2010 Scagel knife as bushcrafter blade

kgd

This week I received one of the 2010 Scagel knives, the drop-point style medium bowie from KSF.

Derrick and Wendy Bohn recently acquired the Scagel name and have had a few models, including two slipjoints and a fixed blade bowie knife, developed for them based on the classic Scagel style. The bowies were manufactured by Bark River Knife and Tool and come in 2 models, a more classic bowie with a long clip and slight swedge and a drop point (pictured below and the one I received).

DSC_0003-1.jpg

The specs are as follows:

Overall Length: 10.125"
Blade Length: 5.5 Inches
Blade Steel: A-2 @ 58rc
Blade Thickness: .217 Inch
Weight: 7.5 oz
Grind: Full convex
Handle: Stacked leather with red, black, white spacers and aluminum pommel and guard

This style of knife is not normally the kind I tend to procure. Most of my knives are full tang and lacking a guard. However, sometimes its good to try some 'out-of-the-box' style thinking and get a feel for something different.

The sheath that comes with the knife is very beautiful with a lot of stylistic touches. One of the things I'm not usually fond of is having a strap retention system as this one does on the sheath because you have to be careful not to cut the strap when withdrawing the knife. This one comes with a unique solution that I probably wouldn't have believed worked had I not kept trying it out. As can be seen in the first photo, the snap part is actually leaf shaped and the leaf edge catches the guard of the knife when you remove it, pushing it back and under the blade. This is very cool. I tried removing the knife several ways and the strap was always out of the way when removing the knife. You still have to take a bit of care re-sheathing the knife but that is less of an issue and I think this little technical solution is really cool. The knife is well retained by the sheath and the two of them look great. The snap on the rentention strap has 'Scagel' written on it. A nice touch!

DSC_0008.jpg

As received condition. I couldn't find any flaws with the knife manufacture as received. The guard is fitted nicely to the blade with little visible gap. The sculped pommel and guard have no scratches or marks. The knife was hair shaving and push cutting sharp. However, I did find a small flat spot (about 1/16" in length) that might have been a slight roll as it reflected light about midway into the blade and this spot did catch on paper when cutting at that point. I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't catch this, but it was something that showed up when I inspected the edge carefully under sunlight. The roll didn't come out on a strop, so I worked the entire edge on sandpaper-mousepad, starting with 800 grit and moving to 1000, 2000 and then the strop. It took very little time (5 min) to remove the flat spot on 800 grit so I suspect it was just a slight roll made after the knife was made and probably a minor little fluke. After sharpening the edge, I had a mirror polished bevel that went from hair shaving to hair wiping sharpness. I'm very impressed with the edge this thing took and given the aggressiveness of the convex grind, I think I have to eat some of my earlier words where I was critiquing thick-spined knives!

Since this knife, like all my knives, is expected to be a user, I took it out for a day hike and to try it out on some bushy type stuff. So, off to the prairie with Beta (my dog) I went!

DSC_0005.jpg

First, I found myself a nice piece of cottonwood with the intent to shape it into a bowdrill kit. Even though I wasn't intending on doing a bowdrill today, I find that working up a kit forces you to do all the things a good bushy knife should do. Here is the piece I found and extracted (I used my SAK saw to cut it).

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

A couple of shots of the knife in hand. The handle is a touch thicker than I usually like but it really feels great. Here is where a hidden tang really comes into fruition in terms of being able to shape a handle with great ergos. The leather is also very warm to touch. Despite the cold, it felt great in my bare hands.

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

On the top section, the handle is rounded and smooth in shape. On the bottom, there is a slight center hump for purchase.

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

A close-up of the classic Scagel logo. Good looking stamp!

DSC_0013.jpg

Okay, back to some bushy chores. Gotta do a bit of batoning. While this is a hidden tang blade, the thick spine left me with few worries and the fact that the tang reaches to the back of the handle and is screwed in place by the lanyard ring. Here, the length (5.5") makes working through wrist sized pieces effortless.

