2017 Summer Kitchen KITH.

Unfortunately, I see too many cosmetic flaws in the knives I finished to exchange with y'all, so I think I need to drop out. Sorry, but I think it's for the best. Maybe next time.
~billyO

Unfortunately, I see too many cosmetic flaws in the knives I finished to exchange with y'all, so I think I need to drop out. Sorry, but I think it's for the best. Maybe next time.
~billyO

It's your call, but I don't police submissions.

Thanks. I was something different for me. It was some what challenging but I think it came out alright. Still need to sharpen it.

I get it, but I don't want to submit a blade with obvious cosmetic flaws for someone else and get a beautiful blade for myself....
It happens. I wouldn't sweat it. It's part of the deal. The idea isn't (for me anyway) to score a great knife. Though that's a side benefit. To me, it's so makers of variable skill can get feedback and help/ learn from each other.

I'm a rank newbie, so I don't know if I could pass muster for a kith with y'all. But I am a kitchen knife fanatic, does that count for anything?

Would this knife be acceptable to participate? I know there are things I would change if I were to do it again, but that's part of the learning process? I'm in if y'all think it's acceptable enough.

pX6Eh5xl.jpg

XCRYOchl.jpg
Awesome knife! Did you forge the blade?

"Unfortunately, I see too many cosmetic flaws in the knives I finished to exchange with y'all, so I think I need to drop out. Sorry, but I think it's for the best. Maybe next time."
~billyO

I hear you. I just don't know how to make a knife I can't find a flaw in....
true! i completely agree with kevin. there is always flaws ...the main thing is: will the knife put a smile on your face as you make dinner? performance is what is really important with these knives, we arnt trading display pieces.

Huge second on that one. Looks are secondary to function in my book. If it performs, I would be happy to have it in my kitchen. It's not like the look of my kitchen is anything to write home about...

Thanks! I gotta admit, it might be a bit selfish, but I'm hoping that one of the Knifemakers get it so I can get a detailed assessment of where I'm at with my skills. Oh, and I think what you are seeing is the bevels on the blade. It's a full flat plungeless grind, and the blade is facing up in the picture.
It's definitely going to a maker if it's in the KITH. Don't be afraid to say "one of the better makers". That's what I hope for as well. Though this is easy for me, since most of the makers in this KITH are out of my league. I felt a little bad last year when I got a beautiful knife from Kiraki. I had very little in terms of constructive criticism to offer. this is said knife. He said it's a camp knife, so as pretty as it is, it gets used as one! IMG_20170815_185116529.jpg

Awesome knife! Did you forge the blade?

No it is stock removal with hammered texture for aiding food release, not forged to shape. I would like to forge to shape eventually to be able to use a wide variety of metals and maybe eventually integrals, but not possible due to my workshop issues at this time, i.e. my workshop is an apartment balcony. People tend to get annoyed with the sound of steel being hammered after about fifteen minutes. LOL

I don't know if I'll get my entry done before the deadline, but I'm not giving up until it's September 1st.

It's definitely going to a maker if it's in the KITH. Don't be afraid to say "one of the better makers". That's what I hope for as well. Though this is easy for me, since most of the makers in this KITH are out of my league. I felt a little bad last year when I got a beautiful knife from Kiraki. I had very little in terms of constructive criticism to offer. this is said knife. He said it's a camp knife, so as pretty as it is, it gets used as one! View attachment 753842
I guess when I say "knifemaker" I mean those who hold a knifemaker/craftsman membership. The vast majority of you guys with that level of membership are a step above most of the rest of us knife tinkerers in quality. Granted, there are exceptions, but that's the average. That's the guys that I'm hoping to send mine to.
Weo, I've been tinkering at this for quite a few years, and I still haven't made a knife that doesn't have flaws. I'm not sure if it's possible to make a knife with no flaws, as we get better, it's just harder to spot the flaws. On the one I made the bolster isn't quite square to the rest of the handle and blade. It's just a shave, and less noticeable now that the handle is contoured, but it still bugs me. I'd be happy to receive any of the blades you posted up, but what I get isn't the true value of the KITH. The critique and advice I receive is the real value to me - what did I do right, what did I do wrong, how can I do it better.

I guess when I say "knifemaker" I mean those who hold a knifemaker/craftsman membership. The vast majority of you guys with that level of membership are a step above most of the rest of us knife tinkerers in quality. Granted, there are exceptions, but that's the average. That's the guys that I'm hoping to send mine to.
Weo, I've been tinkering at this for quite a few years, and I still haven't made a knife that doesn't have flaws. I'm not sure if it's possible to make a knife with no flaws, as we get better, it's just harder to spot the flaws. On the one I made the bolster isn't quite square to the rest of the handle and blade. It's just a shave, and less noticeable now that the handle is contoured, but it still bugs me. I'd be happy to receive any of the blades you posted up, but what I get isn't the true value of the KITH. The critique and advice I receive is the real value to me - what did I do right, what did I do wrong, how can I do it better.
I got you. I just paid for the membership because I wanted to support the site, and I sold one Ruana knife a few months back.

Well....OK, y'all talked me into it :confused:, I guess I'll submit the paring knife with the blue handle if y'all think that's acceptable.

so...I guess...I'm in.

as always
peace and love
billyO

Back