2004 Midwes Khuk Khonvention sign up thread...

OOOooooo....
I can say that I'd be interested in a Penknife blem ;)...
We're both hoping there'll be Biltons in that Big 'Ol Box too...
(not the fancy kothimoda types, but everyday workers...)
Anything else would be impulse buys :D :D

Back now guys and the 3rd is also a go for me.

I have 3 places in mind right off the top of my head but before I set one of those up, tell me what you think of this: My house would do fine for the numbers we are talking about. I have room in the yard for choppin', electricity for tools, a double garage as an emergency backup space (NO, you can't try your new convex edge on either the house or my Harley!), a comfy living room with large screen TV and finger food for the significant others, a nice view of the pond and convenient dining facilities (my kitchen and table). Camping in the backyard is not a problem and hotels and shopping are nearby if that's what you prefer. Best part, it's free and no one can say squat about what we do here.

I also have a couple of newbies that might come over for it all as well.

What are your thoughts on just having it at my place? Please respond freely, no harm, no foul!

OK by me Ray...Your hospitality is appreciated (I hope you've checked w/ the Boss 1st ;) ).
As for a fetching of the Khuks competition (after being thrown in the pond)...don't even think about it :p

One of my concerns is the view from the public eye in a public
place of us wacko's weilding 12"-20+" blades :D :D
My bro-in-law & I will go along w/ whatever everyone agrees w/, whatever it turns out to be.
BTW, this still doesn't get you 1st dibs on the BBB (Big Box of Blems):D

Glad to see you back!

LOL...SHMBO isn't home right now...I can offer anything I want to as long as it doesn't include dancing girls! :eek:

I was thinking the same about the public eye...my neighbors *already* know that I am nuts and my friends are kooks! :p

As for the Blem box, I was thinking that we could *perhaps* auction some off...the cost to cover goes to Uncle Bill, while anything over that goes to Uncle's charities. Thoughts on that would also be appreciated!

I've gots an idea guys...
...my neighbors *already* know that I am nuts and my friends are kooks!
If that's the case, I say whomever can cut the most trees down in
the neighbors yard gets 1st dibs on the box...
:D :D :D :p

...I can offer anything I want to as long as it doesn't include dancing girls!

uhhhhghhh....
I don't think I want to go now...:D :D

Sounds fine to me. I can bring some homemade cheese and maybe some homebrews. Of course some wood to chop.

Hey, does anybody who is going have a Swamp Rat Camp Tramp like Wildmanh has? If they do and could bring it I'd appreciate it. I have been thinking about buying one but would love to handle one first. I'll try to bring a few of my choppers and other knives. Always nice to see the things in person.

Originally posted by hollowdweller

Hey, does anybody who is going have a Swamp Rat Camp Tramp like Wildmanh has? If they do and could bring it I'd appreciate it. I have been thinking about buying one but would love to handle one first. I'll try to bring a few of my choppers and other knives. Always nice to see the things in person. [/B]

Alas, HD, I have no Camp Tramp, but I have several other "choppers" that I acquired before I discovered the error of my ways and was converted [:) ] to Khukurism: Gerber BMF; Ferhman First Strike; a Rimpler bowie; Becker Brute (approaching "kukri-shaped object"), CS Trail Master bowie; Simonich Raven (really too light to be a "chopper"). I'll show mine if you'll show yours. :D

I'm tempted. This sounds like one of those once-in-a-lifetime kinda experiences.
I mostly to do handles now, but I've been workin' on blades for quite a while. I'd love to meet you folks of the cantina. I'd bring a case of Chicago's Goose Island Ale -- or two...
Hmmm..
Brian

Originally posted by John Satchell
Sorry, I can't come to this one. Maybe next time. Too much stuff going on during that time frame.

John, in NORTH DAKOTA, wow, thanks for even considering.

BBB = Big Box of Blems

I like it!

I want to do what you guys want....but frankly, I'm not too comfy with the auction idea. These blems are going to be screamers and there won't be time enough to wait for an auctioneer!! People are going to be cutting each others' hands yankin' 'em outta the boxes!! :eek:

Let me just add a little fuel to the fire and say there will be a few shockers and surprises in there as well...:D

Re: newbies

Newbies are Very Much Welcome to attend!

Maybe there are a few lurkers out there who are teetering on whether or not to go...

Where else are you going to be able to handle the HI khukuri before you buy it?

And then get it sharpened, etched, polished, whatever...for free?!?

Add to that the food, the entertainment, the people....we'll be having a Cantina right in Nasty's living room!

Thanks for the offer, btw. I'm all for it. Just gotta make sure you have plenty of outlets available, a place that can get dusty/messy/stinky/noisy/etc. and who cares what the neighbors think...it's just for one day...:D

So far, this is what I have for suggestions for the BBB:

Pen Knife
Bilton
18" GRS
Villagers (any size)
18" WWII
25" Kobra
12" AK
18th Century (not sure about this - infrequent model)

Plus a fancy M43 - wood or horn?

Originally posted by pendentive
BBB = Big Box of Blems

I like it!

Where else are you going to be able to handle the HI khukuri before you buy it?

And then get it sharpened, etched, polished, whatever...for free?!?

Add to that the food, the entertainment, the people....we'll be having a Cantina right in Nasty's living room!

Thanks for the offer, btw. I'm all for it. Just gotta make sure you have plenty of outlets available, a place that can get dusty/messy/stinky/noisy/etc. and who cares what the neighbors think...it's just for one day...:D

All good points. I never have to worry about the neighbors here. There are none within sight of my house.:D Are your neighbors relatively friendly Nasty?

Gotta find a way to get there! (as in get out of work!)

Sounds like too good a time to miss!

Re: Food

Ray - can you put together a food cost for an all-day's-worth of food, snacks & drinks and divide it by 10? That'll give us a rough estimate of what to expect cost-wise. I figure the M43 will be $15 each for the raffle.

I'm thinking we should start early (by 9 at the latest) and carry on until dark. SWMBO will probably never forgive Ray, but it might be worth it anyway...:D That will give us around 10 hours (2 hours for meals, aside). I think we ought to be able to get a fair amount of horsing around done in 10 hours, eh?

Grinding, workshops, etc. in the morning...

Collection sharing, raffle, BBB in the afternoon...

Then the evening can be filled with BS of all flavors...:eek:

Turn some folks loose on the grinding equipment and see what happens....:D

Semp - you know you wanna....:D

Tell 'em you're going to be going "under the knife" that day....just don't tell 'em how far away and what kind of knife(khuk)! :D

Shall we tell Uncle Bill to send 15 or so Kagas Katne's
to use as the official Khonvention dinnerware?? :D :D

Looks like I better plan on staying Sat night too...:eek:

Back