2018 #82 Dixie Stockman and Possum Skinner Run

So I posted earlier in the thread about this being my first higher end slipjoint. I only have a few cases and saks for reference. Well, I got it for christmas and have been carrying it everyday since. I meant to to post earlier but I wanted to get a great picture with some patina, which I now have. Unfortunately im not signed up with any photo sharing websites, so alas there is still no picture. But I digress. On to the observations/ review:
(Tidioute Dixie Stockman, copperhead bone)
Initial impression: a bit underwhelmed actually. I pictured it to be a little bigger and overall more stout. I thought that the frame and liners and blades etc were all pretty thin, at least compared to my former favorite knife, case trapper CV in amber bone. But as I inspected further it became clear that this GEC knife is of very fine craftsmanship and detail. Looking past the lean construction I saw that the thin blades were beautifully finished, and fitted into the frame precisely. The bone handles are rich in color and suitbly even on both sides. Knowing that the houndstooth shield is pinned is a nice insurance. I have a few small descrepancies which ive accepted and now consider part of the character of the knife. On the back of the knife between the springs, the liner rises up just so slightly as to make a protrusion, most noticeable on the end with two blades. This is pretty minor but a flaw imo. Next is that I cannot actually see between the wharncliffe and drop point when closed. Are they touching? I have seen no blade rub as of yet but I know that its possible with most stockmans. If I drag a nail across the bone it will catch on the bolster on all sides, I domt know if this can be any smoother, but they are not immaculately matched. Pulls and snap are a bit lighter than id like but im growing fond of this level of strength.

All that said, ive fallen completely in love with this knife as ive carried it for a few weeks now. Ive used it for many things and ive got a nice patina going on the clip since I use it for food. Ive passed the blades across the sticks and strop a few times and im loving the steel. 20 degrees on the Lasky get er done. This baby looks great and packs some seriously sexy bladage. I hve pretty much committed to buying more from this company. I think this knife is basically worth what I paid, but id still love to see the prices on these down about 25% of what they are. But im gonna need some more of these for my collection, thats for sure, theyre just so damn nice! I regret not waiting for the elderberry, which is stunning, but im extremely happy with this copperhead. In another few months when worj picks up ill see whats available and hopefully get another gec, northfield, or tidioute as nice as this. Ive been following the thread since day one, nice knives yall. Those possum skinners are great too!

First off, welcome to the forums! (I don't believe I caught your earlier posts so please forgive the late welcome)

Perception regarding the overall fit and finish of a knife can be a rather subjective thing. Despite that though, there are many things that the majority of folks can agree on or rather, agree to disagree on. One of the dealers here includes a snippet with each model regarding his opinion on the overall factory effort compared to what he has come to expect from them. He rated these recent 82s at a 6 out of a 10 where I think the typical ratings he has for GECs are around a 7 or 8, I've even seen a 9! That tells me that these knives came a bit below the usual expectations, perhaps he might chime in and explain his evaluation some. Now I have two of these 82s and am rather happy but I haven't put them through any serious use yet.

The 82 pattern has the appeal of being a slim, tightly made knife, in the size and utility of a larger sized Stockman. Blade rub is going to be typical and the thin stock is going to appeal to those who want efficient cutters. The one in Stag is going to become my hunting companion and I think it will serve rather well in that capacity.

All that said, I am pleased you are happy with the knife and I hope that you get enjoyment out of GEC's future offerings as well!

U urbantrapper Good review and interesting observations. You say you can't see between the Wharncliffe & Drop-Point, well nor should you:D These knives are krinked and 'nested' very tightly and if the blades are not rubbing or touching it means it's excellently putogether. This is an unusual type of Stockman in all ways, it's long, sleek, lowriding contrasts with more burly types. Moreover, GEC has deliberately deviated from the 'norm' of Clip, Sheepfoot,Spey by having long Wharncliffe and good size Drop-Point. All blades lay low, so when using the knife you don't get that (In my never humble view:D) annoying hump Sheepfoot blade digging in the hand that some Stockman provide. Because it has no half-stops (good thing...) the pull will be milder.

The only thing I don't like the sound of is that liner rising up, sure you can't post a picture??

I hope you will get more into the GEC Groove as time and finances allow.

Thanks, Will

Buzzbait Buzzbait Hoping it's OK to add a 2 blade 82 to your Dixie Stockman thread. :)

I'm pleased to have this sweet, two blade, Possum Skinner! No blade rub evident, no flushing necessary, just clean, sharp, smooth, and in my pocket now. GEC did an outstanding job getting this one tight and right. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

j5ytbjk.jpg

Boiling over with impatience for my Micarta Skinner to get to me:D

That one looks remarkable James:cool:

First off, welcome to the forums! (I don't believe I caught your earlier posts so please forgive the late welcome)

Perception regarding the overall fit and finish of a knife can be a rather subjective thing. Despite that though, there are many things that the majority of folks can agree on or rather, agree to disagree on. One of the dealers here includes a snippet with each model regarding his opinion on the overall factory effort compared to what he has come to expect from them. He rated these recent 82s at a 6 out of a 10 where I think the typical ratings he has for GECs are around a 7 or 8, I've even seen a 9! That tells me that these knives came a bit below the usual expectations, perhaps he might chime in and explain his evaluation some. Now I have two of these 82s and am rather happy but I haven't put them through any serious use yet.

