2012 Model Fiskars Kydex covers

Wow, completely flat? This I gotta see!

Apparently still some kinks. Gonna have to mold in a lift for the bit or something.

Anyways:
Gerber Camp Axe I and II added and price raised a bit on the X15 (because it's freakin' huge).
Options added for "Lite" and "Deluxe" versions.
Page moved to http://www.kiahdex.com/fiskars-gerber/ to make my organizational life a bit easier.
"Add to cart" buttons added for individual models.

Progress.

That Kydex looks beautiful, well designed and very fairly priced, too!

Are the 2013 Models ready yet? I just bought a Fiskars X7, and I have to say, I've never been more impressed with an axe or hatchet near this price point. I'm just amazed at how nice it feels, (I mainly like wood handles,) but it chops well out of its size & weight category.

This is gonna be a perfect camping hatchet with the addition of some nice kydex!

That Kydex looks beautiful, well designed and very fairly priced, too!

Are the 2013 Models ready yet? I just bought a Fiskars X7, and I have to say, I've never been more impressed with an axe or hatchet near this price point. I'm just amazed at how nice it feels, (I mainly like wood handles,) but it chops well out of its size & weight category.

This is gonna be a perfect camping hatchet with the addition of some nice kydex!

Thanks.

The 2013 model got put on hold for now, but I'm hoping to get time to work the problems out in the next couple of weeks. The problem with no bend on the back is that the bit wants to catch. It needs a riser so that the bit centers and haven't had a chance to sit down and figure it out.

I like the X7, but I love the feel of the old 14". I think it's mostly the slimness of the handle.

I never handled the old 14" hatchet, but I have pretty long fingers, so maybe that's why the X7 is just right for me.

Would you mind posting to let us know if/when the 2013 update is available? I'll purchase right away. Though, I'm sure the current model will do just fine, and might end up ordering one anyway, depending on how long it'll be. I've got some camping to do!

Thanks so much for all your hard work on these sheaths. I think the Fiskars axes are like the axe equivalent of Moras: super tough, well engineered and a great value. But they definitely benefit from a sheath upgrade!

[...]

Thanks so much for all your hard work on these sheaths. I think the Fiskars axes are like the axe equivalent of Moras: super tough, well engineered and a great value. But they definitely benefit from a sheath upgrade!

Very true! I also knocked the bevel shoulders off my 14" when I got it, for a full convex :thumbup:

Very true! I also knocked the bevel shoulders off my 14" when I got it, for a full convex :thumbup:
Funny you should mention that: I used mine very hard this past weekend and yesterday: when I resharpen I was going to do just that!

Any tips on the full convex conversion would be really appreciated! ;)

I never handled the old 14" hatchet, but I have pretty long fingers, so maybe that's why the X7 is just right for me.

Would you mind posting to let us know if/when the 2013 update is available? I'll purchase right away. Though, I'm sure the current model will do just fine, and might end up ordering one anyway, depending on how long it'll be. I've got some camping to do!

I like thick handled knives (I have long fingers as well). I think it's more that I've cut so much with the old style that I just kinda got used to it. The X7 is a better chopper in my opinion though.

I'll post a note here and on the site when I get it sorted. I'm gonna try to get something together next week. Gotta couple new toys coming in that should let me do it without adding any work time.

Funny you should mention that: I used mine very hard this past weekend and yesterday: when I resharpen I was going to do just that!

Any tips on the full convex conversion would be really appreciated! ;)

For the life of me I can't remember the name, but there's a website somewhere with a good amount of data on convexing the Fiskars hatchets at varying geometries. I'll see if I can track it down.

That'd be cool, Kiah :thumbup: I'd like to see that.

g.macdonnell, I just took my time with mine, did it by hand with the wet&dry + mousepad method. I just winged it, didn't get fancy. Now that I have a lil belt sander and belts, I'd probably use it instead if I had to do it over (perhaps change geometry if it would really benefit from it).

Couldn't find anything in a search, but now I'm fairly certain it was on Jimbo's site (http://www.oldjimbo.com/). Don't see it now though. Still some excellent info on other hatchets and gear.

I am REALLY kicking myself for "waiting for the new model,"!!! I just finished a long AT section hike and didn't bring the X7 b/c of the sheath. It would have really come in handy on those wet, cold nights. Kiah, any idea when you'll start taking orders for the Fiskars/Gerber sheaths again? (Soon i hope!)

I am REALLY kicking myself for "waiting for the new model,"!!! I just finished a long AT section hike and didn't bring the X7 b/c of the sheath. It would have really come in handy on those wet, cold nights. Kiah, any idea when you'll start taking orders for the Fiskars/Gerber sheaths again? (Soon i hope!)

Not really. I've got like 800 sheaths on the list at the moment and that'll be added to before I'm done. If I can I'll try to set some time aside next weekend and do a few for the X7 and stick your name on one.

Figured I'd post this in case anyone was curious as Fiskars' site is devoid of the info.. Postman dropped off the new blacked out 14" hatchet and 28" chopper. Both are still stamped "Finland" in case anyone was curious about the price drop.

The 14" is the X7 in every way except the rubber on the handle being nixed (replaced with grooves) and the paint job. The X7 is just a bit longer as well. Maybe 1/4" or so at the swell and a bit less overall. So much better IMO. Apparently the rubber covering was what I disliked about the X7 because the new one feels as good in hand as the old style 14". If you have an X7 sheath it'll fit the new 14", there's no difference past the grip.

The 28" shares it's head with the X15 and again the rubber is replaced with grooves, so for all accounts and purposes it's an X15 with 4 more inches of handle. The handle to head transition is slightly different and I don't have any X15 sheaths made ATM, so not sure whether one will fit the 28" perfectly or not.

Hope that helps anyone looking at the new models. Both are a step up from their counterparts IMO. They could stand a bit of high visibility paint on the handle somewhere though.

Last edited:
You're very welcome. One thing I can say is that once all the stickers are removed these things do look pretty tacticool. Not really sure why they felt the need to paint the heads. I guess it was to appeal to the tactical zombie killing ninja crowd. Estwing has blacked out versions of theirs as well. All things considered though the molded in logo instead of paint and the grooves instead of rubber do look (and feel) better. Once I sharpen the edges (already damaged from shipping on the 14") and flatten the polls (why they continue not to do this from the factory is beyond me), I'll give 'em a workout. I may do a side by side with the new 14" and a GB Wildlife when I get some free time.

Hey I guess I'm late to the party because I would like to order 2 of your sheaths for Christmas. It seems your site is down due to demand. Any thoughts for when you can resume taking new orders???

Hey I guess I'm late to the party because I would like to order 2 of your sheaths for Christmas. It seems your site is down due to demand. Any thoughts for when you can resume taking new orders???

I really can't say. If you wanna shoot me an email with what you're wanting I can mark it down, but I can't guarantee a turnaround time right now.

g.macdonnell, shoot me an email.

A little late to that party but I'm wondering if you're back up and running? The sites seem to be down.

A little late to that party but I'm wondering if you're back up and running? The sites seem to be down.

Mostly been doing non-individual orders for a while, but I'm working on a few things and a new Fiskars sheath is up there. Should have them available soon.

The site kept getting hit by a hacker, so I pulled it since I wasn't taking orders from it anyway. Gonna try to get it back up in the next couple weeks.

Hopefully I can order one of your sheaths soon. It's literally the only one I've seen worth buying IMO.

Back