood and carve it? Where to start?

As you probably can tell I’m not a flipper guy, just kind of gimmicky to me.
I can understand not liking them, but gimmicky isnt the word id use.
ZT is one of the most well known brands in the current day knife world, with tons of fantastic, US made, offerings. And almost all of their products are flippers.

Its just really hard to call an effective opening mechanism a gimmick. Popular, maybe even trendy, sure, but not a gimmick.

I’m a dinosaur I guess. Approaching gimmicky but falling a couple steps short of it?

I’ve seen Nick Shabazz whip out his zt0452 a lot and I’ve tried to talk myself into it but have not been able to.

I say this yet at the same time I’ve put my name in for Grimsmo’s makers choice, Norseman.

But you use a chinese made phone, chinese made tv, drive a car with chinese electronics and probably have a dozen other things that have the "Made In China" stamp on it. But hey, you gotta draw a line somewhere. ;)

Just teasing though, nothing wrong with supporting "Made in [Your Country]" whenever possible and sensible.

Well, a lot of consumer electronics are coming out of Korea, others out of Japan, India, and Taiwan. Specifically my phone was made in Korea and I do not have a television, but since my monitor is ASUS, that comes out of Taiwan.

Back to the topic of "high end" knives from China. There are too many high end knives not made in China that are better, and if they are made in the US it also means a much quicker turnaround for warranty work. Under $200 there are a lot of US made Spydercos and Benchmades that I would rather have and I know if anything breaks on it, they both have good customer service.

Back to the topic of "high end" knives from China. There are too many high end knives not made in China that are better, and if they are made in the US it also means a much quicker turnaround for warranty work. Under $200 there are a lot of US made Spydercos and Benchmades that I would rather have and I know if anything breaks on it, they both have good customer service.
Have you tried any? Because using a general statement like "Too many knives not made in china that are better", implies you havent. Because my WE knives are AT LEAST as nicely made as my ZTs.

As much as i like Benchmade and their warranty, their knives are always overpriced for what they are. You can get a lot of ZT or WE knives at similar prices to a lot of benchmades, but with better materials and much better quality control/fit and finish.

The same pricing issue can be said for Spyderco. Both my Shaman and Mini Crooked river are nearly 200 bucks each, yet still use S30V and G10. Theres always a bit of a price jump for certain brands.

Fortunately i dont think ive ever actually heard anything negative about a WE knife, such as breakage or quality issues, so warranty work would probably be unnecessary.

Kubey doesn’t make knives, they’re just a laser generated name on a knife-like-object made in a nameless shop. I doubt it’s really m390.

Don’t buy your knives from the River or the Bay, and if you want to test a Chinese Flipper, buy a legit brand. You can learn about them here. They’re not called Kubey.

Complaining about a no name knife company and then making broad judgments about a whole portion of the knife market?

You've clearly never handled a WE or even Kizer before. People really need to stop caring about where things are made, especially today
Ok, how about the manufacturers who support our knife rights, that costs money. That's just the tip of the iceberg of donations. Boy scouts, Shriners, Cancer foundations, just about any charitable event. Sponsored Hunts for disabled children.
There are side benefits for buying US product if you live here. I'm not saying a couple Chinese manufacturers don't build quality knives. I'm just supporting the knife companies that support me.

Ok, how about the manufacturers who support our knife rights, that costs money. That's just the tip of the iceberg of donations. Boy scouts, Shriners, Cancer foundations, just about any charitable event. Sponsored Hunts for disabled children.
There are side benefits for buying US product if you live here. I'm not saying a couple Chinese manufacturers don't build quality knives. I'm just supporting the knife companies that support me.
Or or or, you buy from multiple countries? If you really like a chinese knife that has no american equivalent, why not grab it? And vice versa.

Just not my thing, i support the ones who support me. Fair enough.

Calvin Klein undies? Slacks are gonna bend the clip? Are you sure this is the space for you?
I mean, you might not have been trying to but you are helping me make a point here. If the aesthetics of, what appear to me pretty common, the Chinese flippers (and I’m going out on a limb here generalizing) are such that these little tight titanium clips are mostly for looks then it would ... if I’m wearing office slacks and the pocket clip gets bent out by clothing THAT thin then you’re skunked with jeans. How many warriors deploy into the field with flippers? Hard use hunters? To me they are the quintessential urban nancy knife.

Last edited:
And here I was just thinking who spends $200+ on American made production knives that use 154CM and G10 handles with shoddy craftsmanship, or Japanese made with S30V and G10 for almost $200. Complaining about Chinese made knives over $200 that actually use premium materials like M390, titanium, and carbon fiber...what. I hope someone was attempting to take this years troll award.

But you use a chinese made phone, chinese made tv, drive a car with chinese electronics and probably have a dozen other things that have the "Made In China" stamp on it. But hey, you gotta draw a line somewhere. ;)

Just teasing though, nothing wrong with supporting "Made in [Your Country]" whenever possible and sensible.

My phone was made in Korea. My TVs were made in Mexico. My cars were made in Japan and Korea. I have no problem with products made in most Asian countries. There are a few countries whose products I'll almost always avoid.

Just not my thing, i support the ones who support me. Fair enough.

That's funny, and hypocritical. A lot of the people that "support you" made their money by selling or offering goods made by other countries, so someones money may have been earned by selling strictly Chinese goods, therefore your "support" was the product of Chinese efforts. In fact, you're allowed to be supported thanks to China. Unless you have a stand setup in the middle of town offering services, China is somehow impacting your daily business, be it communications, travel, tools, packing materials, the list never ends. The economy is global, not strictly our home land. The more people realize that, the better off we'd be. If you'd like a USA only driven economy, prepare to go back to the middle ages when we were trading and bartering for services since a lot of things would cost astronomical prices.

Chinese food (both Americanized and real) is great, Gong Li is hot, and China buys a ton of American stuff that helps make us rich. Also Reate is great.

I mean, you might not have been trying to but you are helping me make a point here. If the aesthetics of, what appear to me pretty common, the Chinese flippers (and I’m going out on a limb here generalizing) are such that these little tight titanium clips are mostly for looks then it would ... if I’m wearing office slacks and the pocket clip gets bent out by clothing THAT thin then you’re skunked with jeans. How many warriors deploy into the field with flippers? Hard use hunters? To me they are the quintessential urban nancy knife.

Oh look a manly knife and a Nancy knife! Glad you can educate us!

2a8fehl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back