The 82 pattern has the appeal of being a slim, tightly made knife, in the size and utility of a larger sized Stockman. Blade rub is going to be typical and the thin stock is going to appeal to those who want efficient cutters. The one in Stag is going to become my hunting companion and I think it will serve rather well in that capacity.

All that said, I am pleased you are happy with the knife and I hope that you get enjoyment out of GEC's future offerings as well!

Subjective indeed. I dont have much base for my criticisms anyway. I would also like to know why that gentlemen rated this run as a 6 out of 10. Ive heard overwhelmingly positive things about this knife and I reviewed a fair amount before dropping this kind of coin on a knife. 100$ was my previous limit, but I had to see what these were all about and broke that rule. Now that i have developed a taste for the finer things I can forsee the wallet getting thinner in the future.

I just compared my 2018 copperhead to my 2014 Osage Orange, I would say this run of knives are near the top of GEC quality. As others have mentioned, the blades nest on a stockman and this means there is extra skill involved in the manufacturing. There is real danger of blade rubbing too, which is why they can’t have strong pulls. I have some GEC knives that have slightly disappointed me, but not the 82s.

Fellas, I need your advice. I told myself that I would limit my knife purchases for the new year - only picking up three from GEC's 2019 lineup and whatever the forum knife turns out to be. Then the #82s in the elderberry jigged bone dropped and the stockman just-so-happens to be my favorite slipjoint pattern. I have been kicking myself for not picking up an #81 stockman when I had the chance back in 2013 and would hate to make the same mistake twice. I am now dangerously close to breaking my resolution.

So I must ask: is the #82 worth it?

Yes, definitley if you ask me. I really like this pattern and the Possum Skinners are maybe my new favorite pattern. The size, the handfeel, the blades (I never thought that I would say this about a Muskrat clip), the thinness the fit and finish, not alot for me to complain about. I am biased though and love pen blades. Finally received my Northfield Possum skinner and I am in love, micarta is usually my favorite, but, they nailed the coloring on the elderberry, Very dark red, very little lightening where the covers transition to meet the bolsters, it looks better than my pic shows.

PossumSk_BF.JPG PossumSk1 _BF.JPG

This afternoon I did a quick comparison between a queen #9 stockman and my 82

S4r5KXg.jpg

Key points of difference were that the GEC has sharper and cleaner grind lines on the blades, and vastly superior walk on the blades. The Queen suffers from variable resistance as the blade moves through its arc, whereas the GEC’s blades are even until the moment when the blades snaps to the open or closed position. Although pull strength across all six of the blades was variable, they are much the same - around that 5-6 mark. The GEC’s secondary blades were easier to access which improved leverage and made them seem softer.

Last edited:
I got my natural micarta 82 PS today. I really like these opposed two blade knives like 81 moose, coonskinner and now this possum skinner. I am really happy with my new 82. It is a very slim large knife. The warncliff blade is large enough to be useful but small enough to do fine tasks. The large slender clip point is seems well thought out. Both blades are are comfortable when the other is closed. The fit and finish are very good minus the normal sunken pin. I actually like the hot dog shield on this knife. It passes the hold it up to the light test. The joints sit flush open or closed on both blades Blade pull is around a 6. My 81 moose was around a 3 and had to be sent to gec for adjustment.

Thanks so much for all the great pictures, reviews and opinions in this thread!
I have one of the Elderberry Possums on order, which will be the biggest Traditional in my little collection.
Really curious how this will feel in hand...
Have a good weekend everyone,
mat

Yes, definitley if you ask me. I really like this pattern and the Possum Skinners are maybe my new favorite pattern. The size, the handfeel, the blades (I never thought that I would say this about a Muskrat clip), the thinness the fit and finish, not alot for me to complain about. I am biased though and love pen blades. Finally received my Northfield Possum skinner and I am in love, micarta is usually my favorite, but, they nailed the coloring on the elderberry, Very dark red, very little lightening where the covers transition to meet the bolsters, it looks better than my pic shows.

View attachment 1052434 View attachment 1052435

Thanks for the pix and overview:thumbsup:

Really rich colour that, like Portwine :cool: I was fearing some streaky colour, glad I'm wrong.

Regards, Will

I’m not keeping track of GEC models, I only have two and don’t need more. 24 hours ago I didn’t know about «Dixie stockman», nor did I know what the 82 pattern was.

Now, after reading every page of this thread, I’m out 120 $ (shipping and tax/vat), and have to prepare myself for more than a week of waiting.

Thanks a lot.

I’m not keeping track of GEC models, I only have two and don’t need more. 24 hours ago I didn’t know about «Dixie stockman», nor did I know what the 82 pattern was.

Now, after reading every page of this thread, I’m out 120 $ (shipping and tax/vat), and have to prepare myself for more than

Which version did you decide to go with?

Can someone post a top down comparison pic of the Stockman next to the Possum? Just curious how much thinner the Possums are. Thanks to anyone who obliges!

Back