2017 Summer Kitchen KITH.

I started forging a bar of W1 last night. Just running out of time between all the plates I'm spinning.

I'm in the same boat. I started forging a W1 integral, but I'll submit a S35VN gyuto that's half finished.

Yeah, that was my plan as well. I think I'll have to switch gears also.

These are my two likely entries. I also had a 1095 gyuto, but it's got a stubborn twist and I don't want to play with it too much right now.

IMG_2298 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

Oh, what the hell. I'm in. I'll just have to use ebony and curly maple. :p

I added you to the list.

Something in Don's W2 maybe???? :rolleyes:
Well, there is that, but I also have a couple of smaller blade "blanks" worth of 115W8, a bunch of Cru Forge V and, of course, the ever popular AEB-L. I will probably pass on making one from an "orphan" piece of 115W8/15N20 or1084/15N20 damascus. :p But seriously, they are all about the same me. The time consuming part of making a kitchen knife for me is the finish grinding and hand finishing. I haven't gotten the hang of the quick belt finish yet. the handles go quicker now that I have figured out the best combination using the KMG, cabinet makers rasps and sandpaper and maybe the odd router.

Well, there is that, but I also have a couple of smaller blade "blanks" worth of 115W8, a bunch of Cru Forge V and, of course, the ever popular AEB-L. I will probably pass on making one from an "orphan" piece of 115W8/15N20 or1084/15N20 damascus. :p But seriously, they are all about the same me. The time consuming part of making a kitchen knife for me is the finish grinding and hand finishing. I haven't gotten the hang of the quick belt finish yet.
Joe! Have you been smokin Crack? Cross post here Brotherman :rolleyes:

Well, there is that, but I also have a couple of smaller blade "blanks" worth of 115W8, a bunch of Cru Forge V and, of course, the ever popular AEB-L. I will probably pass on making one from an "orphan" piece of 115W8/15N20 or1084/15N20 damascus. :p But seriously, they are all about the same me. The time consuming part of making a kitchen knife for me is the finish grinding and hand finishing. I haven't gotten the hang of the quick belt finish yet. the handles go quicker now that I have figured out the best combination using the KMG, cabinet makers rasps and sandpaper and maybe the odd router.

I'm kidding of course! I'm making myself a kitchen knife in CFV to see how it compares to the Z-wear, which I'm way overly impressed with! Totally underrated steel from what I can tell (both of them).

I hear you on the grinder finish vs. hand finish. The shakiness from peripheral neuropathy is much less noticeable with hand finishing compared to the grinder, but it's way better with 2hp VS compared to the craftsman 2x42 which ran at 4500rpm only.

Jim, I find these very useful. I can start sanding at 400 if I'm careful after shaping with these:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=63451&cat=1,42524
I'm kind of old school. i bought the #49 and #50 hand cut Brazilian Nicholson cabinet makers rasps a number years ago on the recommendation of Karl Anderson. I gave one to Claude Bouchonville and still have the other one. I may have to try one of those. When i get the spare $160, I also want to buy one of the adjustable Japanese chamfer planes with the blue steel laminated blade that some the guys over there use to shape the facets on wa handles. What I would love to get is whatever pattern makers rasps that the English bespoke shoe makers like John Lobb use to make the lasts/patterns for their custom shoes.

I really wanted to take part this year but my last order totally kicked my ass (had to completely remake a blade) and I really need to take a short hiatus as we are having a baby, scheduled for the 18th! (scheduled, haha) there is no way I am getting a blade done by the end of the month!

Those lee valley files look awesome!

Last edited:
I really wanted to take part this year but my last order totally kicked my ass (had to completely remake a blade) and I really need to take a short hiatus as we are having a baby, scheduled for the 18th! (scheduled, haha) there is no way I am getting a blade done by the end of the month!

Those lee valley files look awesome!
Tim, you should check out the crazy expensive French hand cut rasps like the like Auriou and Liogier. I have heard complaints about the latest batch of Brazilian made Nicholsons, so some some are either only selling the French models or have started stocking the Grobert rasps or both. One selling has their now bespoke line that they are selling along sidetone Auriou rasps. The Groberts seem similar to the old Nicholsons, but cost more. They are all freaking expensive compared regular files, but some are "only" like $70 while others are selling forasmuch as $130!!!

wow! I would love to own just one for true-ing up sculpted handles. It seems worth 70$ if they actually last.

For those that are interested, StewMac, the guitar builder supplier, has their pointy Dragon hand struck rasps starting at $35.

Aaaand I'm out. I apologize, but I just won't have any time to spend on this and don't want to just hack something out.

wow! I would love to own just one for true-ing up sculpted handles. It seems worth 70$ if they actually last.

The ones from lee valley last quite well. I've been using the same three rasps for over three years. They're not for steel though. The needle rasps on the other pages cut really fast as well.

I might be out, been falling further and further behind on this batch. Not sure I'll be able to get to HT before the deadline. I'd rather not waste nitrogen, and aeb-L without cryo isn't exactly an option

I might be out, been falling further and further behind on this batch. Not sure I'll be able to get to HT before the deadline. I'd rather not waste nitrogen, and aeb-L without cryo isn't exactly an option
So we are just a waste of nitrogen to you now? Gee thanks. :(

So we are just a waste of nitrogen to you now? Gee thanks. :(
I've got about 100 knives awaiting HT right now, the deadline came a lot faster than expected. Making enough knives to keep the bills paid got in the way...
I'll try to get one done in time, just don't count on it. Might use a different steel to avoid cryo...

Back