2017 Gardens

Excellent! I was at my Sisters in Nashville a couple weeks ago. She showed me her tomato plants in pots.... they looked like mine did in late July with lots of tomato hanging. She did plant them late. But that shows you that you can extend the season as long as it doesn't freeze.

Plants of all kinds just amaze me ... especially when they get a little encouragement to grow beyond what we expect.

Little cherry tomatoes are still ripening on the vines here, like hundreds of little red Christmas bulbs in the garden. Daisy is getting her fill especially when my back is turned. The willow fence on the veg garden is toast. The help-yourself dog.

Not sure if these are little Lumpy's hopping and climbing around the gardens these days.

DSCF8809 BABY TOAD IMPATIENS FLOWER 800 MED.jpg

DSCF8817 BABY TOAD IMPATIENS LEAF 800 MED.jpg

The big gal herself is back in her pot daily now that this intense heat has taken us by surprise in September - summer seems to have finally arrived. At first I noticed her at daybreak just sitting on the earth beside the fallen begonia petals in her pot ... then I thought she changed her mind and went elsewhere. But, no. I could just see the sparkle in her eyes.

DSCF8822 LUMPY POT UNDER BEGONIA PETALS 800 MED.jpg

Funny that your pup likes tomatoes. I used to have a dog that loved cantaloupe.

Yard changing moment over the last couple of days..... neighbor had a bunch of her large trees cut down. These shielded my back yard from eyes. Not real thrilled about it generally. But anyway, all the big ones are cut down. One hickory was 100 feet tall. That was a big crash when it hit the ground. Glad some one was doing it that knows what they're doing being close to her house. I asked the tree cutters to cut a black cherry (we called them "choke cherry" as kids) in my back yard. It was about 2 ft in diameter. It was really disfigured as it grew toward "the light" and was almost 'U' shaped in it's effort to reach sunlight. Not a pretty tree. It's gone now. The hummingbirds will miss it as they perched on it a lot between runs to the feeder. Still have some hummers.

Now I'm going to plant a Japanese Maple of some sort in the back yard. I want something that is not going to get 60 feet tall and I like Japanese Maples. It's still shady in the back yard from my neighbors' trees (and mine). So, the Japanese Maple should really like it there and it should provide a nice accent. The grass should probably grow better too. Will have to re-seed the scarred area where they cleaned up the tree to haul off.

It was my first golden cocker spaniel that taught me that dogs love fruit and vegetables. I first saw her, Tess, on her hind legs pulling crab apples off the low hanging branches of the tree in our yard. Then both spaniels and the border collie cross started snacking on the fallen apples she knocked down... and from there it went to snagging blueberries at camp, carrots and tomatoes and green beans from the garden, wild blackberries and raspberries and strawberries ... they love raw potato and peelings too.

A tree that gives shade and privacy is not quickly replaced for sure. They can change the whole atmosphere and growth on a property. The Japanese maple sounds like the perfect choice ...

The property I am in the process of moving to has this one main drawback ... all the trees near the house were taken down and the entire property is flooded with sun - 2 acres of the wildest grass/dock/weed combo you can imagine and encouraged by relentless summer sun. In 2012, I did plant one maple sapling beside the house, knowing it was close but would provide shade and privacy in summer and let in sunshine over winter.

Wow! I thought the poor monarchs had left without a fanfare during the cold just before this heat wave we are enjoying. But no. Yesterday, every flower in every garden here was buzzing (literally) - you couldn't miss the constant hum as the bees dove head first into one blossom after another. And the new monarchs ... on silent wings in their flash and dazzle colours ...

This is why I plant the crackerjack marigolds beside the milkweed patch.

DSCF8827 MONARCH MARIGOLDS 800 MED.jpg

Two at a time ... wonderful to see the comeback which has been widely observed across our region. I had seen two caterpillars and signs of a third in the patch ... Three monarchs in one frame may be too much to ask.

DSCF8829 TWO MONARCHS MARIGOLDS 800 MED.jpg

Rich colour, fresh in the world ...

DSCF8838 MONARCH ORANGE MARIGOLD 800 MED.jpg

The buzzing simply is non-stop, dawn to dusk ... :D

DSCF8843 BUMBLE BEE MARIGOLD 800 MED.jpg

I saw a Monarch yesterday hitting some of the remaining flowers. Hadn't seen one in a while.

I still have some very tall oaks and hickory in my yard. Guessing... 80-100 ft and taller than my house. I like variety. In years past, I almost always planted a red or white oak. This yard had that already. So most of my trees are more ornamental.

Last edited:
The tree canopy and the sun loving flowers ... always a choice. My dear friend Joan, my friend of the overwintered geraniums, died on September 4th. Earlier I had filled her walkways with colour and fun, including the red hot cattails ... as she and I knew well her time was short with us. I will continue to help Joe, her husband, to make the property bloom as it always has into the time ahead.