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

As I wasn't intending to do a bowdrill today, I still decided to shape a spindle and notch the hearth to just get a feel for the behavior of the blade. The knife did a great job and was effortless at carving away the soft cottonwood to shape the spindle.

To my delight, the knife was also excellent at producing a notch. On this chore, I have to say that the blade behaved more like a small knife then a mid-sized knife. I usually have a hard time with the notch on a 6" knife, but this one offered a lot of detail control. It required me to place my thumb on the spine over top the slight lip of the guard. I was at first worried that this would be uncomfortable (I hate thumb ramps for example), but on using it this way it just felt natural and unconstrained.

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

Just for the heck of it, I also decided to drill a hole through the hearth using the tip of the knife. This worked fine even though the tip is a bit delicate on this blade. Its a real sharp tip, but held up really fine to some direct drilling.

DSC_0025.jpg

A little bit of fuzzy making. The edge was very good at this, but here the guard was a bit in the way. The guard allows you to make full power strokes with comfort and security and this is how I was shaping the spindle. However, on making fine fuzzies, the guard does constrain your grip a bit. Here, I put both thumbs on the spine to establish good control of the knife with very light pressure to make fluffy fuzzies.

DSC_0027.jpg

Recognizing the above activities were on cottonwood which is pretty soft, I then went and found a piece of oak to work on.

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

Again, I was easily able to make decent fuzzies on the split oak.

DSC_0035.jpg

Using the spine of the knife, I was also able to scrape my Going Gear firesteel and get those larger fuzzies to take some flame. While, I did get the knife to spark the steel and managed to get a flame, it wasn't the most comfortable. Although the spine is nice and squared, this knife is a bit too long for scraping a firesteel and again the guard tends to get in the way in terms of controlling the spine edge during scraping. Then again, I do tend to prefer using a dedicated scraper rather than my knife spine with a firesteel. However, it is good to know that spine on this one works.

DSC_0036.jpg

I then decided to spend some extra time creating shavings. I shaved down most of the split half of oak and captured those shavings into my hat. This took a good 10-12 minutes of shaving. Again, the edge did excellent at creating shavings. I will admit to a bit of hand fatigue at this more intensive activity as a result of the wider handle than I'm accustomed to. However, I'm one of those guys who tends towards thinner handled knives and most people would find this one more comfortable. Still, this was a minor concern given the continuous effort I put into making shavings. The handle itself is so smooth that I did not feel any hotspots and produce any blisters.

DSC_0042.jpg

Using the other piece of oak, I used the edge perpendicular to the stick to make scrapings. Then sparked it to flame with the spine of the knife/firesteel and fed the shavings to create a little hand warming fire.

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

For those of you who like comparison shots, here is the Scagel bowie with a bunch of other knives arranged by size: Marchand S-Curve, Breeden Peacemaker, Scagel Medium Bowie, ESEE-4, ESEE-3, Culberson EDC.

DSC_0059.jpg

Here is a profile shot comparing the handle width and spine thickness of the Breeden peacemaker (0.125" thick), Scagel (0.217" thick) and ESEE-4 (0.188" thick).

DSC_0064.jpg

Parting comments. This is a nice little-big knife. At 5.5" blade length it is long enough to process wrist sized wood with ease yet at the same time its length does not seem to handi-cap it on fine detail chores like making notches in wood. Partly this is due to the fact that the blade height isn't excessive which lends to its good maneuverability.

I love that the blade has a near continuous belly which really helps in slicing chores. Despite its thick spine, the convex grind is very aggressive producing a very acute and sharp point. The bottom guard got in the way on a few of the fine chores like making thin fuzzies but wasn't as obtrusive as I feared it would be. The top of the guard does protrude a little bit higher than the spine, but this lip is shallow enough that you can easily place your thumb over it and onto the spine to aid in detail work. That fat spine is also very comfortable on the thumb.

