2012 Starmate prototype

I just read sal post that price hasnt been set yet because they havent produced any yet (other than the samples that is). So theres that.

They are popping up for pre-order on a few sites. I just pre-ordered mine from knifeworks.

They are popping up for pre-order on a few sites. I just pre-ordered mine from knifeworks.

Yikes, wonder if he got permission to use Mr Blonde's (Wouter's) pictures. Looks like he pulled them off spydercollector.com and on each of them either cropped out the citation or copy/pasted the background from another section to hide it

E.g:

original (scaled)

BIzAt.jpg

KW's (notice the rectangle slightly lighter than its surroundings in the top left)

SC55GP.1.jpg

Wow, more expensive than I was expecting.

Also, Kreolo good eye, I hope he's using the pictures with permission.

Last edited:
Price is a bit of a head-scratcher. Only reason I can think of is because it's a collaberation? This is regular production, right?

Yikes, wonder if he got permission to use Mr Blonde's (Wouter's) pictures. Looks like he pulled them off spydercollector.com and on each of them either cropped out the citation or copy/pasted the background from another section to hide it

Thanks for noticing it, knifeworks did NOT ask me for the use of these pictures. And the fact that they cut away my website address indicates to me that he knows that this is not the right thing to do. I'll contact them.

Wouter

I noticed knifeworks also 'found' my pics of the Szabo folder. Funny that their own pics of spydies are clearly watermarked, so they do seem to care about stuff like copyright or source acknowledgement. I don't care if fellow fans or collector use these pics, commercial use is a different category. I'm used to the odd dealer, who wants to use my pics, to approach me before the use of these pics and we work out a deal. Sad to see knifeworks skipped this step. I contacted them and I hope to hear back from them.

But the full liners are what draws it to me this time, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the liners were made thicker than they are now. This is my personal taste we are talking about though.

Had one of the originals that had been modded(changed the clip configuration), and I agree the full liners will be an improvement,it may add a little weight but I think it's a fair trade,the old one had Titanium liners that were attached to the g10 which I didn't feel was that robust. just my.02¢

I am worried that the higher prices may become the new norm.

Yeah a lot of their pricing(not sure what's up) are causing me to lose interest in some of their products and starting to lean more towards Kershaw.

I noticed knifeworks also 'found' my pics of the Szabo folder. Funny that their own pics of spydies are clearly watermarked, so they do seem to care about stuff like copyright or source acknowledgement. I don't care if fellow fans or collector use these pics, commercial use is a different category. I'm used to the odd dealer, who wants to use my pics, to approach me before the use of these pics and we work out a deal. Sad to see knifeworks skipped this step. I contacted them and I hope to hear back from them.

That's unfortunate, Wouter. Roger seems to run a very clean shop, in my experience. Let us know how this turns out.

TedP

Bleh... thought that pic looked familiar. Definitely interested in what they have to say about the picture use, I've been very happy with them so far but I might have to find a new preferred Spyderco dealer depending on their response... :(

Not to insinuate anything here, but that knife really, REALLY looks like an Emerson CQC-7 or Journeyman with a round hole instead of a wave. I mean, yes, obviously there are a bunch of other minor differences, too, but all the major stuff seems uncannily identical, from the scale texture to the blade shape to the thick liner lock.

Then again, I guess those are all pretty basic, strong-and-simple design elements for a hard use knife.

I didn't know anything about the old ones until I saw this thread. Looks like a really nice piece, very much in my tastes (I mention the similarity to the Emersons primarily because I've been eyeballing those models a lot!). Anybody have any thoughts about how the new ones look relative to the old, in terms of quality? I kinda wish they were doing these stateside, but even so, if they sound good I may have to grab one.

Not to insinuate anything here, but that knife really, REALLY looks like an Emerson CQC-7 or Journeyman with a round hole instead of a wave. I mean, yes, obviously there are a bunch of other minor differences, too, but all the major stuff seems uncannily identical, from the scale texture to the blade shape to the thick liner lock.

Then again, I guess those are all pretty basic, strong-and-simple design elements for a hard use knife.

I didn't know anything about the old ones until I saw this thread. Looks like a really nice piece, very much in my tastes (I mention the similarity to the Emersons primarily because I've been eyeballing those models a lot!). Anybody have any thoughts about how the new ones look relative to the old, in terms of quality? I kinda wish they were doing these stateside, but even so, if they sound good I may have to grab one.

I'm going to disagree. Look at the handle shape. Looks nothing like the Journeyman and only slightly like the CQC-7

The don ' t think there is a similarity in design and don ' t get me started on the difference of fit & finish....:)
The quality on the Starmate should be way better than any Emerson , I cannot wait to get mine...:)

Back