2012 HTM Forum Gunhammer: *Commitment/Sign-up* thread

I received my #5 just a few minutes ago.

The action is very smooth (max glide), and the knife has no blemishes. It locks up solid and the blade is nicely centered.

The knife feels very good in hand, it is a little smaller than I had imagined, but still large enough to fill the hand.

Mine is not super sharp, but it would cut cardboard etc. I did a few passes on a diamond stone and it is a little better, but it will take some work, but that is not a problem for me.

The etch is almost not able to be seen with the naked eye, you have to hold the blade just so to see the reflection of the etch.

It is a decent knife, and a unique one.

I am happy with the knife; it was a little spendy but I knew how much it was when I paid the deposit.

Ultimately, I received the knife and I don't feel like it was taken or anything.

Now I hope the knife holds up, as that will be the test of a $380 knife, how well it stands up to use.

I hope everyone get's what they wanted out of the project.

Thanks Lacey for the quick ship once you folks had the blades in Forney!

best

mqqn

Just curious if any of the new blades have the steel marking? S90v. Or S90.

I am very disappointed.

This brand has interested me off and on for a while now but after watching this debacle unfold there is no question for me. I will NEVER purchase one. If they can't pull off a relatively high profile forum knife what can be expected of rank and file production pieces. It is really just sad.

I hope they get you guys the knives you bought at the level of quality they should be. This is just getting painful to watch.

That is pretty close to how I feel about the thing.

At first I was sad that I didn't have the cash to participate. Now I'm kind of glad I didn't.

Finally...

I feel at this point the need to be completely honest and my feelings are mixed on the result.

PROS:

-It is very pretty. The green handles are much nicer in person than in photos
-The lock is up ROCK SOLID.
-I like the size and comfort of the handle

CONS (from biggest issue to smallest issue):
-This is probably the dullest knife I have ever received new. Maybe my mini-barrage was as dull but no part of this blade will even try to shave hair.
-The anodizing on the frame chipped the first time I opened the knife from the blade stops. I do not wrist flick any of my knives, ever.
-The stonewashing is noticeably uneven
-The S90 stamp is missing completely. The other etchings are hard to read (took forever for me to get a picture showing #1) so I had to look very closely to make sure.

I'm debating on what I want to do. I'm pretty sure it is going to have to go back at the very least for a sharpening.

This brand has interested me off and on for a while now but after watching this debacle unfold there is no question for me. I will NEVER purchase one. If they can't pull off a relatively high profile forum knife what can be expected of rank and file production pieces. It is really just sad.

I hope they get you guys the knives you bought at the level of quality they should be. This is just getting painful to watch.

This was my exact experience tonight when I opened my #30 gunhammer.

I received my Torpedo blade sometime ago. I had a bad attitude toward the blade and overall experience and basically threw it in the safe. It is a solid knife but I find the finish very lacking for a near $400 knife. The blade finish is inconsistent and the markings are as bad as I have ever seen. I recently purchased a HEST II Military for about half the price and every feature of the finish of the knife is superior to the HTM. Overall I am underwhelmed with the HTM.

I will say that the blade takes an edge like I have rarely seen. The S90V is a laser beam but I am done with HTM.
Thanks for posting up the detailed, honest feedback, fellas. I consider Darrel a friend and help out as a moderator here, but first and foremost I'm a knife nut the same as the rest of you. And speaking as a knife guy, I totally agree that the problems posted up aren't acceptable, especially the blade finish and marking issues. I'll be giving Darrel a call on Monday to discuss at length the issues with the knives and the process (primarily the delays, esp. with the Bowie blades, which show substantial signs of having been rushed).

Darrel Ralph has behaved shamefully throughout this entire process. Taking money from multiple knife enthusiasts--waiting a year to deliver on a substandard knife that is overpriced given the "custom" pricing is just reprehensible.

It's clear this was never anything more than a cash-grab for him. Take the money and then deliver whenever he gets around to it. Who knows what level of craftsman even did the work. Maybe interns? Who knows. That might explain why it took so long.

It's shameful. Shameful. And he can't even do the right thing and give refund to the people who invested their trust in him with this project.

I have had numerous customs made over the years and engaged in countless group-buys, etc., and never have I seem a knifemaker--or any maker--conduct themselves in such a low manner.

I love the lipspeak they put out:

Please, just give us a chance to make things right. That is all we ask.

Sure thing, Mr. Ralph. How's about offering a refund to the decent folks who got taken by your Bladeforums knife scam, huh? That would be a nice start!

