2012 Starmate prototype

Per "Anybody have any thoughts about how the new ones look relative to the old, in terms of quality? " I've got one and they are different knives. I had an old one and this new one and I believe the quality of construction is better on the new version. They are different knives, I posted this comparison earlier:

Open construction instead of closed.
VG10 steel instead of 440V.
Dual (thick) liners instead of slim nested liners.
Left or right hand, up or down carry options instead of tip down/right handed.
Flat grind instead of mild hollow grind (IIRC)

The construction is excellent. Fit and finish are top notch, obviously done by one of Japan's best makers. It stands up to the 20x loupe inspection with no suprises. The grind is thin, even and symetrical. Swedges are well done, centered and symetrical. The swedges make the tip very strong but useful. It easily goes through 1/2" of paper. The finish is sweet, not a true mirror finish, but it is very shiny and does reflect an image. Kind of like a polished brushed finish. I like shiny knives.

The edge of the steel liners are polished as well as the spacers and a tube for the lanyard. It has a nice shiny steel pocket clip. There is a spydie on the front side of the blade and the Terzuola name and symbol on the back side.

It opens and closes quickly and smoothly. It came configured tip down. The old Starmate (and all of Bob's designs) had good balance and readily opened with the "spydie pop" (designed to open that way). So does the new one. The balance point is a little behind the pivot, making a well balanced knife that in use feels lighter than it is.

It shaved hair out the box. The edge was sharp with no burr or shiny spot for its whole length. The lockup is good with plenty of room to age.

Back