2018 #82 Dixie Stockman and Possum Skinner Run

I dont think they made a lot of 82s this run, either 3 or 2 blade.

These will be highly sought after in the near future, imo.

The thinness of the possum skinner is making me think I need one for front pocket carry. That is maximum blade in minimum package.

The 82s are basically the size of a Case trapper, but the possum skinner looks mich thinner due to the crinked blades on single spring.

You guys are jerks:D:p, I was going to skip this pattern altogether, then I read this thread and ended up ordering a stag stockman last night.:rolleyes: Now the waiting game begins.

Fellas, I need your advice. I told myself that I would limit my knife purchases for the new year - only picking up three from GEC's 2019 lineup and whatever the forum knife turns out to be. Then the #82s in the elderberry jigged bone dropped and the stockman just-so-happens to be my favorite slipjoint pattern. I have been kicking myself for not picking up an #81 stockman when I had the chance back in 2013 and would hate to make the same mistake twice. I am now dangerously close to breaking my resolution.

So I must ask: is the #82 worth it?

If you get an 82 I would expect you could easily get all or most of your money back from a well cared for user, so if its not a favorite you can pass it along.

Fellas, I need your advice. I told myself that I would limit my knife purchases for the new year - only picking up three from GEC's 2019 lineup and whatever the forum knife turns out to be. Then the #82s in the elderberry jigged bone dropped and the stockman just-so-happens to be my favorite slipjoint pattern. I have been kicking myself for not picking up an #81 stockman when I had the chance back in 2013 and would hate to make the same mistake twice. I am now dangerously close to breaking my resolution.

The Copperhead Stockman I purchased is the first GEC knife to stay in my pocket for more than three weeks. I always rotate every week. The two secondary blades are amazing in themselves. Some of the best fit & finish I've seen from GEC on mine. Other than that; don't let my opinion sway you.

BJnQy7x.jpg

I bought the Tidioute in Micarta because I wasn’t sure what the availability would be like on these, and I didn’t want to miss this run. Then I bought the Tidioute in jigged bone for the same reason. Then I bought the Northfield jigged bone because that’s the one I really wanted out of this run. THEN, I saw this guy and broke my shieldless stag fast.

It’s a struggle, you guys.

Wow, that's an incredible one! I thought the stags would be a lot more difficult to get also. There are several still in stock at several dealers! I, on the otherhand, am happy about the shieldless stag. I think I usually prefer stag shieldless, although some do look good.

Just got my order of Possum Skinners in and I am very impressed! The knife is very slim and comfortable, and a pattern (single spring) that you just don't see much anymore, especially in 'jack knife' size; I consider this a 'double ended serpentine jack' just like a couple of our previous forum knife versions! Pretty neat. :thumbsup:

Bill did two-blade single-spring versions of the 81 and 66 as well, but there weren't as many made. :oops::oops::oops:

GZVq8Iu.jpg

XWGwATY.jpg

Well, I was on the fence about getting one of these because I have the 3 blade but your top down picture just pushed me over the edge I think! I love a single spring two blader, and this blade shape combo couldn't get much more practical. That thing is THIN!

Personally, I prefer the lighter pulls we're seeing on many of the newer GEC runs. When the 82 Possum Skinner is compared to a 79 "Workhorse" from 2013 it's like night and day, and my senior age hands really appreciate the difference. I've come to like the 79 due to it's slim frame (single spring) and pocketability and have carried and used this particular knife a lot. This Possum Skinner has lighter and cleaner action and a great choice of curved and straight blades. It is a super pattern and I'm carrying the micarta model again today, and although it came sharp, I will put the fine diamond Lansky to the blades later, so she cleanly shaves hair (without soap!).

As long as they snap closed, a lighter pull (2-5) is better for a user I think. Not that I dislike a manageable strong pull (6-8).

I recently sold my 2014 indian paint brush jigged bone 82 to fund another knife and I'm not sure about it. I don't think I need two of a pattern, but still. I've certainly sold more knives than I can remember, and every now and then I regret one. But at least I have the stag 82!

What I have learned in my short time in this community is if you think you might want a knife buy it or it will be gone by the time you decide. You will regret not getting one more than you will breaking your resolution.

If there's a Possum Skinner picture anywhere with the Clip blade closed and the Wharncliffe fully open, can someone point me to it? Or would someone be kind enough to post such a picture?

Thanks.

I’m skipping the possum skinner. For a knife this length, I don’t want one so skinny as the single spring is. The micarta stockman thickness is perfect for me. Plus, 3 blades is better than 2! :D

Trying to resist this one as well. But that GEC canvas micarta is some of my favorite cover material, and this one looks especially nice with the light/dark contrast. It should be extra nice with some pocket wear.

So I posted earlier in the thread about this being my first higher end slipjoint. I only have a few cases and saks for reference. Well, I got it for christmas and have been carrying it everyday since. I meant to to post earlier but I wanted to get a great picture with some patina, which I now have. Unfortunately im not signed up with any photo sharing websites, so alas there is still no picture. But I digress. On to the observations/ review:
(Tidioute Dixie Stockman, copperhead bone)
Initial impression: a bit underwhelmed actually. I pictured it to be a little bigger and overall more stout. I thought that the frame and liners and blades etc were all pretty thin, at least compared to my former favorite knife, case trapper CV in amber bone. But as I inspected further it became clear that this GEC knife is of very fine craftsmanship and detail. Looking past the lean construction I saw that the thin blades were beautifully finished, and fitted into the frame precisely. The bone handles are rich in color and suitbly even on both sides. Knowing that the houndstooth shield is pinned is a nice insurance. I have a few small descrepancies which ive accepted and now consider part of the character of the knife. On the back of the knife between the springs, the liner rises up just so slightly as to make a protrusion, most noticeable on the end with two blades. This is pretty minor but a flaw imo. Next is that I cannot actually see between the wharncliffe and drop point when closed. Are they touching? I have seen no blade rub as of yet but I know that its possible with most stockmans. If I drag a nail across the bone it will catch on the bolster on all sides, I domt know if this can be any smoother, but they are not immaculately matched. Pulls and snap are a bit lighter than id like but im growing fond of this level of strength.

All that said, ive fallen completely in love with this knife as ive carried it for a few weeks now. Ive used it for many things and ive got a nice patina going on the clip since I use it for food. Ive passed the blades across the sticks and strop a few times and im loving the steel. 20 degrees on the Lasky get er done. This baby looks great and packs some seriously sexy bladage. I hve pretty much committed to buying more from this company. I think this knife is basically worth what I paid, but id still love to see the prices on these down about 25% of what they are. But im gonna need some more of these for my collection, thats for sure, theyre just so damn nice! I regret not waiting for the elderberry, which is stunning, but im extremely happy with this copperhead. In another few months when worj picks up ill see whats available and hopefully get another gec, northfield, or tidioute as nice as this. Ive been following the thread since day one, nice knives yall. Those possum skinners are great too!

Back