You guys are too nice on here. You ought to be more upset. We got taken, plain and simple!
Critical comments and feedback about the knives, service/delays, and so forth are perfectly fine -- I want this forum to be a fair and open place for discussion. But personal attacks on Darrel that grossly and unfairly impugn his ethics and intentions aren't acceptable. There's a massive difference between not delivering a product that meets the expectations of timeliness and quality that one had (which is what everyone else is describing) and willful, malicious dishonesty and deception (which is what you're describing -- incorrectly -- throughout your post).

If you're upset about something and want to give voice to that displeasure in a respectful, thoughtful -- but still forceful -- manner, that's perfectly fine. That's what any good discussion forum are for -- to allow you to share your views and experiences on a topic/product/whatever, be they positive, negative, or mixed. But do so without resorting to baseless accusations and ad hominem attacks.

Thanks for the post Nueron. I'm looking forward to hear the results of your talk with Darrell.

#1 should be there Monday to get reworked.

Thanks for posting up the detailed, honest feedback, fellas. I consider Darrel a friend and help out as a moderator here, but first and foremost I'm a knife nut the same as the rest of you. And speaking as a knife guy, I totally agree that the problems posted up aren't acceptable, especially the blade finish and marking issues. I'll be giving Darrel a call on Monday to discuss at length the issues with the knives and the process (primarily the delays, esp. with the Bowie blades, which show substantial signs of having been rushed).

Critical comments and feedback about the knives, service/delays, and so forth are perfectly fine -- I want this forum to be a fair and open place for discussion. But personal attacks on Darrel that grossly and unfairly impugn his ethics and intentions aren't acceptable. There's a massive difference between not delivering a product that meets the expectations of timeliness and quality that one had (which is what everyone else is describing) and willful, malicious dishonesty and deception (which is what you're describing -- incorrectly -- throughout your post).

If you're upset about something and want to give voice to that displeasure in a respectful, thoughtful -- but still forceful -- manner, that's perfectly fine. That's what any good discussion forum are for -- to allow you to share your views and experiences on a topic/product/whatever, be they positive, negative, or mixed. But do so without resorting to baseless accusations and ad hominem attacks.

Hi Neuron,

First off: I do not blame you for this. I see you as as much a lamb to the slaughter as the rest of us.

Secondly: these are not baseless, not are they ad hominem. I have emails from my dealing with Mr. Ralph's company I can post if you wish and they validate my observations of himself and the company he runs. I have refrained from doing so because I did not want to make matters worse. Truthfully, I just want to move on from this entire negative experience.

How would you describe an individual and company that has behaved in such a fashion as Mr. Ralph and HTM? Take almost $15k from a bunch of trusting people, barely communicate with them on the project for an entire year, then deliver a substandard product and tell them "Tough @#$%! No refunds!" for those who would like to be made whole again from this negative experience?

It's hard to be respectful towards Mr. Ralph when his treatment of his trusting (or exploited, if you prefer, and I do) customers is anything but!

Last edited:
I'll try to post some pictures later comparing the torpedo blade forum knife I picked up and the Bowie blade forum knife (#44) I got in the mail. First off I have to say I'm very happy with the torpedo blade. Second I have to say I was extremely happy with how quick Lacey was to respond to any email questions I sent her. As far as the Bowie blade knife goes, I really just have two issues. The first is that the blade isn't that sharp. It will cut cardboard, but isn't nearly as sharp as the torpedo blade. I feel like with the price of these knives, they should be sharp. My second issue is that the blade isn't stamped either "s90v" or "s90". Missing that stamp is pretty disappointing to me. Honestly the light stamping doesn't really bother me. Generally I prefer quality over timeliness, and this is one case where I would have waited an extra week or two to get the blade material marked on the the knife and have the blade properly sharpened. All that being said, if I could get those two issues corrected, I'd be very happy. I love the maxx glide system. I like the color of green on the handles. I'm happy with the size of the knife. I really like the blade steel...

I think we have yet to hear of a Bowie blade that came sharp with the S90 stamp.

I am interested to hear your thoughts on the quality of the stonewash and the clarity of the blade marking on your torpedo vs your bowie.

The clarity of the blade markings are the same. I prefer the stonewashing on the torpedo blade, but I'm not unhappy the stonewashing of the Bowie blade. That being said, they're not identical. Hopefully I'll get a chance to post pictured today...if not it will be Sunday or Monday. Like I said if I could get the sharpness and blade steel marking issue fixed I'd be happy. I could sharpen it myself, but I don't feel I should have to sharpen a new and unused knife at this price point.

