2012 Starmate prototype

One thing about the new starmate that doesn't match with the first. The first starmate was designed to be an "american classic". It was designed by an american, built in america, and used the new (at the time) american "wonder steel" CPM440V. Too bad this starmate can't be a showcase for American cutlery like the last one.

Any specs on this? Specifically I would like to know the weight. For some reason I couldnt find the older version on the Spyderco website. And is this going to be a production knife or a sprint?

I weighed my original PE Starmate: 115g or 4.05oz

I have been carrying mine off and on. Would definitely like to see jimping on the spine behind the hole, I think liners would be a plus, and would like to see tip up clip position carry. I think I have been spoiled by carrying knives with frame locks, but the liner lock seems to be pretty stout on my Starmate. Some Militec and a little adjustment of the pivot found the sweet spot, for me anyway. Mine might be a collectors item, but it has it's battle scars, a scary sharp edge, and is meant to be used.

Hi Brownshoe,

I agree that was a burr for us for quite a while. We took over a year to make the decision to make them in Seki. Would have preferred to make them in Golden. Also, back then, Bob T only wanted US mfg. He's since adjusted his opinion. His slippie was made in Taiwan.

The quality will be good. the steel is good. Just not the American classic.

Also, I owe you one of these. Be happy to get it to you when they come out. you have to come up with a comfortable (for you) way for me to get it to you. Email me.

sal

just my honest opinion. any knife costing more than $120 should have an s30v blade or some other hard powder steel.

Hi Brownshoe,

I agree that was a burr for us for quite a while. We took over a year to make the decision to make them in Seki. Would have preferred to make them in Golden. Also, back then, Bob T only wanted US mfg. He's since adjusted his opinion. His slippie was made in Taiwan.

The quality will be good. the steel is good. Just not the American classic.

Also, I owe you one of these. Be happy to get it to you when they come out. you have to come up with a comfortable (for you) way for me to get it to you. Email me.

sal
Where's my free Starmate?:(:D

I hope to see some sprints of this model. Im not the biggest fan of vg10, so I will probably miss out on this one.

Brownshoe and I have been argueing on the forms for more than a decade. I owe him one.
sal
If I would know this, I would started to argue with you about clipless Kopa in 2005. :D and in only three years I would have one. I even ready to pay :)

If I would know this, I would started to argue with you about clipless Kopa in 2005. :D and in only three years I would have one. I even ready to pay :)

You and Deacon both. We're thinking about it.

sal

I guess asking you to putting the Terzuola Emblem on the scales is out of the question???

Fall time give or take, that's good news!. :D The Starmate is the one I'm waiting for.

Back