As for a hidden tang, I really don't have any misgivings about using this one. I've worked my mora's very hard and this blade is a going to be a heck of a lot more robust than a mora. Given the thickness of the spine (presumably the tang is also 0.217" thick) and fact that it is a full through tang fixed to the pommel with the screwed in lanyard ring, it should make for a very strong design. I won't pry with it mainly because the tip is more delicate on this blade nor will I baton wood bigger than wrist size, but that isn't much of a restriction when it comes to bushy-type chores. The knife felt completely solid when I was batoning through the oak piece.

The handle is very comfortable in both forward and reverse grip. The stacked leather handle is warm to the touch. I do wish it were slightly thinner as its width does contribute a bit of hand fatigue after prolonged use but this is a personal issue and one that probably won't affect many other folks.

Overall, I have to rate this knife as very good to excellent. Its a unique size and good all-round blade that looks gorgeous, feels great and comes with an amazing sheath. This one is a keeper!

Great review Ken. I saw those Scagels on their site, and have been wondering about them. They look great, and seem to perform well.

I think I can speak for all of us when I say you sure know how to do an EXCELLENT review...

Great Photos and write up!!!

Always look forward to your posts

Sincerely

Dr.Bill

Great review, Ken. I look at scagels every time I visit KSF. Seems like a great mid-size blade.

Yo Ken, :D ...looks like you and me see eye to eye on this one. ;)

A Friggin' Savage all-arouner. :thumbup: :cool: :thumbup:

Big Mike

It really is a pretty knife and looks functional, which is equally as important.

Yo Ken, :D ...looks like you and me see eye to eye on this one. ;)

I caught your review elsewhere BigMike. Yes, I think we agree on this one. Of course, for you, this is an EDC-size and for me its an almost mid-sized blade :D :D

I love the blade shape on that one.:thumbup:

Nice work, Ken.:thumbup::thumbup:

Good review Ken...it was just too hot for me to get out and do much today down here in GA:D I really like that design...it really doesn't look big enough to have a 5.5" blade!

ROCK6

Thanks for posting! Nice to see more of this functional beauty!

DSC_0059.jpg

An enviable collection there too!

That's a great review and a very fine looking knife. I've always preferred hidden tang blades for the most part, and the classic looks of a leather handle are hard to beat.

Great review! I'm long overdue for a knife with a stacked leather handle. This one is definitely on the short list. Thanks for taking the time to share with us!

Following up with a 3 month check-up on the scagel hunter above. (Moderators, please feel free to move this thread over to the Outdoor Gear Section where it belongs; the original thread precedes the creation of the subforum)

The knife has now lost its `new knife glam` and I can look at it a bit more objectively. I have used this one quite a bit this winter including a tarp-camping overnighter with RangerJoe, made a pile of bowdrill kits, used it for carving wood and an all round belt blade.

There is a good demo of RangerJoe using this knife to notch a hearth with the blade in this video. Fast forward to time point 10:20 minutes for a close-up of the knife in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWg-WcQOSmA

So some updated impressions.

My biggest concern initially with this knife was that I felt the handle was too wide. This turned out to be not a problem and I have really grown to love this handle. It works great in the hammer and reverse grip. The guard does poke (but not excessively so) in the chicken dance grip (aka chest lever cut) but I don`t find myself using that one much unless I`m at a wedding reception and that stupid poka music comes on.

The guard also worried me a bit, but I can honestly say that I do not notice it at all when I`m actually using the knife save for cutting on a kitchen block. The top part of the guard is small enough that you can reach over it with your thumb and place it on the spine without any discomfort or even any thought to the action. It is also very comfortable to grab the blade, spine toward your palm, and scallop or scrape with the edge. The guard actually helps here as I tend to rest my ring finger against the flat of the guard when doing so and this gives me better purchase on the blade itself.

As my initial review indicated, this blade slices like a mean machine and 3mo of use hasn`t changed that. Despite its thick spine, it has a very aggressive convex taper leading to a zero edge. You can power slice thick slabs of wood or fine control fuzzies. The long sweep and belly begins about an inch and a half from the base of the blade and I have found that slicing and cutting chores are always enhanced when performed against the curvature of the belly. So having a lot of belly like this knife does is a big plus. It is okay in the kitchen. Actually the knife performs superbly on peeling potatoes and slicing squishy tomatoes, but the okay rating is given because the bottom guard does interfere with cutting on the block. I`ve batonned it several times and have little or no reservations using the knife in this capacity. Its 5 inch blade is a great length for wood splitting to satisfy campfire needs especially when paired with a folding saw. The point is very sharp and functional whether it be for drilling or piercing hide or leather.