The clarity of the blade markings are the same. I prefer the stonewashing on the torpedo blade, but I'm not unhappy the stonewashing of the Bowie blade. That being said, they're not identical. Hopefully I'll get a chance to post pictured today...if not it will be Sunday or Monday. Like I said if I could get the sharpness and blade steel marking issue fixed I'd be happy. I could sharpen it myself, but I don't feel I should have to sharpen a new and unused knife at this price point.

Send it back, that's what I did.

Update: finally heard back from the credit card company on my dispute with this company and I'm happy to report I was able to recoup all my losses.

I will not trouble you all in this thread again. Needless to say I am done with Darrel Ralph and HTM forever.

Be well all!

Hi Neuron,

First off: I do not blame you for this. I see you as as much a lamb to the slaughter as the rest of us.

Secondly: these are not baseless, not are they ad hominem. I have emails from my dealing with Mr. Ralph's company I can post if you wish and they validate my observations of himself and the company he runs. I have refrained from doing so because I did not want to make matters worse. Truthfully, I just want to move on from this entire negative experience.

How would you describe an individual and company that has behaved in such a fashion as Mr. Ralph and HTM? Take almost $15k from a bunch of trusting people, barely communicate with them on the project for an entire year, then deliver a substandard product and tell them "Tough @#$%! No refunds!" for those who would like to be made whole again from this negative experience?

It's hard to be respectful towards Mr. Ralph when his treatment of his trusting (or exploited, if you prefer, and I do) customers is anything but!
Appreciate the clarification. What I was mainly taking issue with was the characterization of this as a "scam", etc. in your original post, which for the reasons I mentioned I think went too far. I'm glad to hear you got things sorted out with your credit card company, and your opinions are always welcome here, even if they are negative ones.

Pictures of #5 -

DSC_3049.JPG

DSC_3054.JPG

Trying to capture the DDR logo and the stonewash - it is smooth, but has a more coarse looking texture to the finish.

DSC_3043.JPG

DSC_3045.JPG

DSC_3057.JPG

DSC_3070.JPG

DSC_3075.JPG

DSC_3076.JPG

DSC_3077.JPG

DSC_3081.JPG

DSC_3082.JPG

DSC_3083.JPG

DSC_3096.JPG

A new class of crappy cell phone media, video!!
[youtube]fs2K_KnzosI[/youtube]

I had hoped it would turn out better, but at least you can see the flipping action.

best

mqqn

Last edited:
My Torpedo looks much the same and to me that is a less than professional finish of a $360 mid tech knife. Compared to my JYD II which was and still is better looking in terms of finish than the HTM it is hard to be satisfied. Coupled with the fact that there was no refund option even after the original terms were shattered. It is hard to find a way to like and live with this deal.

My Gunhammer showed up in the mail today. I want to be very clear before I describe the condition of the knife that I was not happy with the many turns this project took. From being very late, to selling the same knife in a different color at a huge discount long before we received ours, to the complete lack of communication (completely deserting his own forum) and so on. I had convinced myself that I was going to sell the knife immediately upon delivery because I was so fed up with the whole deal.... Until I got it.

The bad first: the edge is a joke. Big burr on one side, a micro bevel on one half the other side, not sharpened to the tip, uneven/ two seperate grinds towards the hanlde end and last but not least, very dull. It will shave hair with the last 3/8" but thats mosly do to the burr. I have seen some poor sharpening jobs in my day but this takes the cake. That sucks because my Rough riders came shaving sharp from the factory for less than $15. It also sucks because not everyone that bought one of these will be able to easily set a bevel on S90V.

Now that I have that out of the way, I might just keep it. Its really nice! Mine does have "S90" on the blade. The markings are light but I dont mind a bit. The handle is very comfy and the green looks great. Lockup is early and rock solid, no play in any direction. The blade stops have not chipped the anodizing yet, in fact, it seems to be conacting both sides evenly accross the whole surface. This tells me that they did a great job on fitting this one. It is BY FAR the smoothest deploying knife that I have ever held. Just touch the flipper and it flys open. I really like this knife.

To sum it up, I feel that we were all treated poorly through this project and that HTM (Darrel Ralph) has displayed poor ethics. I will never deal with them again. The knife that they sent me though(other than the edge), is very nice. I am impressed with the overall build and will probably keep it.

Back