He is the one who has always loved the flashy reds of the geraniums. He also loves the cooling, welcoming tree canopy of their lakefront property and I must say, give me that lake breeze and delightful shade on a hot summer day anytime.

Joan loved the subtleties of the wild columbine, the delicate blooms that thrived in the dappled shade, the hostas, the garden that kind of looked after itself and never raced ahead of time or energy to rein it in. I'm all over that too ... and we tried wherever possible to make Joe happy with red blossoms, all summer long, in the shade. We laughed a lot over this dilemma of what Joe wanted in a colourful garden in the shade of his treasured tree canopy.

Wild Daisies were Joan's favourite flower. Never before this year have I seen the forestry roads so overgrown with wild daisies as this year. Welcome home, Joan ... I know you are smiling.

May Joan find lots of Daisies where she is now.

My one neighbor was all about "red" flowers. I got a bit tired of the mono accents. They redid a lot of their landscaping and now have a mix of colors (mostly yellows and pinks). We all change in terms of what we like in our yards. I have found the brilliant yellows always make a big impact to your senses. This time of the year, pansies are the easy choice for that.

Thanks. Joan's faith and her knowledge formed the bedrock in her life and beyond. A retired nurse. Had the caregivers and medical people that provided care in her home on their toes certainly ... and in fact knew she was taking a hand in their on-the-job training ... and she would laugh out loud that I wrote these words here. Joan would wink at me. She would have said "Go ahead, post it." BTW ... Joe always called the hostas cabbages! Joan and I laughed and laughed.

Gardens ... Gotta say that yellow lights up the shaded areas, first in the early morning and last in the late evening. Yellow is my go to colour to attract the eye where no other colour can do the job.

You're right ... pansies for fall. I will definitely make two plantings next year, for summer and one again for fall... because they bloom their smiling hearts out then need a rest.

My goodness, my son said he will move me tomorrow to the new place. OK that. I have a few days to move but need to have help as available. Get the heavy stuff trailered out ... I will do the rest. I am so happy with the new owners here - in the trades - respectful of neighbours and community - have old dogs :) . My parents would be proud.

So ... it is on to my next life.

Thanks. Joan's faith and her knowledge formed the bedrock in her life and beyond. A retired nurse. Had the caregivers and medical people that provided care in her home on their toes certainly ... and in fact knew she was taking a hand in their on-the-job training ... and she would laugh out loud that I wrote these words here. Joan would wink at me. She would have said "Go ahead, post it." BTW ... Joe always called the hostas cabbages! Joan and I laughed and laughed.

Gardens ... Gotta say that yellow lights up the shaded areas, first in the early morning and last in the late evening. Yellow is my go to colour to attract the eye where no other colour can do the job.

You're right ... pansies for fall. I will definitely make two plantings next year, for summer and one again for fall... because they bloom their smiling hearts out then need a rest.

My goodness, my son said he will move me tomorrow to the new place. OK that. I have a few days to move but need to have help as available. Get the heavy stuff trailered out ... I will do the rest. I am so happy with the new owners here - in the trades - respectful of neighbours and community - have old dogs :) . My parents would be proud.

So ... it is on to my next life.
Best of luck hope the move goes as smooth as possible.

Thanks LEGION 12 ... rain yesterday slowed the process but this morning the sun shines and the trailering continues

Am moved ... hate stuff with a vengeance ... if anyone so much as offers me a coupon I will decline saying it is their recycling problem not mine any longer.

I am leaving 'stuff' that is important to me, tarped outside against rain (quite unsuccessfully) which seems to oppose a damage free move ongoing.

Nothing like a severe downscaling to inform what is important ... especially if you have to pack it, lug it, and place it ... where there is no space.

Up to chest high in boxes, pathways to the washroom, dog dishes, sleeping area ... my precious movies for escapism ...

I swear, over this winter (still have to stack winter wood on property) I will sort and clear out a lifetime of memorabilia from my family, leave my memories happily in place and ditch the 'stuff'. Like, who cares truly beyond myself except for a few items for the kids.

This gal is going 'stuff' free. And I mean it! :)

I hate moving. It's a lot of work and always takes longer than you think unless you pay some movers to pack and haul to your location.

You may find that you simply like the stuff. But I have a need of doing something similar in terms of my stuff. Probably about time for another dumpster. I sometimes wonder why I save jeans that don't fit... too small thinking I'll shrink as I get older. And the funny thing is that I haven't worn a pair of jeans in years.... I sort of went all khaki versus jeans, but some of the khaki type pants are sort of jean-like.

Might be time for a utility shed?

What? We don't shrink with age? :eek: ... my power suits from former life will all have to go.

