1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

2018 #82 Dixie Stockman and Possum Skinner Run

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Buzzbait, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Pr3inar

Pr3inar

Oct 17, 2015
    Me? Norway

2. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Ah, right, not so far away from me in Finland then:cool:

urbantrapper and Pr3inar like this.
  3. rockgolfer

rockgolfer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Here ya go

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. pmek5

pmek5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Wow, those are slim.

5. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Yes, yes they are lol. Actually slimmer than I thought they would be and boy those blades are tucked in there tight!

I have a stag coming to me which will be thicker than the micarta Stockman I have. I guess it makes sense to get the Possum also?? (This after saying I would pass on them hahaha)

tmd_87, Ramrodmb, pmek5 and 2 others like this.
  6. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Got my stag stockman today, wow! I am very pleased with everything about this knife. Blades are tucked in nicely. I am in love with the alternative blade combo of drop point and warncliff. It has already done some kitchen duty, made short work of some apple, shallots, and steak.
    I know people have not been impressed with the stag on the run, however the example I selected is beautiful. A little thicker than the micarta with nice character.
    I plan on making this my EDC for the foreseeable future. This is my first stag and want to see how it ages. Overall I am very excited.

7. Pr3inar

Pr3inar

Oct 17, 2015
    We should get together and force Lamnia to get more GEC in stock then!

8. Pr3inar

Pr3inar

Oct 17, 2015
    I also had that 100$ rule.. But imagine that the 100 $ limit is the edge of a bottomless pit. Going over 100 bucks is the same as throwing yourself of that edge. You can’t go back and it will only get worse! Good luck :thumbsup::)

9. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Mmmh , well their prices don't attract me, even with postal costs&import-tax I can get it better than they offer.

Anyway, the wait is INTOLERABLE at the moment :eek::D:D

Jolipapa likes this.
  10. StuntDouble

StuntDouble

Apr 26, 2004

I'm glad to see my Dixie Stockman isn't the only one with those "crevices" on the locking surface. Interesting that they don't seem to be present on the two blade model.

11. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Always interesting to see another's thoughts on a knife. It can be so individual/personal/subjective. Glad you've come to like it.

I personally am not a huge fan of the totally polished down look/feel of Case that gives them the no raised edges and no transitions feel. I also prefer thin blades over thick blades.

I had an 82 from 2014 that I recently sold. The blades were not crinked as well as on my 2018. The 2014 had a stronger pull by a bit, and more snap. The 2014's pull won't strengthen of course, but I do think it will break in to be a bit more smooth and snappy. I really liked the color of my 2014 in Indian Paint brush, but didn't love the shield or jigging style. Kind of wanted to keep it, but I have a possum Skinner on the way now also haha

I just love that Amber carved stag bone. I would buy more if the Queens weren't so variable in quality in ways that often don't show in pictures.

Oh man I can't wait for my Micarta possum Skinner. That will be an incredible user.

urbantrapper likes this.
  12. Sacto

Sacto Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 27, 2017
    I really like muskrat clips and I also like wharncliffe blades. I’ve been considering a 48 improved trapper since they came out but haven’t bought one. Now I’m eying the 82 possum skinner with the same blades, different configuration. My knife budget it limited, so I have to be selective. So, my question is to those of you that have used both. Any thoughts on one vs the other? It would be a user for ranch-type work. Thanks.

13. rockgolfer

rockgolfer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Biggest difference is thickness and length. That said, I prefer the shorter wharncliff secondary on the possum skinner versus the longer version as seen on the trapper or a 13 clerk and a few others I'm missing. Cant go wrong with either but the PS will be much harder to find later due to the difference in manufacturing totals between the two options you listed.

Sacto likes this.
  14. oldmanwilly

oldmanwilly Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Thanks for your thoughts @nyrico and others. I broke down and ordered an elderberry stockman last Thursday and it's supposed to arrive tomorrow. I think my new resolution is not to miss a run of a GEC I like.

Note to self: don't ask advice here and expect to save money.

Thanks,
    Will

15. Ajd3530

Ajd3530

Jan 20, 2017
    I guess my copperhead stockman must have been the DUD of the bunch. Its still nice, but had I been able to handle it beforehand, I wouldn't have dropped nearly a buck twenty for it. Both secondaries were very dull compared to factory edges GEC has been putting out lately. Actions on those are extremely weak; virtually no snap on the drop point. The alignment of the blades while closed is not centered, causing noticable rub. There are spots on the edge surfaces of the bone that are roughly finished. And the the backsprings are not flush with one another, or the spacers/liners, while closed on one end. Its almost as it mine missed a step during the finishing process. Bummer.

Now my micarta Possum Skinner is flawlessly constructed. Good and slim, nice and thin. Great blades, wonderful edges. Good walk with a crisp snap on both blades. Pulls nearly perfect for the package presented. Micarta looks outstanding, although I'm sure some probably wish it had a bit more texture. But alas, the day after I recieved it, the extra brass piece on the pivot of the Warncliffe blade came loose, it now rotates on its pin about half a millimeter, just enough to bug me. I'm contemplating sending it back to Titusville for a fix, but couldn't imagine being without this outstnading knife for possibly 3 or 4 months.. So I purchased a Northfield skinner today. Hoping they are as well put together as the Tidioutes.

16. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    A knife like that must be returned, in my view at least.

17. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    I left home for six weeks on Friday. My Possum Skinner arrived on Saturday. The wait is killing me. I so had my fingers crossed that it would be a day early instead of a day late. I guess anticipation makes it all the more satisfying in the end.

18. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    I have never believed that to be true.

JohnDF likes this.
  19. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Micarta Skinner arrived today after over a week in Customs..;)

Pen construction, single-spring two blades is my favourite and I suspect it is one of the most demanding patterns to finish well, so let's have a quick overview:

PULL Very good, these are not 'soft' or 'weak' but smooth. It may be that some people being used to half-stop construction expect a heavy pull. Not needed with cam-tang.

SNAP Brisk loud, about equal on both blades.

BLADE RUB None at all.

BLADE PLAY None at all.

GAPS One fractional under very strong light.

BOLSTER to scale and radiusing, excellent smooth.

PIN WORK Generally very good, slightly sunk, blade side centre pins. But not the sink-holes you can disappear into:eek::D

ANY NEGATIVES? The Wharncliffe blade's spring is slightly sunk on open, this is a personal hatred of mine:eek: but it is, in fairness, only minor. (But I can still feel rough liners when placing the thumb on it:thumbsdown:) Odd, because the Master blade is flush on open. Both blades flush on closed.

Now I've polished the bolsters and shield, the knife looks the part.:cool: My preference is always for polished bolsters but many have an opposite pov. Very handsome and credible knife, very well made and the blades are really appealing. Might be interesting to consider what it would be like with a Drop-Point secondary.

You know, this would make an excellent FORUM KNIFE in say Ivory Bone or Burgundy Micarta with a special shield- Diamond would be my choice. But I don't suppose it will get the nod :rolleyes:

Pomsbz, nifebrite, Pr3inar and 8 others like this.
  20. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Nice Will, glad you like it.

It is interesting that GEC produced the possum skinner so soon after the Buck 2018 forum knife. Can’t help but wonder if they were trying to make a point.

JohnDF, tmd_87, urbantrapper and 2 others like this.