2008 Knifemakers Christmas Gift Exchange! (2nd Annual)

Here is a teaser pic. It is on its way but I am not sure it will get there in time.

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Wow!!! That integral is awesome!!

I'm trying like a nut to get mine ready tonight (at work), to be shipped out in the morning.
All the work I've seen so far is just driving me to make a better knife. Amazing level of talent around here,Beautiful Stuff!!!

Nathan

Mine went out today heading west. It went out via priority mail so it should be on time. Here are a couple of quick shots. I hope my recipient likes it. It is my Trail Guide model made from 1/8" 1095 full tang full taper grind. The bolsters and pommels are Gabon Ebony, and the center of the handle is Blood wood. Four 1/8" brass pins and 1/4" Mosaic pins from Premium Knife supply in the center. It is hand sanded and buffed. The blade is hand rubbed to 800 grit. Doug

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2178.jpg
    IMG_2178.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_2179.jpg
    IMG_2179.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_2180.jpg
    IMG_2180.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_2181.jpg
    IMG_2181.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 433
Hey all Sorry I haven't answered any posts lately, I had some technical difficulty's that led me to have to re-register. Anyway I got mine today! I couldnt wait 5 more days so I opened it! It came from Paul D Smith of Possum Knife Works in Union Ky. It is Stunning! the craftsmanship is Absolutely OUTSTANDING! I am in awe over it and feel humbled that I recieved such a fine piece. I love the companion design. here's some pics. (sorry about the quality there cell phone pics.)
n625615241_1763856_9662.jpg

n625615241_1763857_9938.jpg

Jason

Well my first try at sheath making was... interesting...

I would probably hold the knife if I finished it but I wouldn't want to be seen wearing it and it wouldn't be done in time.

So I do a little final cleanup on the knife tomorrow and send it off by express mail Monday. We'll see whether the Post Office believes that it can get there in time.

I can see more sheath making practice and couple more leather tools in my future...

Jason,

Thanks for the kind comments! I hope the knife serves you well and holds a keen edge for you. Merry Christmas!

what is that handle material it looks cool
Sorry I didn't put any info about it. The handle material is stabilized Cherry Burl. The stabilizing was done by WSSI. The blade steel is 5160H with a full flat grind. The mosaic pins are made by me (my first try at it). This blade went out to California.

So if I understand correctly Scott then who ever you are making a knife for is the same person who is making a knife for you. Is that correct?

So if I understand correctly Scott then who ever you are making a knife for is the same person who is making a knife for you. Is that correct?

Not necessarily. We had 81 partipants. For 78 of them your statement is true. For three of them it isn't true.

heres what I made. its got an Alabama Damascus blade and custom canvas Micarta I ordered. I wanted to try larger pins so this baby is put together 1/2" aluminum pins. I the sheath is tooled 9oz leather, and on this knife I made a kydex sheath then used contact cement to put the leather over it. So this sheath is completely rigid, you could beat the crap out of it and it won't deform.

My knife went to Michael Morris, who lives just a few hours from me so I delivered my knife in person. Mr. Morris also had me so we did a knife swap, and I had the pleasure of hanging around for a day and learning a ton of stuff. I can't say enough good things about Mr. Morris, I had an awesome day yesterday.

The knife I got from Mr. Morris was an awesome combat knife that should server me well in the Navy, he also gave me a bonus neck knife which I have been wearing since I left his house.

CopyofP1010292.jpg

-Josiah

WAIT A MINUTE. If WHICH name starts with A through E???? First or last?

I was wondering too, but he did not say he listed the them alphbetical. He said he gave his wife the computer list of people. So I am not sure how they are listed. So all I can do is figure that the person I have is the person that has me, since there are only three that did not just swap names. The person I have does not seem to have been around here lately since I have not seem him post anything.

I was wondering too, but he did not say he listed the them alphbetical. He said he gave his wife the computer list of people. So I am not sure how they are listed. So all I can do is figure that the person I have is the person that has me, since there are only three that did not just swap names. The person I have does not seem to have been around here lately since I have not seem him post anything.

The list I gave my wife was alphabetical by last name.

Back