2018 #82 Dixie Stockman and Possum Skinner Run

Can someone post a top down comparison pic of the Stockman next to the Possum? Just curious how much thinner the Possums are. Thanks to anyone who obliges!

Here ya go

W0Zr4LH.jpg

VABL7C6.jpg

Wow, those are slim.

Yes, yes they are lol. Actually slimmer than I thought they would be and boy those blades are tucked in there tight!

I have a stag coming to me which will be thicker than the micarta Stockman I have. I guess it makes sense to get the Possum also?? (This after saying I would pass on them hahaha)

Got my stag stockman today, wow! I am very pleased with everything about this knife. Blades are tucked in nicely. I am in love with the alternative blade combo of drop point and warncliff. It has already done some kitchen duty, made short work of some apple, shallots, and steak.
I know people have not been impressed with the stag on the run, however the example I selected is beautiful. A little thicker than the micarta with nice character.
I plan on making this my EDC for the foreseeable future. This is my first stag and want to see how it ages. Overall I am very excited.

Subjective indeed. I dont have much base for my criticisms anyway. I would also like to know why that gentlemen rated this run as a 6 out of 10. Ive heard overwhelmingly positive things about this knife and I reviewed a fair amount before dropping this kind of coin on a knife. 100$ was my previous limit, but I had to see what these were all about and broke that rule. Now that i have developed a taste for the finer things I can forsee the wallet getting thinner in the future.

I also had that 100$ rule.. But imagine that the 100 $ limit is the edge of a bottomless pit. Going over 100 bucks is the same as throwing yourself of that edge. You can’t go back and it will only get worse! Good luck :thumbsup::)

We should get together and force Lamnia to get more GEC in stock then!

Mmmh , well their prices don't attract me, even with postal costs&import-tax I can get it better than they offer.

Anyway, the wait is INTOLERABLE at the moment :eek::D:D

So I posted earlier in the thread about this being my first higher end slipjoint. I only have a few cases and saks for reference. Well, I got it for christmas and have been carrying it everyday since. I meant to to post earlier but I wanted to get a great picture with some patina, which I now have. Unfortunately im not signed up with any photo sharing websites, so alas there is still no picture. But I digress. On to the observations/ review:
(Tidioute Dixie Stockman, copperhead bone)
Initial impression: a bit underwhelmed actually. I pictured it to be a little bigger and overall more stout. I thought that the frame and liners and blades etc were all pretty thin, at least compared to my former favorite knife, case trapper CV in amber bone. But as I inspected further it became clear that this GEC knife is of very fine craftsmanship and detail. Looking past the lean construction I saw that the thin blades were beautifully finished, and fitted into the frame precisely. The bone handles are rich in color and suitbly even on both sides. Knowing that the houndstooth shield is pinned is a nice insurance. I have a few small descrepancies which ive accepted and now consider part of the character of the knife. On the back of the knife between the springs, the liner rises up just so slightly as to make a protrusion, most noticeable on the end with two blades. This is pretty minor but a flaw imo. Next is that I cannot actually see between the wharncliffe and drop point when closed. Are they touching? I have seen no blade rub as of yet but I know that its possible with most stockmans. If I drag a nail across the bone it will catch on the bolster on all sides, I domt know if this can be any smoother, but they are not immaculately matched. Pulls and snap are a bit lighter than id like but im growing fond of this level of strength.

All that said, ive fallen completely in love with this knife as ive carried it for a few weeks now. Ive used it for many things and ive got a nice patina going on the clip since I use it for food. Ive passed the blades across the sticks and strop a few times and im loving the steel. 20 degrees on the Lasky get er done. This baby looks great and packs some seriously sexy bladage. I hve pretty much committed to buying more from this company. I think this knife is basically worth what I paid, but id still love to see the prices on these down about 25% of what they are. But im gonna need some more of these for my collection, thats for sure, theyre just so damn nice! I regret not waiting for the elderberry, which is stunning, but im extremely happy with this copperhead. In another few months when worj picks up ill see whats available and hopefully get another gec, northfield, or tidioute as nice as this. Ive been following the thread since day one, nice knives yall. Those possum skinners are great too!

Always interesting to see another's thoughts on a knife. It can be so individual/personal/subjective. Glad you've come to like it.

I personally am not a huge fan of the totally polished down look/feel of Case that gives them the no raised edges and no transitions feel. I also prefer thin blades over thick blades.

I just compared my 2018 copperhead to my 2014 Osage Orange, I would say this run of knives are near the top of GEC quality. As others have mentioned, the blades nest on a stockman and this means there is extra skill involved in the manufacturing. There is real danger of blade rubbing too, which is why they can’t have strong pulls. I have some GEC knives that have slightly disappointed me, but not the 82s.

