2012 Starmate prototype

I heard a rumor today about a sprint run of the Starmate in the works. Any truth to this?

I am very excited to see this knife coming back and I will definitely get one , maybe 2. A sprint run would be SWEET! Maybe Elmax or 3V and cf , or as others have said blue, or white G-10 . Anyways, I see this one has double liners.... will they be titanium?

Last edited:
While this is an older design, it is all new tooling and a new maker so we don't know the "Sprint" status as this time (how many, etc.).

sal

Sal, Thanks for the update/info it really helps to know ball park times.
This means its a ways off before hitting the market, now I can order a Techno,:D with out fear the Starmate shows up next week.

While this is an older design, it is all new tooling and a new maker so we don't know the "Sprint" status as this time (how many, etc.).

Thanks Sal. Just getting anxious and then heard at a show this might be possible.

The Starmate will always have a special place in my heart, it was the first Spyderco I bought when I started getting a real pay cheque; I was keen to get a Milli at the time (that came later) but the dealer talked me into the Starmate. This is second Spyderco I came to own, my first being a C01 Worker my dad gifted to me in the '80s.

017js.jpg

Glad to see it coming back, would like to pick up this new PE but I'm thinking it's likely it won't make it past Australian customs these days.

Any news on these? Except for a few one hand openers, I've turned my knife accumulation over to slipjoints and bushcraft style knives. Still have my Starmate, Military, Natives and Manixes. Yeah, might be more than a few... Anyway, looking forward to this one.

Now that we have entered the 4th quarter of 2012, has anyone heard an update to this one. I have been holding off on all other blades just to make sure o have the $. This would be a killer edc since I won't carry my original Starmate.

I was hoping this came out, I couldnt hold off and just purchased a Lum Tanto and a LG micarta Sebbie just this week. Now I doubt I'll be getting the Starmate at release like I thought I would. Thank goodness it is regular production and not a sprint because Ill get one when money permits again.

I read somewhere that it should be out very soon like within a month. They already received production samples awhile back...

I've got both of Sal's first two collaboration models with BobT - the Senior and Junior. They are fantastic knives, and I've always kicked myself for not getting a Starmate when they came out. I agree with Dr. Heelhook, very elegant.

TedP

2012-02-0415-31-18965-sm.jpg

I was hoping this came out, I couldnt hold off and just purchased a Lum Tanto and a LG micarta Sebbie just this week. Now I doubt I'll be getting the Starmate at release like I thought I would. Thank goodness it is regular production and not a sprint because Ill get one when money permits again.

I read somewhere that it should be out very soon like within a month. They already received production samples awhile back...
That is awesome news!

Back