2012 Starmate prototype

Thanks for the link. Must have missed it some how but I was mainly just interested in the Starmate.

I love the Starmate, but I don't think the new model us as nice as the old one.

The new one is nice, but there's nothing really unique about it. The grind on the old one is siiick.

10ct3lk.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_starmate.jpg

Last edited:
i think it's more about the 9 holes and the full liners ;)

what makes it good for lefties makes it passable for me. the original was a good mix of massive blade in a ightweight package, this one is just another 4"-ish tactical linerlock. at least in my eyes. i would have been fine with dual nested liners and right /left tip up.

anyway it's still fine they listened to us and produced this old design again.

I think it's a really cool model, with the straight profile and all. It somehow seems like a good gateway-Spyderco, for people who haven't learned to love the brand yet :).

Its a Bob Terzuola design.... nuff said. :thumbup:

I love the Starmate, but I don't think the new model us as nice as the old one.

I'd love to have one of the original Starmates but they tend to be pretty pricey when one shows up for sale.

I think it's a really cool model, with the straight profile and all.

+1

I'd love to have one of the original Starmates but they tend to be pretty pricey when one shows up for sale.

+1

New one CANNOT be inexpensive. Look at the proto - it is the same knife like the old one (minus the liners). The fact is that spyderco could build starmate any time, just by loading old design into CNC, or by using other method. I bet they could build them in China in Tenacious line.
BUT we don't want inexpensive on, right? :)

Older one is better - full liners are unnecessary.

But the full liners are what draws it to me this time, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the liners were made thicker than they are now. This is my personal taste we are talking about though.

Jossta, is that one of Jill's pictures? If so don't just use it without getting her ok. Just common courtesy.

Joe

New one CANNOT be inexpensive. Look at the proto - it is the same knife like the old one (minus the liners). The fact is that spyderco could build starmate any time, just by loading old design into CNC, or by using other method. I bet they could build them in China in Tenacious line.
BUT we don't want inexpensive on, right?

Older one is better - full liners are unnecessary.

I wouldn't mind it being manufactured out of the Taiwan factory. They did a great job on the Sage 2 and Chapparal I have and at a reasonable price. As far as the liners go I can see the benefit in liners and the absence of them also.

Jossta, is that one of Jill's pictures? If so don't just use it without getting her ok. Just common courtesy.

Joe

I don't have any idea. Just used what came up in GIS. I'll take it down if you want. I generally don't ask every time I find a pic to post on GIS, it's been posted on BF before and I'm not claiming it as my own picture...

Considering it's pretty similar in materials and construction to the Lum Tanto, I'd guess ~$150-170.

Back