My only annoyance with the knife in usage has been the sheath. It is drop dead gorgeous and functions very well at knife retention. However, I`ve gotten to really dislike the retention strap. To Sharpshooter`s credit, the strap is made in such a way that the guard pushes it out of the way when withdrawing the knife. So you don`t have to worry about it when taking the knife out of the sheath. However, the strap is always in the way when trying to resheath the knife. For safety sake and to keep from losing my knife, I very consciously try to resheath my knife the second that I`m done using it even when just switching between cuts. I do this instead of placing the knife on the ground and then picking it up again. It is these times when I`m only for a second or two putting my knife away to grab it again that the strap trips me up, because I have to lift it out of the way with my other hand to place the knife in the sheath. The system actually encourages you to place the knife on the ground instead. I much, much prefer a pouch sheath, but I also understand a pouch sheath won`t really work with a guarded knife. Perhaps having a retention strap up higher near the pommel would be better as I could resheath without having to fiddle with the strap when I`m temporarily resheathing the knife. Anyhow, my long rant about the sheath has nothing to do with the quality of it and its intended function which it meets and surpasses. It is just the convenience of it and how I use a knife. The belt loop is a bit tight on my web belt but I can string the knife on there. It works great with a standard belt.

I`ve got little black patina spots and had to deal with some corrosion issues on the blade from all the wet snow winter camping I`ve done but the A2 is truly more resistant to tarnish than O1 and 1095 that I more often use. It tunes up very nicely on the strop. I like to put a micro-bevel on it with my sharpaker, just 6 light strokes per side at the 20 degree angle, just to get that crisp edge to it. This is my first long term use of a knife in A2 and my impressions are very favorable. I really can`t say it performs much different than O1 other than the corrosion factor, but it does behave in a way that is familiar to me in terms of edge retention and ease of sharpening. So if you like 1095 and O1 you will like A2. I have noticed that the stacked leather does dry out during wet and drying sessions related to winter camping and found that applying beeswax-based boot treatment to the handle brings it back to life and even gives it a slightly tacky feel. So far no issues with the integrity of the stacked leather and its seating onto the handle. It is tight and feels great and seems very robust.

All in all, this is a really great using blade that fills a sweet spot between a bushcraft sized knife and a mid-size blade. It really feels like a bushy when you are carving and it cuts so aggressively that you no longer fantasize about having your trusty mora when carving wood like I often do when using a mid-size blade at this chore. At the same time, that extra inch of blade length makes batoning that much easier. I`ll re-iterate in my original review that this is a little-big knife and its design element compliments this functionality perfectly. All in all I would still highly recommend this knife. I see that KSF-Scagel now has the bigger 7.5 inch version of this knife out. It would make an interesting mid-size blade I suspect. I know that a lot of people look at this knife and think that it is a pretty collectible more so than a user. That this was my impression when I first saw the knife up on KSF. My opinion on that has changed with use and I have grown fond this old friend that rides on my belt. It has become one of my trusted users and one that I really do feel comfortable using as my main all-round utility blade when in the bush.

I purchased one of those as well and have been VERY pleased with it's performance.

I use Hubbards boot dressing on the handle and it keeps it in fine shape.

Here is the way I see this:

1) A seller I trust - Knivesshipfree.
2) A maker I trust - BRKT - you can say what you like - but they make good tools and back up their products.
3) A reviewer I trust - KGD is a great guy and tells it like he sees it. He may not be Bear Grylls in terms of experience - but he knows enough to judge a good knife.

I am sold.

TF

Thank you so much for the update. I absolutely love blades with functional designs and a rich and proven tradition behind it.

Ken if you ever get tired you can just send it to me!!!! great review and great knife!!!!

Back