Not putting anything permanent in here until I am certain to stay - thinking about a saltbox design shed - although always wanted to find that little cabin in the woods, under a gentle tree canopy that filters out the harsh sun but lets in just enough to grow a little food and flowers. Stuff and sun-loving rampant grass hold the same level of "good riddance" for me now. This place is a market gardener's dream ... but I may have to hire some help to maintain all of it in grass and that is probably not the path for me.

To house the mower & garden trailer, and the larger trailer and the garden plus other tools - I've put up a 10 x 20 tarp shed. Jammed to the rafters right now and no trailers or mower are in it - until I can get the inside stuff out of it and organized. I will work on it a little today.

And then I am heading out to have Thanksgiving dinner at a cousin's home. Priorities are in order! Looking forward to that :thumbsup:

It was rainy and miserable all day yesterday so I had a lazy day. I got up early with every intention of being productive but the most I could manage was grilling some steaks for dinner.

Today I had to make up for it today.

When I bought this place in 2014 there were probably eight small-ish mulberry trees in a tight group in the yard . They were maybe 3" in diameter. I took out all but two bigger ones right at the fence. Over the past couple years those two grew like weeds. The base is probably 6"-7" on both. They were choking out my Magnolia tree so it was time for them to go.

The first pic was taken after I had removed a good amount of small branches to get at the bigger stuff. I forgot to take a "before" photo so, this is as "before" as I could get.

Most of the heavy cutting was done with a Saws-all with a 8" wood cutting blade. I need to rent a small chainsaw to remove the rest of the stumps.

It'll probably be a couple years before the Magnolia fills in.

[--

Last edited:
Looks to me like you did good. I had a fairly large black cherry (~1.5 foot diameter trunk near base) removed from my back yard as it was so crooked that I was worried about top breaking off in a wind storm (basically off balance). It was a good spot for birds. But that's about it. Lots of seedlings coming up all the time in my yard. So, now I have more sun in the back yard. I still have some fairly large hickory and oak trees.

For taking down limbs, I like the reciprocating saw with wood blade too. I am scared to death of chainsaws!
Just taking a moment away from boxes and tarps to share some pics of new digs.
Good news or bad news first? OK - bad news ...
The great lawn challenge of 2018. I am not even going to tackle it until winter deep freeze subdues it. Also lengthy laneway, a good part of which is uphill for the walk behind snow blower. I will definitely get snow removal contractor in this winter. Right now I am overwhelmed sufficiently with getting wood stacked and just thinking about snowblowing to the woodpile and tidying the snow in the yard.
DSCF8909 GRASS CHALLENGE DISTANCE 800 MED.jpg

The sweet little house on the hill. Easy to heat. Pointy roof. A little overstuffed right now but in time over winter will be a lot less so. When the pups and I took our first evening walk down to the river, a whitetail deer flushed from the side of the laneway. After dark I heard another one. Huge flocks of grackles are moving through with a decibel rating of a transport truck steaming through - but chirpier
I had forgotten until the last few crystal clear overnights how the night sky here, with the lack of tree cover and the millions of stars, is just so dazzling from horizon to horizon - just jaw dropping.
DSCF8873 NEW DIGS 800 MED.jpg

From the dock - upriver to the East
DSCF8902 UPRIVER TO EAST 800 MED.jpg

Downriver to the West

DSCF8901 DOENRIVER TO WEST 800 MED.jpg

For taking down limbs, I like the reciprocating saw with wood blade too. I am scared to death of chainsaws!
Just taking a moment away from boxes and tarps to share some pics of new digs.
Good news or bad news first? OK - bad news ...
The great lawn challenge of 2018. I am not even going to tackle it until winter deep freeze subdues it. Also lengthy laneway, a good part of which is uphill for the walk behind snow blower. I will definitely get snow removal contractor in this winter. Right now I am overwhelmed sufficiently with getting wood stacked and just thinking about snowblowing to the woodpile and tidying the snow in the yard.
View attachment 779447

The sweet little house on the hill. Easy to heat. Pointy roof. A little overstuffed right now but in time over winter will be a lot less so. When the pups and I took our first evening walk down to the river, a whitetail deer flushed from the side of the laneway. After dark I heard another one. Huge flocks of grackles are moving through with a decibel rating of a transport truck steaming through - but chirpier
I had forgotten until the last few crystal clear overnights how the night sky here, with the lack of tree cover and the millions of stars, is just so dazzling from horizon to horizon - just jaw dropping.
View attachment 779448

From the dock - upriver to the East
View attachment 779449

Downriver to the West

View attachment 779455
Awesome.

You know LEGION 12, I am finding that scaling down to basics in a house that can hold little stuff ... yet with a big outdoors ... to be exactly awesome :thumbsup: Thanks.

You know LEGION 12, I am finding that scaling down to basics in a house that can hold little stuff ... yet with a big outdoors ... to be exactly awesome :thumbsup: Thanks.
The only thing I regret is being so close to my neighbors , you are going to have epic garden next year.

Back