$200++ flippers from China

Status
Not open for further replies.
China, on the other hand, is nothing but a peddler of cheap junk. Reverse-engineered for the lowest possible dollar and made by slave labor with non-existent QC
Opinions are fine. But outright false statements with no relevant experience to back them up? I do hope you're just trolling.

I don't know about that; it depends on the particular product lineup and the particular makers used. Spyderco started out with knives made overseas, in Seki, Japan. So did Kershaw and Al Mar, IIRC. They aren't cheapie products, and their Taichung, Taiwan lineup most certainly isn't cheapie. 'Overseas' (which people usually take to mean Asia) does not necessarily mean inferior products, and all the countries/locations overseas are unique and different from each other.

While I have little to no interest in buying knives from WE, Reate, Kizer, and other such product lines, it's a fact that factories in China can produce quality products, if they're motivated to do so.

Jim
I was only referring to the "economy" lines made in China by American companies.

Opinions are fine. But outright false statements with no relevant experience to back them up? I do hope you're just trolling.

I guess I'm just imagining all of the "fakes" of knives, optics, and parts that the internet is riddled with that are made in China. All those products on ebay, at gunshows, and in the rotating case at the gas station are totally legit and quality!

I guess I'm just imagining all of the "fakes" of knives, optics, and parts that the internet is riddled with that are made in China. All those products on ebay, at gunshows, and in the rotating case at the gas station are totally legit and quality!
I view those as straight up consumerism products. The fakes I view as one part of the "dirty pool" games that China plays with us.
North America has exploited the Asian labour market (with their blessing) for many years, to the point that companies cannot compete here unless they do the same. At the same time, China has been faking and stealing their way to the top for many years at our expense.

Personally, I'm sick of the game. I'll keep as much of my money out of Asia as I can.

I would rather buy a US made knife. I would even pay 10 - 15% more for a knife to buy the same knife, US made over foreign made.
Due to the low cost (probably subsidized) of production in China and the high cost of infrastructure, labor, insurance and taxes in the US, that does not happen very often.

This was not intended to be a troll, but I can see why that’s being mentioned. Btw we are at economic war with these ppl... they just announced yesterday a cut of half PLA ranks in order to repurpose those ppl to Air Force and Navy, the assumption being to project more force against us. We’ve been pretty dim the last few decades regarding their hostile government.

Stick with reate and we knives. A cut above the rest. Reate being on top.

This was not intended to be a troll, but I can see why that’s being mentioned. Btw we are at economic war with these ppl... they just announced yesterday a cut of half PLA ranks in order to repurpose those ppl to Air Force and Navy, the assumption being to project more force against us. We’ve been pretty dim the last few decades regarding their hostile government.
The mods here are sure to close this thread, if it gets political.

We is not a slave labor outlet nor is Reate ; ive seen on the We website parties they held for their employees among other things.And if your reading this on a tablet ,your phone,or laptop,especially apple, guess where its made?...

I don't know anything about Kubey, but these days there are a number of very high end Chinese manufacturers that are charging $200+ for their knives and are, by all accounts, very worth it.

I'm not up on the differences. I get the impression the good stuff from China is comparably priced to US stuff. In that case, why bother? If the good stuff from China is comparable in quality to US stuff, but noticeably less $, then I totally get why people may go that route. I'd like to check out some of the good stuff from China some time.

We is not a slave labor outlet nor is Reate ; ive seen on the We website parties they held for their employees among other things.And if your reading this on a tablet ,your phone,or laptop,especially apple, guess where its made?...

Huh, pictures of a party couldn't possibly have been staged, no sir. LOL

If the good stuff from China is comparable in quality to US stuff, but noticeably less $, then I totally get why people may go that route. I'd like to check out some of the good stuff from China some time.

Check out some of the stuff AG Russell has. Many of the AG branded knives are from China and are on par with anything made here.

I'm not up on the differences. I get the impression the good stuff from China is comparably priced to US stuff. In that case, why bother? If the good stuff from China is comparable in quality to US stuff, but noticeably less $, then I totally get why people may go that route. I'd like to check out some of the good stuff from China some time.

It mostly comes down to materials and design. If I came across two similar knives close to the same price, one made in China and the other in the US, I would obviously buy the US made one.

If you want to dip a toe, I would recommend picking up something from WEs CIVIVI line. They offer a very good bang for the buck in terms of materials, but maybe more importantly, they give you an idea of what WEs fit, finish and action are like. Price differences can vary pretty widely. There are a few Chinese companies that do integral titanium framelocks with M390 and bearing pivots for much less than any comparable US made knife.

I don't own any Chinese made knives and it's not because I have a hard stance on Chinese made knives. It's just because on the aesthetics side of things they generally make soulless slick CNC/milled/framelock/flipper type knives that show no evidence of a human being involved in the manufacture or assembly.

I stick to Emersons (customs, productions, Po'Boys), Wenger Blades, some custom makers. When I want super slick I go with Marfione/MT OTFs.

In the end I am a little tired of Chinese knife threads though. If you love them great, if you don't great.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsLQqlvgfqI/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=ejq13rfvlixm

No evidence of human involvement? There is your human involvement. If anything, humans are MORE involved because labor is cheaper so they can do such. Show me any American manufacturers that use hand rubbed blades, or hand ground blades, or hand ANYTHING for a reasonable price.

And you stick to junky emersons huh, good for you. Talk about soul less knives. Pretty sure I could make a knife out of playdoh that wouldn't have as many issues. And marfione? Are you seriously trolling us too? Someone known to copy designs and call them his own. He follows "Chinese practices" more than most Chinese brands.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsLQqlvgfqI/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=ejq13rfvlixm

No evidence of human involvement? There is your human involvement. If anything, humans are MORE involved because labor is cheaper so they can do such. Show me any American manufacturers that use hand rubbed blades, or hand ground blades, or hand ANYTHING for a reasonable price.

And you stick to junky emersons huh, good for you. Talk about soul less knives. Pretty sure I could make a knife out of playdoh that wouldn't have as many issues. And marfione? Are you seriously trolling us too? Someone known to copy designs and call them his own. He follows "Chinese practices" more than most Chinese brands.

Wow, you sure seem to feel that someone not liking Chinese knives is somehow a personal attack on you. Why is that?

I’m not sure I’m characterizing them as bad, just not what I would spend that kind of money on. It seems like at those levels they have overcome any perceived disadvantage and then some.

* Have not handled those and won’t. I’m not a flipper guy. I was sorely disappointed with the BM vector too for a couple reasons: ponderously slow assisted action and junk axis action on my particular one. It was real purty though.

There are plenty of great non-flipper knives out of China as well.

Just not my thing, i support the ones who support me. Fair enough.

In what universe does a domestic brand 'support' you, if you don't work for them and don't own any stock in the company?

It's absurd to treat any old nerdjerker from the U.S. as an inherently good guy with honest intentions, when that is obviously not the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back