2017 Summer Kitchen KITH.

I'm interested. I have some aeb-l and some m4 that might work nice. I'm going to have to send it out for heat treatment. That will be a first. What's my drop dead date do you guys think.

I'm interested. I have some aeb-l and some m4 that might work nice. I'm going to have to send it out for heat treatment. That will be a first. What's my drop dead date do you guys think.

What's the turnaround on heat treat? As long as you have it ready to ship 01 Sept 2017, you are fine.

Last edited:
I'm slammed at work for the next month. Does anyone know if I can get a 2 week or less turn around on heat treatment for 1 to 3 blades in the NYC area?

retracted. I'm just worried about the timeline, having to wait to make a saya after waiting for it to come back from heat treat.

Last edited:
The only other thing to keep in mind is handle materials
Since January all Rosewoods (including cocobolo and African Blackwood) are technically a no go without documentation and a CITES permit. A lot of things slip through, but if the wrong customs agent decides to open the package there is a very good chance of the knife being siezed.
I've stopped offering Rosewood handles outside of Canada for that reason. And that really stung seeing as 95% of my work was Rosewood and I have a massive stockpile of it.
I have used Ipe on several kitchen knives and am pleased with it. It is very strong/ stable and oily. Similar to Cocobolo in physical properties, but not the same look. I find it attractive myself. P_20170711_124916_vHDR_Auto.jpg

I have used Ipe on several kitchen knives and am pleased with it. It is very strong/ stable and oily. Similar to Cocobolo in physical properties, but not the same look. I find it attractive myself. View attachment 739270
Exactly, there are many other great choices.
Rosewoods are my favorite materials for various reasons, but it's not worth loosing a knife to customs over.
Katalox, and the various ebonies are great choices too. Plus ziricote, snakewood, and many many others

I have used Ipe on several kitchen knives and am pleased with it. It is very strong/ stable and oily. Similar to Cocobolo in physical properties, but not the same look. I find it attractive myself. View attachment 739270

Wow, that is really attractive wood on that knife. I've read it can vary in color and grain, and the few ipe scales I've bought are a lot paler and more boring. Is that the color after an oil finish?

Wow, that is really attractive wood on that knife. I've read it can vary in color and grain, and the few ipe scales I've bought are a lot paler and more boring. Is that the color after an oil finish?
Nope, that's what it looks like with just sanding and buffing. I got two big pieces from a deck wood distributor. They had hundreds of thousands of board feet of it, and it all looked the same.

I may be in, just finished 3 kitchen knives I hope to sell at the county fair...I may have one for the KITH.
Would a left-handed Honesuki be acceptable? (I'm thinking that one won't sell:()
(too bad paring knives are out, I'm finishing up 3 pattern welded: one cable, one ladder pattern 1095/15N20, and one of low layer count O1/15N20...)

~billyO

I may be in, just finished 3 kitchen knives I hope to sell at the county fair...I may have one for the KITH.
Would a left-handed Honesuki be acceptable? (I'm thinking that one won't sell:()
(too bad paring knives are out, I'm finishing up 3 pattern welded: one cable, one ladder pattern 1095/15N20, and one of low layer count O1/15N20...)

~billyO

I'm a leftie, just need to keep my fingers crossed that I end up with your entry. ;)

Hi everyone!

My entry to the Summer 2017 KITH is done!

I went with a 165mm Nakiri with a full tang handle. It's in O1 at 63 HRC and handsanded to 1200 grit. The spine is 2mm and tapers a smidge to the "point", and the bevels are convex ground for better food release.

The handle is Micarta with G10 liner and SS pins. Finished to 1200 grit and polished. The edge was taken down to about 0,15mm and has been sharpened slightly convex at 15 DPS.

I hope the recipient will find it useful.

P8h6BXL.jpg

I'm out. My job ran a extra couple of weeks. I won't have time off till next week. Hopefully I can catch the next one.

Hi everyone!

My entry to the Summer 2017 KITH is done!

I went with a 165mm Nakiri with a full tang handle. It's in O1 at 63 HRC and handsanded to 1200 grit. The spine is 2mm and tapers a smidge to the "point", and the bevels are convex ground for better food release.

The handle is Micarta with G10 liner and SS pins. Finished to 1200 grit and polished. The edge was taken down to about 0,15mm and has been sharpened slightly convex at 15 DPS.

I hope the recipient will find it useful.

P8h6BXL.jpg
Saw that on instagram. Really nice.

I started forging a bar of W1 last night. Just running out of time between all the plates I'm spinning.

~billyO
If you did Damascus, a paring knife is fine.

We can rig the vote if we have any left handed users who are interested as well.

Back