2008 Knifemakers Christmas Gift Exchange! (2nd Annual)

I don't know who is going to do the name picking for next year, but as soon as I do the bribes are going to start. I want one of those. :)

Heck i'd settle for just hte tripple barrel battle axe <3 black powder guns. no need for grenade launcher or laser sites here =D

That said, yeah mine's going to be a little late, got the guard soldered on, but cleanup on the solder job is going to take a little longer than i thought, because i accidentally put a #@%#%@ ~60 grit scratch on the face of the guard that somehow i missed before soldering it, so now i gota get it out >_< Should be epoxying it all together tonight, and etching my name / logo on it, but that means with time for the epoxy to cure and whatnot, that it probably wont get out till monday morning's mail at the earliest.

Going out later today. Not perfect by any means, but should work for it's intended purpose of woodsbumming just fine. Besides at this point, any more work is liable to make it worse.;)

Blade is O-1 @ 59, handle is burlap and canvas, pins are titanium. Sheath is basalt fiber with kevlar lining. I'm interested in what my new friend and guinea pig think of it.:D

Here are some teases:

xmas2.jpg

xmas3.jpg

xmas1.jpg

Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year

Thanks to everyone for comments. It's a forged 5160 blade with mustard dots left overnight finished with ren wax. Handles bocote with copper hardware.

If you make it a quad barrel and just leave it at a .65 bore, it'll be fine. Who needs a grenade launcher when you have a battle axe with 4 barrels of shot!?!?!?

I'm doing the sheath on mine. MIGHT make it in time. maybe. if the post office loves me.

I sent out mine yesterday-I hope it makes it there in time!
Also-I had a knife-sized package waiting for me when I got home from work today-WooHooo!!!

I might be getting anxious... ok so alot ANXIOUS to get it! So this is going to be akin to opening presents on 12/24 instead of 12/25. But if the maker is not going to have it to the person by 12/25 should they warn their giftee to not expect it until after, (Maybe by personal email?) or just keep mum? I know it would ruin the surprise of who made it, but maybe that could be part of the gift, if it's going to be late. The knowledge of WHO's making it., might tide over the person till it comes in?

Jason

My Fed-Ex dilema yesterday was a false alarm, not the knife. So, I too would love to know whether or not to expect it before Christmas....very anxious:D

I might be getting anxious... ok so alot ANXIOUS to get it! So this is going to be akin to opening presents on 12/24 instead of 12/25. But if the maker is not going to have it to the person by 12/25 should they warn their giftee to not expect it until after, (Maybe by personal email?) or just keep mum? I know it would ruin the surprise of who made it, but maybe that could be part of the gift, if it's going to be late. The knowledge of WHO's making it., might tide over the person till it comes in?

Jason

Mine shipped this morning. Should be there on Mon or Tues. I still check the mailbox anxiously every day.

-Mike

You guys rock :thumbup: . Although I'm not in the exchange event I look forward who made what for whom pretty excitedly...
Scott can I join for next years event (I'm too far from you all though, notice my country)????

I been getting anxious as well. I cant remember watching for the mail carrier this often since i was a kid. LOL

Jason

You guys rock :thumbup: . Although I'm not in the exchange event I look forward who made what for whom pretty excitedly...
Scott can I join for next years event (I'm too far from you all though, notice my country)????
There is no such thing as too far! We've had makers from Estonia, Italy, Canada and the Netherlands in this over the last two years. I might be missing a country also. Just keep checking this forum in August 2009. That is when I have a one month open sign up period.

A day late & a doller short here [as usual :(], but trying to get finished up. I'm just too darn pickey about what leaves! If it's not going to make it in time, I plan to send an email.

Jason

I've been thinking about this also. I'm going to start a "Sorry, my Christmas knife is going to be late" thread on Tuesday, December 23rd. Those that are making a knife that isn't going to make it, can post to it with the name of the recipient of the knife, so that they'll know about when to expect it.

I wanted to wait until then to keep the suspense up over the pre-holiday weekend, because the going to the mailbox exercise is a huge part of the fun!!

I have not recieved mine yet and there is a path being worn to the mail box, I already wore out one pair of shoes! This is the first Christmas I have felt like a little kid in many many years.

Mine is about done, and it would have gone out tomorrow, to the East, had it not been for a miscalculated maneuver with epoxy... I think it might get there late but still in time for Obama's rise to power, which is the real reason for the season...

Last edited:
I got mine! I got mine! I got mine! and.........there was a very unique surprise about it. However, I'll have to wait and post the surprise part for all of you later. I was laughing and giggling all the way back from the mailbox.

I got mine! I got mine! I got mine! and.........there was a very unique surprise about it. However, I'll have to wait and post the surprise part for all of you later. I was laughing and giggling all the way back from the mailbox.

Aha, I suspected something was up :D If I'm right Linda you are awesome, if im wrong your still pretty decent.

Last edited:
Back