2012 Fishing Thread- What did you catch, how, when? Let's see your pics.

Hit the coast last weekend. Took family and friends to the tide pools and beach. We saw a bunch of whales just off shore. While the kids played on the beach we hit up a local point for some fish killing action. We arent allowed to use hook and line so we have to go in and get them. It was a beautiful day on the coast with calm seas. It was barely 30 degrees when I left my house but the need to fish is a powerful one. It ended up being well worth the effort. I shot a few small black rock fish right off, then this big old ling cod comes out of a hole and tries to take one from me. It took me a few dives to get her but I got her. My buddy shot a few black rock fish and a nice cabazon. He also saw a huge octopus. Like 6-8 ft huge. It was a great way to kick off the year.

100_0032-1.jpg

100_0033.jpg

100_0039.jpg

Matt

Last edited:
ive just got back from a weeks family holiday up north. managed to get these fish . pretty happy as the area is a well known spot so gets a thrashing from a lot of people.both days i was out at 5 in the morning,back by nine for breakfast :D
mathersnap.jpg

16 pound snapper
tikingi.jpg

kingfish
kids.jpg

all the camp kids were very interested...

The bottom one looks like a yellowtail. We have them along the southern coast of cali. Whats the first one? How did you catch them? From shore or boat?

Nice Catch. YT's make the best sashimi!

Matt

hey matt , sorry i didnt mention that, i speared them same as you. i really rate spearfishing and get out as much as possible :D . both these fish where caught diving from shore . i was lucky this trip,last trip we did i went diving a lot more,and came home with nothing at all.yes it is a yellow tail kingfish,i think the same as you mentioned.

Not from 2012 but this summer I fished 5 days a week minimum. Week days after work at five until dark around 9 and basicall all day every weekend. Managed to catch a 44 inch 20 lbs pike. A 12 lbs 31.5 inch walleye, an 18 inch smallmouth just over 4 lbs. Caught lots of fish but these were the biggest of each species. Pike was on a 4 inch rapala x_rap. Smallmouth was on a shad colored rapala DT-4. And walleye was on a medium sized koppers live target topwater frog.

I was able to get out Monday but the water was darn cold for trout and cept for a few nibbles I didnt get much action. Spent the better part of the day out there with my spinning rod and fly rod but nothing was bighting. Glad to see you blokes are having some luck.

First Fish of the New Year! Caught it behind the house on a red and white Beetle spin. Saw shad popping the surface and thought Id make a couple casts, maybe catch a bluegill or crappie. Saw a swirl near the shore, cast over and hung this fatty! :D (all pics are of the same fish) Ive got the bug now! Gonna try for some cats this weekend if the weather holds out.

LMBFeb-12.jpg

LMBFeb_12.jpg

BassFeb-12.jpg

Happy Fishing!

we didnt take pics (regret it now) buy my cuz and i went trollin (crappie jigs and very small rattle traps) for crappies in the local city lake. water temps ranged from 45-48 degrees, very light breeze, mostly sunny and stained water. in the few hours we fished we caught double digits. not too bad for slightly inactive fish. we had to troll it just right or you wouldnt get bit. crazy. next time ill take pics

caught this lil guy yesterday (2.5 lbs or so, the shoe is a size 12) on the side of the local lake. the local lake butts up to the back of our pond. we get bored fishing a 5 acre pond we strole down the 4 wheeler trails we made as kids and fish the lake... after this guy i fished some lay downs and hung one that was 5lbs+ and it broke at the knot. i knew i should have retied the knot bc i had caught a few smaller fish on it a few days before. lesson learned. i was using 15lb seaguar flouro and a zoom speed craw as you can see

2012-03-07_17-00-07_929.jpg

I need to try and catch a bass. I know this little shallow pond off the river that is fed by a pipe . Early in the year big bass go in there to warm up. If youre the 1st person there you have a chance at one.

I need to try and catch a bass. I know this little shallow pond off the river that is fed by a pipe . Early in the year big bass go in there to warm up. If youre the 1st person there you have a chance at one.

if your winter was way warmer than normal like us, you need to go now. in fact others may have beat you to it. i saw a few pigs sunnin' themselves in the shallows of the pond but they spook very very easily. ill have to ninja fish next time. they were scared of everything i tossed at them .

first fish of the year caught this one and a twin to him and 9 bass most 10-12 inches
pic00224.jpg

My cell phone camera was set to small pictures

This was first fish of the year. Nothing crazy about it, but it was the FIRST bass I caught this year. My dad bought me a koppers frog for my birthday in february so after throwing it and getting a strike the first time, i stuck it out for a while and ended up getting a few hookups and landed this one.

bc24da6b.jpg

This was first fish of the year. Nothing crazy about it, but it was the FIRST bass I caught this year. My dad bought me a koppers frog for my birthday in february so after throwing it and getting a strike the first time, i stuck it out for a while and ended up getting a few hookups and landed this one.

bc24da6b.jpg

nice fish. lovin the frog. i have 2 in the leapard color as well :thumbup: cant wait to use mine

First time to this specific spot this year and they were hitting top water. I love fishing top water. And this was the first fish my new revo sx brought in. Very nice day. The frog is very nice also. I also use spro frogs, this one blows the spro frogs away in terms of castability, softness, hooks and also the realism.

Back