I had an 82 from 2014 that I recently sold. The blades were not crinked as well as on my 2018. The 2014 had a stronger pull by a bit, and more snap. The 2014's pull won't strengthen of course, but I do think it will break in to be a bit more smooth and snappy. I really liked the color of my 2014 in Indian Paint brush, but didn't love the shield or jigging style. Kind of wanted to keep it, but I have a possum Skinner on the way now also haha

This afternoon I did a quick comparison between a queen #9 stockman and my 82

S4r5KXg.jpg

Key points of difference were that the GEC has sharper and cleaner grind lines on the blades, and vastly superior walk on the blades. The Queen suffers from variable resistance as the blade moves through its arc, whereas the GEC’s blades are even until the moment when the blades snaps to the open or closed position. Although pull strength across all six of the blades was variable, they are much the same - around that 5-6 mark. The GEC’s secondary blades were easier to access which improved leverage and made them seem softer.

I just love that Amber carved stag bone. I would buy more if the Queens weren't so variable in quality in ways that often don't show in pictures.

Here ya go

W0Zr4LH.jpg

VABL7C6.jpg

Oh man I can't wait for my Micarta possum Skinner. That will be an incredible user.

I really like muskrat clips and I also like wharncliffe blades. I’ve been considering a 48 improved trapper since they came out but haven’t bought one. Now I’m eying the 82 possum skinner with the same blades, different configuration. My knife budget it limited, so I have to be selective. So, my question is to those of you that have used both. Any thoughts on one vs the other? It would be a user for ranch-type work. Thanks.

Biggest difference is thickness and length. That said, I prefer the shorter wharncliff secondary on the possum skinner versus the longer version as seen on the trapper or a 13 clerk and a few others I'm missing. Cant go wrong with either but the PS will be much harder to find later due to the difference in manufacturing totals between the two options you listed.

I guess my copperhead stockman must have been the DUD of the bunch. Its still nice, but had I been able to handle it beforehand, I wouldn't have dropped nearly a buck twenty for it. Both secondaries were very dull compared to factory edges GEC has been putting out lately. Actions on those are extremely weak; virtually no snap on the drop point. The alignment of the blades while closed is not centered, causing noticable rub. There are spots on the edge surfaces of the bone that are roughly finished. And the the backsprings are not flush with one another, or the spacers/liners, while closed on one end. Its almost as it mine missed a step during the finishing process. Bummer.

Now my micarta Possum Skinner is flawlessly constructed. Good and slim, nice and thin. Great blades, wonderful edges. Good walk with a crisp snap on both blades. Pulls nearly perfect for the package presented. Micarta looks outstanding, although I'm sure some probably wish it had a bit more texture. But alas, the day after I recieved it, the extra brass piece on the pivot of the Warncliffe blade came loose, it now rotates on its pin about half a millimeter, just enough to bug me. I'm contemplating sending it back to Titusville for a fix, but couldn't imagine being without this outstnading knife for possibly 3 or 4 months.. So I purchased a Northfield skinner today. Hoping they are as well put together as the Tidioutes.

I left home for six weeks on Friday. My Possum Skinner arrived on Saturday. The wait is killing me. I so had my fingers crossed that it would be a day early instead of a day late. I guess anticipation makes it all the more satisfying in the end.

Micarta Skinner arrived today after over a week in Customs..;)

Pen construction, single-spring two blades is my favourite and I suspect it is one of the most demanding patterns to finish well, so let's have a quick overview:

PULL Very good, these are not 'soft' or 'weak' but smooth. It may be that some people being used to half-stop construction expect a heavy pull. Not needed with cam-tang.

SNAP Brisk loud, about equal on both blades.

BLADE RUB None at all.

BLADE PLAY None at all.

GAPS One fractional under very strong light.

BOLSTER to scale and radiusing, excellent smooth.

PIN WORK Generally very good, slightly sunk, blade side centre pins. But not the sink-holes you can disappear into:eek::D

ANY NEGATIVES? The Wharncliffe blade's spring is slightly sunk on open, this is a personal hatred of mine:eek: but it is, in fairness, only minor. (But I can still feel rough liners when placing the thumb on it:thumbsdown:) Odd, because the Master blade is flush on open. Both blades flush on closed.

Now I've polished the bolsters and shield, the knife looks the part.:cool: My preference is always for polished bolsters but many have an opposite pov. Very handsome and credible knife, very well made and the blades are really appealing. Might be interesting to consider what it would be like with a Drop-Point secondary.

You know, this would make an excellent FORUM KNIFE in say Ivory Bone or Burgundy Micarta with a special shield- Diamond would be my choice. But I don't suppose it will get the nod :rolleyes:

Back